Sariel

[VIDEO REVIEW] 42110 - Land Rover Defender

Yes, a long video, but 12 minutes of it is speed build and I'm including chapters below:

00:49 - box and unboxing
03:18 - new pieces
04:32 - pieces in new colors
06:11 - parts list
06:30 - speed build
18:32 - functions
21:51 - impressions
28:38 - final note

Thanks! Excellent review.

And as a side note for me; The speed build is kind of fast. Would have loved to see it at more convienient speed.

Great review, now i want that set even more. And i understand correctly? Its inline 6 has one PP (Pugpower)? Does it have good torque, and how it compared to PF motors? :sweet:

Edited by Arioh

Very nice review @Sariel! The suspension is really spot on, also I am happy to see finally a PUG&Play LEGO model. :grin:

Could You try and share some pictures with Unimog tires, please? Do they fit/work?

They have more off-road pattern, but I suspect they will hit the chassis here and there. Might be some slight modification could help.

Great review as always c:

Btw, do you saturate the colour in your videos? Everywhere else I've seen this set, the green has been a bit brownish, but in your video it's a very rich deep olive green.

It looks like deep olive green under strong white light which I'm using. I guess the brownish hue appears when using yellow or slightly yellow light.

Great review! Nice and balanced; it's good to see that the downsides of this set are explored as well.

I'd still say that 42099 would be my preferred off-roader of the two, but this is one handsome set. :thumbup:

10 hours ago, JunkstyleGio said:

And as a side note for me; The speed build is kind of fast. Would have loved to see it at more convienient speed.

And so i did!. Playing the buildingsequence at quarter-speed does the trick. :sweet:

IMO the best building dequence playback is actually building the set. Can't wait for my playback.

But few things slighty bug me with this set, the steering rack looks way overcomplicated (you could use a 13 one and a couple of perpendicular connectors).And they could have use H frames to for lower suspension support instead of 9L black beams.

@Zerobricks Surely I will build this set, but having to wait a few weeks till I get my hands on this "Landy" it keeps me occupied.

So, while watching I discoverd a new part (at least I thought i did)..

driving_ring.png

Yet that one was already introduced in the 42083 Chiron..

Hmm. Everyone seems thrilled about this set. Super high ratings also in this review. I'm not sure yet. Visually the color is growing on me, and I really like the dark-tan interior, but I personally find all the boxes and extras just add a lot of fluff that I had rather not seen. Also I can't get over those super ugly fender panels. I somehow still have the feeling that for 2500 parts it's not very function-rich. Even given the neat gearbox. Also, it doesn't do very new things. But maybe I shouldn't expect this, after so many years of Technic. Also, the winch ontrols hdiden under the hood is weird, and for me the tiny engine looks a bit dumb. I'd rather see a 42043 solution with the standard engine parts that may be too large, but do work like actual engines.

(Oh well. In a few years, we don't have combustion engines anymore anyway.)

It's good to see decent suspension, for once.

It has a few interesting parts, but in very low quantities (7x11 frame, blue gear, orange selector, yellow extender). The only interesting thing for me inventory-wise is the olive green parts. It remains to be seen how expensive those will be to bricklink or obtain otherwise...

Edit: in any case, thanks for making this extensive review.

Edited by Erik Leppen

I suspect all the boxes and extras might have been required by the license. I agree that the set doesn't do anything new, but 4x4 vehicles with full suspension are still rare among LEGO sets and this one looks really awesome and detailed. Remember when large Technic vehicles were full of gaps and holes? It wasn't so long ago.

3 hours ago, JunkstyleGio said:

@Zerobricks Surely I will build this set, but having to wait a few weeks till I get my hands on this "Landy" it keeps me occupied.

So, while watching I discoverd a new part (at least I thought i did)..

driving_ring.png

Yet that one was already introduced in the 42083 Chiron..

We need 28, 24 and 20 tooth gears with integrated clutch teeth (in addition to the existing 16 tooth gears). Then one could make a small realistic and compact 4 speed gearbox with equal steps between gears with little friction.

IMO:
- it looks great, I agree better than the real one
- I agree totally about the mudguard! thank you Sariel for pointing that out. (I feel sort of the same about the shovels on loader, excavators etc.)
- one thing that was not mentioned (I did not notice anybody to mention that) (and to me it is total head scratch-er) why on earth there is a knob for the winch in the engine bay under the bonnet? (I know - it is close - but it is totally illogical place)
Playing scenario (I know it is playing, not real life situation): your car (toy) gets stuck and you need to winch it out, you gotta open the bonnet....? as a kid, that would spoil my play)
- I agree the gearbox in motor-less car is pointless. 
- I am not excited about yet another colour (which will probably never appear again)
- interior is superb
- looks overpowered functions (which is not exactly the praise at Technic)
- I do not like the system "decorations" like boxes (or filters on 42100) - I am not fan of the trend
- I sort of agree on tires with LEGO since probably very few defenders will ever leave the tarmac and will be mostly used in city centres or for taking kids to school 
- again it is "display queen" (which is not exactly the praise in my books)
- it looks great (I already mentioned, but it looks so great, it can be mentioned twice)
- it seems like everything is well thought through and everything works IMO

Edited by J_C

I don't see any mention of the gears being out or sequence(or reversed) as stated in the other review. Was this something that you encountered?

