Sign in to follow this  
Chromeknight

High nose (maersk mod)

I never bought the maersk train. But after watching one tootle around our club layout I was inspired to see if I could build one from what I had. It was never going to be blue and grey, but having the panels in red lead me to that colour.

SD-40 high nose

Here is an progress shot, one element type needs replacing with the correct colour, otherwise it’s ready to roll.

And of course, it stiill needs lettering and numbering. Any tips on that would be appreciated.

And yes. I’m aware the GP-40-2 never had a high nose variant and the SD-40-2, which did, properly had Co trucks. Perhaps I should splurge on some of zephyr’s truck frames... 

Nice. If you're set on realism take a fan off and make it a gp38. It does look great with the high hood though.

Just now, dr_spock said:

Nice. Has a bit of  Mexico national railroad (N de M) color scheme to it.

I could also see this dressed up as a nice CN or CP 

While US railroads never ordered the GP40-2 with high short hood, a Mexican road did.  According to Wikipedia's page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_GP40-2 ),  Ferrocarril Sonora–Baja California had 8 of them, with steam generators in the short hood for passenger service; they were the only ones built.  This might be a picture of one:  http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2354392

The short Mexican road was later absorbed by NdeM; I don't know if it was the same as "Ferromex" or not.

Regardless, your interpretation of a high-nose GP40-2 looks very good, and my only real quibble is a matter of taste:  the standard Lego red seems much too bright and shiny to me, I'd rather see it in a darker, more subdued color scheme.