Murdoch17

Modular 1890's railroad station with canopy over the three tracks - Disney (71044) inspired real world MOC

This modular Victorian-era train station was inspired by set 71044, Disney train and Station. It now has a chimney flue featuring two fireplaces, freight area with dual sliding doors, and three loading platforms under a large canopy.

51159441200_bc33ccc2f8_z.jpg

The street facing portion of the station should have the year 1891 on the studs above the two main doors. (This was the year the 100% fictional station was built.)

51159441215_ba36fe7da3_z.jpg

The large clock on the tower is gone, replaced by a smaller version above the main door to the platform, while the word GLENNCOE (a slight misspelling of a real Missouri town... the real town only has one "N" in it's name.) goes above the right hand door, as this is the name of the station and the town it serves. Also in that general area of the model, you can see I removed the second floor balcony, as I thought it looked better being replaced by a window.

49905542413_632f7dc59b_z.jpg

The upper floor features the station master's office with desk and telephone, along with a much later addition than 1891, a computer to track train movements.

49906056396_6aa25c6a1f_z.jpg

The lower floor features the cargo depot with opening mailbox, and passenger waiting room with ticket desk. Six public waiting chairs are also included on this level.

49905542493_07817cb734_z.jpg

The station comes in several large, easy-to-take-apart sections:

-tower roof
-second floor hallway roof
-second floor
-first floor

51105717896_78c643051e_z.jpg

Train track 3-way switch designed by 4DBrix, printed by OKBrickworks. It works like a charm, and is used on the station as a funnel for trains to be switched to the proper platform.

NOTES:

51097655368_2db8f39c4b.jpg

This real-world picture of the REAL Glencoe station is from 1910. It no longer exists as a building, and this is the only known photo I could find, taken from the Facebook group, "Missouri railroad depot's and structures". (I had to ask if anyone had seen a picture, and this was it.)The rail line passed through there from the mid-1850's to the mid-1940's, when it was moved to it's current alignment, and the old one abandoned to nature. However, a little 12-inch gauge ride on railway now calls Glencoe home, as it has since the late 1950's. This station (and any of my LEGO trains lettered for the Wabash Frisco and Pacific, the name of the small 12-inch gauge line) are a tongue-in-cheek tribute to the rail line that has had such an impact on me growing up.. and still inspires me today!

EDIT 5/4/21: Added real life pictures of the canopy and updated train station to this post. I also changed the formatting a bit. Some pictures of the inside details remain to be changed over to the newer style. (I.E. with the canopy showing, not the old singular platform)

As usual, comments, questions, and complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

On 10/2/2019 at 12:56 PM, Carefree_Dude said:

I love how well you enclosed the model; I've been wanting to put a back on my disney train station 

Thanks! I just redid the model today to have a more modular feel, with removable roof sections. What do you think of it now?

I love your addition of the big covered area, The arches fit really well with the building. I'm not sure how I feel about the canopy though; I don't think it matches the architecture of the building itself very well. Would it be possible to do a glass panel canopy? Or would that not fit with the time period that you are trying to meet? 

Also your station itself is just really wonderful. Despite it having a similar facade to the disney station, It feels like a completely different building; so far to the point that if you had them sitting right next to each other they would still look very different.

Nice idea. A lot of stations have a covered area next to the main building. And you don't see it very often and is very tricky to do. I only feel that the covering is sticking out too much. It seems a bit too high with respect to the main building. Not sure how you can easily solve it though. Perhaps less curvature in the roof? Also did you consider the covering expanding on both sides of the building? It seem a little bit odd that the covering stops somewhere randomly along the main building.

49568976178_e47c69db2f_z.jpg

Revamped the first post, edited the heck out of the model to make it way cheaper, and got rid of the expensive train canopy... the model is about as complete as I can get without building in real bricks.

Any thoughts?

Work In Progress Update:

49602252051_c67fb1e1d1_z.jpg

I've found 1,497 parts out of 2,024 bricks for the Disney / Barretts station project I started last week. These ones shown are all the ones left to order. (I found the previous 1,497 bricks in my own supply or from the last tan Barretts station.) These remaining 527 bricks will be ordered most likely in early April or late March when funds become available.

On 2/29/2020 at 8:07 PM, Pdaitabird said:

The modifications look nice! It's a huge improvement on the official set. :thumbup:

Thanks @Pdaitabird! Here is another update on it:

49641185952_101438681e_z.jpg

My brother is learning how to render in Stud.io, so he asked me for a couple challenges to test his skills. This time he took my 1890's Barretts railroad station (modeled after set 71044, Disney train and station) and rendered it. This is the final form of the station, with the regular-size door to the freight storage room replaced with a mailbox. I also moved the station onto base-plates with the five track pieces permanently attached to the platform side. The missing parts *should* be ordered next week or sooner.

Well, it's taken a lot longer than I thought it would... but it's finally coming together!