Edited by Meatman

I like this model, thank you for the review.

My impressions, like others already said, is:

why do we need this very very high complicated gearbox in a model we push by hands? What is the purpose of all those gears and selectors? Ok it is a technic model, but I really do not understand the purpose of all this . It also seems quite unpractical to select different gears... just to see the motor running at different speeds? :head_back:

And about the price... many of you say that 180 Euro is a good price. Compared to Porsche and Bugatti indeed it is, but... I think this was the price of the Arocs some years ago (including PF and pneumatics)... I think we are getting so used to this neverending price rise that we don't even notice it anymore.  *oh2*

7 minutes ago, mpj said:

I like this model, thank you for the review.

My impressions, like others already said, is:

why do we need this very very high complicated gearbox in a model we push by hands? What is the purpose of all those gears and selectors? Ok it is a technic model, but I really do not understand the purpose of all this . It also seems quite unpractical to select different gears... just to see the motor running at different speeds? :head_back:

And about the price... many of you say that 180 Euro is a good price. Compared to Porsche and Bugatti indeed it is, but... I think this was the price of the Arocs some years ago (including PF and pneumatics)... I think we are getting so used to this neverending price rise that we don't even notice it anymore.  *oh2*

Give this man a like :thumbup:

I am confused... why the complaint appear now for manual models and gearboxes? Was this an issue at the Porsche or at the Chiron? (I help - the answer is no.)

It looks like if something goes in the right direction, people get start to neat picking on other details, which is usually normal... but come on, really is it the existence of the gearbox now? *huh*

I say, let's be happy about the fact, that this set is the best realized official Technic car to date. 

Edited by agrof

3 minutes ago, nicjasno said:

Give this man a like :thumbup:

I guess that I am in the minority here because I like to see a gearbox in vehicle and actually see all of those gears turning and know exactly what is happening and why. I find it fascinating seeing different ways that people come up with to change gears. I understand that Lego's design is more complex than a real vehicle, but what other building toys out there replica functions like this?

I feel that Lego's gearboxes are a great learning tool, especially for young builders. My kids love building those parts in the Lego cars.

Edited by Meatman

Hi !

15 minutes ago, Meatman said:

I don't see any mention of the gears being out or sequence(or reversed) as stated in the other review. Was this something that you encountered?

I didn't do the math exactly with gears but it seems ok. 1, 2, 3, 4 are in the right order. Low / High speed just modulates 1, 2, 3, 4, and so it keeps the right order.
As for reverse, ratio must be ok.

The various levers/controllers are nicely put together. It is a nice set up.

But still, I have shitloads of friction on my model. The engin would never work. I just have big cracks, like 42056's crap.

Though, main components (engine, main gear box, high/low gear box) work totally fine if I disconnect them (especially at the U-joint, where it is easy to disconnect things without having to torn the model apart). Which makes me thing that the problem comes from all the friction be added / put together.

@Sariel @kbalage Any idea ?

I wouldn't want to publish a review saying that the model doesn't work properly for undue reasons.

I find gearboxes awesome, but lego gearboxes are not a good learning tool, because they are way too complex and not realistic. It's gotten out of hand and legos refusal to make more gears with dog teeth sockets is puzzling me. It'd make gearboxes of all kinds in cranes, trucks, cars.. so much smaller, easier to understand and more realistic.

Just now, nicjasno said:

I find gearboxes awesome, but lego gearboxes are not a good learning tool, because they are way too complex and not realistic. It's gotten out of hand and legos refusal to make more gears with dog teeth sockets is puzzling me. It'd make gearboxes of all kinds in cranes, trucks, cars.. so much smaller, easier to understand and more realistic.

Coudn't be more wrong.
The gearbox of 42110 is precisely not that complexe because it can easily be decomposed to offer a very nice understanding of the whole set up.

I mean, it is complex because it has a lot of gears, but it is simple to decrypt.

In this way, it is a very interesting model... if it works correctly. :-/

@nicjasno With LEGO you need to have some abstraction, both visually, both technically. This is what we enjoy so much, this is what makes it less serious. Also it is not intended to replicate 1:1 the big ones, but helps to understand structures, mechanisms. This can be translated as learning too. :wink:

Edited by agrof

25 minutes ago, mpj said:

Uh... that's exactly what 853, 8860, 8865, 8880, 42056 (although they forgot to make the engine visible here) and 42083 do. That's exactly what ANY gearbox on a manual model is gonna do. Or did you expect extra gearbox functions like a gaggle of Carabinieri waddling after the car when you hit fifth gear?

25 minutes ago, mpj said:

Maybe you should've visited Brickset. 42043 came out four years ago at a list price of €200; considering inflation, the more-or-less 10% price difference and the respective part lists, I'd say 42110 is priced fairly.