This is an expansion, upgrade and update of the Tiger 4 x 4 x 4

1280x677.jpg

The idea was to improve certain aspects of the 4x4 version:

1. The bewel gears were the weak part of the driveline, so the 6x6 uses additional 12:20 gearing after bewel gears, increasing available torque by 67%

800x423.jpg

2. Adding a second rear axle additonally helps to spread the load while climbing, increasing available overall torque by another 50%, allowing for a total of 2,5x more torque than 4x4.

3. Using defender wheels, and self-built hubs the pivot point is now a stud closer to the steering wheel and steering angle is increased from 18 to 25-30 degrees, removing the need for rear steering.

800x423.jpg

4. Center section was widened by 2 studs, allowing both gearboxes to be placed in parallel and the steering servo motor low in the center. Total gear reduction has been increased to 1:5 in high gear and 1:15 in low gear. Gear switching mechanism is now faster and more reliable.

800x423.jpg

5. Suspension is now pendular with a shock absorber in front and tandem axles with shock absorbes in the back. This allows the suspension to smoothly adjust to the terrain at slow speeds without wasting energy compressing the shock absorbers. At high speeds the shock aborbers smooth out the ride.

In the picture below you can see the blue 1x7 beams which swing and allow the front suspension to act like pendular:

800x423.jpg

6. The model now has working fake engine(s) and steering wheel.I'm thinking of adding a hook arm with a winch in the back, so I can use this model to pull others out during trial truck races :devil:

7. Number of motors have been reduced by removing rear wheel steering and having one motor for the gearbox, allowing to add aditional functions as before mentioned hook arm.

So...that's all about it for now, I'm only missing defender wheels to finish this monster. Yes it's going to be heavier and slower, but I expect it to be even more capable and reliable.

Edited by Zerobricks

Just now, Bartybum said:

Those colours hurt my brain, but damn this is a monster

You are a parrot, "pwetty cowols" should be interesting to you:devil: Don't worry I will use custom stickers with tiger stripes where possible.

It reminds me of Nissan Juke with those headlights :laugh: Seems to be a crazy beast so far, hook arm seems to be a fitting add-on.

Here's the more or less finished beauty:

1280x960.jpg

Compared to the previous 4x4 version here are the improvements:

• It can climb much steerper hills due to the additional axle in the back adding support and keeping it from flipping backwards
  • Can go over 9 cm tall vertical step (42110's box in this case :grin:)
  • Has more suspension travel, especially in the negative direction (drop)
  • Tandem suspension allows for more efficient driving over terrain
  • Can easily spin all 6 clean wheels on the ground in low gear in slow mode without any gears clicking (was an issue with clean wheels with the 4x4)
  • Reduced effect of the driveline on the suspension due to the increased gear ratio
  • Has 2 working fake V8 engines
  • Working steering wheel
  • Improved steering angle (from 18 to 27,5 degrees)
  • Steering pivot is a stud closer to the wheel
  • Reduced number of motors from 8 to 6
  • 3 seats instead of 2 :grin:

But there are also a few drawbacks comapred to the 4x4 version:

• The weak point now is no longer the bewel gears, but the old styled differentials used as 24 tooth clutch gears. I managed to make them slip in ludicrous mode crawling over bedsheets, which is an extreme scenario.
  • Reduced top speed by a factor of 3/5, from 13km/h to around 8km/h
  • Reduced total efficiency due to the additional gears and axle
  • Lack of rear wheel steering
  • Increased weight from 1,6 kg to 2,2 kg due to the extra axle and fake engines
  • Bricks built portal hubs are slightly weaker than the normal portal hubs, so the gears may slip occasionally when reversing the model into the wall.

So all in all, there are improvements and a few drawbacks compared to the 4x4 version.

But in general the model is more capable offroad than the previous 4x4 version and that's what matters to me the most.

I will make a video of it in the following week or two (after 42110 mod).

Meanwhile enjoy this gif of the model climbing over some random Technic boxes in Fast mode. (Notice the large suspension travel of the rear suspension).

