Sign in to follow this  
MinusAndy

Advice needed, MOC car

Hi all, i could use a bit of advice. I'm working my way through my first 1/7 scale MOC car. It has a swage? line running round the whole car. The bodywork is all white and the line is a prominent either black or red one, depending on the version. I've tried building it in with a line of thin plates between panels and liftarms but it presents problems where the wheel arches come in and also the general structural stability of the model. The other main problem is that it runs at a slight angle right around the car to add stance to it, as I'm fairly new to studless technic I was wondering about the following solutions:

One solution is to use a pinstripe decal instead, but obviously this feels like a cop out. 

Another is to build the whole car raked at an angle and then pull it out again at the cills using gradual slopes. This will be a pain regarding thingslike the angles of the roof and front grille though.

Finally do I just accept the limitations of it and build it flat and level and maybe jack up the rear suspension a touch to add some visual angle?

Basically I've been scratching my head over it for months and I'm leaning towards the pinstripe option. Is this kosher

Thanks for any help and advice anyone can give me.

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/ford/rs-200/1986/316031

1:7 scale? From what I know the biggest you can do ist ~1:8 scale? 

Put some Pictures of the Car you want to build and of your WIP up here m8 :classic:

I scaled back from wheel size and worked out the ratio from the original to the Lego size. The rs200 is from the 80’s and had small wheels so the rest of the car is a little bigger. It came in at 1:7.

On the original car there seems to be very little angle on the stripe. I would go with the solution of adding a little rake to the car like you suggested as your last solution.

The angle of the stripe is very small, but it also adds a lot to the look so I'd try to avoid having it look flat. The front wheel arch looks to be taller than the rear one which also affects how the angle of the stripe looks. Notice how the gap between the wheel and the arch is larger on the front than the rear. I agree with @Jeroen Ottens . Build the stripe flat but increase the rear suspension height by perhaps about half a stud. Then you can either raise the front arch or lower the rear arch by a whole stud. 

Edited by allanp

Cheers folks. Allanp, thats exactly what I think about the line, if you were to draw a caricature of this car you'd feature that line for sure. (and the startling ugliness of the whole car)

Im going to upload some terrible pics with it flat and with a slight rake added to the suspension.  I think im going to keep the stripe built in but where it runs through the wheelarch i might use a decal as i cant figure out how to keep it continuous.

Bear in mind this is my first go at this and also very much a WIP, once I work out how to build it all I'll tear it down and build it properly! If I can still stand the sight of it!

thumbnail_IMG_3776.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3777.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3777.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3778.jpg

Edited by MinusAndy

Have you thought about using 1L Liftarms  stacked on flex axles for the Wheel arches? This option would allow for a continuous stripe, just put a black 1L liftarm at the correct height :wink:

I have, but I'd need a thin black one for that and those only have axle slots rather than holes. Ive tried using a thin one as the first one on the arch, thereby using the thin part of the soft axle for the thin black liftarm but it just didn't seem to hang together that well. I'm currently waiting on a 50 2 hole white liftarms delivery so I can do the rest of the arches like that regardless.

Edited by MinusAndy

yeah, thats why I'm tempted to use a bit of black decal on those bits. (or drill out a couple of thin black arms :))

Fab. Thanks for that. Is that using the thin flex pipe things? It’s given me an idea to use the 2 hole liftarms that have the axle slots in one hole. Then I don’t need the pins in the holes? If that makes sense.

Edited by MinusAndy