49883008566_c935421759_z.jpg

The remaining 390 parts to this Victorian-era model have been ordered, and letters to name the station "Glenncoe" have been scrounged from my supply. The station should be built hopefully soon, (within maybe two weeks or so) depending on the mail service. This project has been in the works since the Disney train (set 71044) was released in late August / early September last year, with me avidly collecting parts since February of this year. Above we see all those parts I've been able to find in my own supply.

Any thoughts?

On 5/18/2020 at 12:02 PM, Carefree_Dude said:

That is  such a lovely station!

On 5/18/2020 at 11:21 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Well done ...I think it turned out looking good

Sorry for the late (really late) reply, @Carefree_Dude & @Roadmonkeytj, but thank you for your kind comments!

51094875767_170d3b95d0_z.jpg

I've constructed this canopy for my already-built station on my wild west layout. It will also feature the three way 3-D printed switch from OKBricks (it's actually a former 4DBricks product being printed by the OK Bricks team) and then two regular switches for expanding the tracks being used to five, but only the inner three having elevated platforms and being under the canopy. (Some 16 x 16 plates are missing, because the tolerances needed are not up to LDD requirements.) I'm confident this canopy will work in the brick though.... don't be surprised if you see this upgrade being added to the real life model within the month!

I love this station and the way you organized its modularity! :thumbup: The only thing it needs in my opinion is to be surrounded by lots of trees and flowers! :wub:. Great job!!! :classic:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Sorry to send you off topic, but you started me looking up Glencoe stations.

The one in Illinois must be the sweetest US Station I've ever seen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencoe_station

The one in Ontario is rather nice too

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencoe_station_(Ontario)

Edited by Tube Map Central
Extra link

4 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

I love this station and the way you organized its modularity! :thumbup: The only thing it needs in my opinion is to be surrounded by lots of trees and flowers! :wub:. Great job!!! :classic:

Ciao!

Davide

Someday, maybe it will. Thanks for the compliment too, @Paperinik77pk!

13 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

Sorry to send you off topic, but you started me looking up Glencoe stations.

The one in Illinois must be the sweetest US Station I've ever seen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencoe_station

The one in Ontario is rather nice too

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencoe_station_(Ontario)

Here is the original Missouri Pacific station at Glencoe, Missouri @Tube Map Central 

51097655368_2db8f39c4b.jpg

It no longer exists as a building, and this is the only known (1910 era) photo I could find, taken from the Facebook group, "Missouri railroad depot's and structures". (I had to ask if anyone had seen a picture, and this was it.)

Edited by Murdoch17

Minor update:

51099641519_76d3840ffb_z.jpg

The station will end up being a little smaller than I imagined it would be: Tracks 4 & 5 are gone for lack of room on the table... the upcoming canopy will barely fit the space as it stands now. (Not to mention the train only just fits!)

The canopy will be ordered as soon as the 4-2-4T and private car / three way switch arrive.

Edited by Murdoch17

Medium-size update:

51105717896_78c643051e_z.jpg

This 3-way track switch designed by 4DBrix, and printed quite nicely by OKBrickworks. It works like a charm, after 10 minutes of trying to put it together.... apparently it connects unlike Lego track in one area in-between switch sections 1 & 2, and you connect it from underneath to make it work. Me being me, I tried to click it into place like Lego track, and it made me feel pretty stupid to not have figured out sooner I was doing it wrong!

51105619733_1321f89c66_z.jpg

The three car passenger train barely fits on the left or right tracks. (using the middle one blocks the other tracks / switch with this specific train) On the middle track will be the private car and 4-2-4T, while the Neighborhood Trolley goes on the track with the switcher and rail-mobile.

Any questions?

Edited by Murdoch17

I just laid out the two passenger platforms this morning, by utilizing a cut-to-size 48 x 48 studs baseplate, slimmed down  to be just  24 x 48 for use with the station. (Basically, it was cut in half.) The canopy and it's support apparatus are all that's left for this model.

51112810850_ed23d6581b_z.jpg

Also of note, the 4-6-0 is now a 2-6-0, as I needed two wheels for my future 2-8-0. I had to shorten the front "deck" (just in front of pistons, but behind the catcher, of which I'm not sure what it's called) otherwise it would look comical with such a large overhang. Oh, and the 4-2-4T and private car's last order should finally be here today, which will have a home on the middle platform.

Well, after almost a month in Bricklink hell*, here it is: the canopy has been finally added in all it's glory to the Glencoe train station.

51159441200_bc33ccc2f8_z.jpg

Well, actually, it isn't really a s good as it could be. The parts for the middle connection (a 7-stud long Technic rod) are actually just a hair too short. Thus, I reinforced the roof at every other length with black 2x16 plates.... because otherwise, it'd practically be two halves standing near each other and not one whole.

So, in short: it works... barely.

51159441215_ba36fe7da3_z.jpg

Inside - or should I say, underneath - the three-and-a-half track long canopy.

*I got shipped someone else's parts order about two weeks back, just got what I ordered finally yesterday after sending the other package I got (accidentally) on the way to it's final destination about five days ago.

This project is finished once again... until something else to change catches my eye. But until then, it's D-O-N-E.