Tiger%206x6%20Box%20climb%201.gif

On 10/4/2019 at 12:02 AM, shadow_elenter said:

I'm usually not one for custom stickers, but DAMN that thing POPS!
Somehow it reminds me of mad max...

Thank your for the praise. The color combiantion seems to be quite controversial, some love it, some hate it.

I went to test the model outside today and managed to make it powerslide/drift on glass and asphalt:

Tiger%206x6%20Drift%201.gif

I found a nice abandoned place in the industrial zone today, where I recorded the finished model:

I also took a few pictures, hope you will enjoy them:

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

To wrap up, I'm very happy with the performance of this 6x6 version, it is one of my best offroaders to date.

Even though the top speed is lower (8 km/h compared to 13 km/h of the 4x4) it more than makes up with the increased torque, much more reliable drivetrain and better offroad performance.

The chassis proved very tough, with no noticable bending or loose beams observed, thanks to the use of some 18x 5x7 frames.

There were no mechanical failures during the videoshoot, which is IMO a very good indicator of the improved reliability.

If anyone is interested in the LDD file, I can finish the digital build and share it here.

Very impressive performance, and intresting suspension setup. Can you post some more pictures of how the rear suspension works?

The color combination is a bit...experimental? But it fits the overall sceme of the Vehicle.

I like the the Land Rover rims, but I would have preferred them on all wheels.

The only thing I dislike is the front, it looks like a weird smily face.

Overall a very mean offroad machine.

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Very impressive performance, and intresting suspension setup. Can you post some more pictures of how the rear suspension works?

The color combination is a bit...experimental? But it fits the overall sceme of the Vehicle.

I like the the Land Rover rims, but I would have preferred them on all wheels.

The only thing I dislike is the front, it looks like a weird smily face.

Overall a very mean offroad machine.

I removed the wheels and rear fairings, so you can see how the rear suspension works:

800x600.jpg

Land rover rims can only be placed on brick-built hubs, which are weaker than normal planetary hubs. That is why they are used only in front.

Wow, very clever, I thought it would work something like that after seing it move in the Video.

I thought you were going for for a Truck-Like rim sepup, so the front wheels have less depth than the rear ones. This definatelly works as well.

I don't understand, on the rear axles there is a link with a shock absorber between the axle 2 and the axle 3, but there is not a pin to attach the middle of the link on the body ? Where is the little axle on which the link swing ?

Edited by LegoTT
Typo

2 minutes ago, LegoTT said:

I don't understand, on the rear axles there is a link with a shock absorber between the axle 2 and the axle 3, but there is not a pin to attach the middle of the link on the body ? Where is the little axle on which the link swing ?

Both 6L A arms can swing up and down. Try building a mock-up and you will see how it works.

I spend the afternoon finishing up the LDD file which you can download here:

https://bricksafe.com/files/Zblj/tiger-6x6/tiger 6x6.lxf

1280x677.jpg

Notice, there are few parts missing:

• 2x Front wheel from Land rover defender
  • 1x Blue 20 tooth clucth gear to drive the steering wheel

The LDD model is grouped in various submodules to ease building. Having said this is a very complex and interconnected build, so it's not for the fainthearted.

Hi, my build have no steering angle 25-30 degrees ?! I build exactly instructions from your LDD File... any ideas what can be wrong ?

Thx :)

Edited by Ghosty627

56 minutes ago, Ghosty627 said:

Hi, my build have no steering angle 25-30 degrees ?! I build exactly instructions from your LDD File... any ideas what can be wrong ?

Thx :)

What angle do you get? By the way I updated the LDD file few days ago, while rebuilding the model. 

1 minute ago, Ghosty627 said:

Hy, I get an angle of 17 / 18 degree. I have the LDD-File from 10.11.

Here's the maximum steering angle:

800x1067.jpg

It seems lower, yes. Can you post a photo of steering mechanism and hubs?

Edited by Zerobricks