Sariel

[VIDEO REVIEW] 42110 - Land Rover Defender

I said 1 gear. Not 1st gear. ;)

The engine rotates faster in lower gears of course.

5 minutes ago, Meatman said:

I mean this is the way that it has been with every other MOC or Lego set that I've ever built.

Yep. And because it is the only way that makes sense.

12 minutes ago, Anio said:

I said 1 gear. Not 1st gear. ;)

The engine rotates faster in lower gears of course.

Ok, so to sum it up - you have a gearbox full of friction with a proper sequence, I have a smoothly working gearbox with a reversed sequence :) I'll make a video about my setup tomorrow morning and we'll continue from there.

As I said, I didn't do all the maths yet.
I will within the next 2 or 3 days.

I just built the model as shown in the instruction. And checked, double checked, triple checked and more everything. So I have no building mistake.

Just imagine that I was so baffled with the thing not working that I even checked twice if I used a differential in the wrong way.
After 25 years of Technic, I am glad to say that I didn't do that rookie mistake. Phew !

Just a try at explaining this issue.

I notice on @Sariel review that the gearbox structure is mainly build based on connector and axles in stead of lift arms. I previously build such gearbox structure and I saw lots of friction. The gap between two connectors mounted on axle is sensible shorter than the gap between two studs on a lift arm. @Anio maybe check the mount of the gearbox support and maybe relax a little the stress on the parts where axles go through.

Hey Pawel! Thanks for the review! Yesterday saw it with my family :)
As always high detailed, no questions occurred after! Great job and model :)

15 hours ago, Meatman said:

I guess that I am in the minority here because I like to see a gearbox in vehicle and actually see all of those gears turning and know exactly what is happening and why. I find it fascinating seeing different ways that people come up with to change gears. I understand that Lego's design is more complex than a real vehicle, but what other building toys out there replica functions like this?

I feel that Lego's gearboxes are a great learning tool, especially for young builders. My kids love building those parts in the Lego cars.

Yeah, for years people were complaining that none of the mid range cars like 8070, 42000, 42039, 42077 or 42096  had engine linked gearboxes. We have now had 3 of them, all sequential, and apparently none works 100% perfectly as people are still complaining.

Perhaps the learning process involves debugging and perfecting the Lego gearboxes?

14 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

God i hope not... its lego, not Airfix. Its meant for building, enjoying then taking apart for the next moc, or to modify it... 99.9%? No chance.

the build looks interesting, proper technic. Does it matter that you can't see the engine? not to me. The pleasure is in the build itself and knowing how the gearboxes work. But, i don't think of them as ornaments, so maybe my perspective is different.

Sorry for my exaggeration, it was an answer for the other guy. I think your statement is correct for most of Eurobricks contibutors, but I still think there is a very big number of people who are just collectors, if you look at any facebook groups they are full of pure collectors.

13 hours ago, kbalage said:

Actually the speed difference is very visible, I think this is why there is a significant gear reduction in the system. If it weren't geared down then the fake engine would run at a more "realistic" speed but the difference between the gears would be barely noticeable, as it would be fast, faster, very fast...

Thanks, my supposition was different, thank you for clarifing this.

1 hour ago, valenciaeric said:

Yeah, for years people were complaining that none of the mid range cars like 8070, 42000, 42039, 42077 or 42096  had engine linked gearboxes. We have now had 3 of them, all sequential, and apparently none works 100% perfectly as people are still complaining.

Perhaps the learning process involves debugging and perfecting the Lego gearboxes?

People have different thoughts.

Complaining is when somebody is not happy with one thing, and then he is not happy again because the thing is not like he wanted.

But my statement is very different, I'm in the part of the users who think a gear box in a car (every car since the beginning of Lego Technic ero) is not useful to the function of the model itself. I'm in the minority, I know, but that's just my simple point of view.

6 hours ago, steph77 said:

Just a try at explaining this issue.

I notice on @Sariel review that the gearbox structure is mainly build based on connector and axles in stead of lift arms. I previously build such gearbox structure and I saw lots of friction. The gap between two connectors mounted on axle is sensible shorter than the gap between two studs on a lift arm. @Anio maybe check the mount of the gearbox support and maybe relax a little the stress on the parts where axles go through.

This is 100% correct. I have been telling people for years(I am certain I mentioned it here several times) that it is better to try and build their Gearboxes using liftarms rather than connectors or ever a mixture of both because the connectors on the axles simply are not true and will cause some friction. If you place 7 perpendicular connectors on a 7L axle and line it up with a 7L liftarm, you will see that the holes do not line up and it doesn't take much difference to cause serious binding. Not only that but placing gears or bushing too tightly against what is supporting them can also cause grief. This is most likely the cause why some builders are experiencing friction issues and some are not.. And of course the fake engine(depending on how large that it is) that you use will also cause friction... This is why you can have 2 people build the same exact model using the same instructions and get different results...

If built correctly, you should be able to roll a model containing a simple 4 speed Gearbox across a table in 1st gear(which should have the most resistance) without any cracking or grinding. If you hear cracking or grinding, then there is an issue somewhere that should be resolved, and most likely it is something basic that was overlooked.. The main key to having a smooth running Gearbox is keeping everything uniform and true.

640x427.jpg

Edited by Paul Boratko