thekitchenscientist

[C-model] Yoda's Mech (alternate build 75168)

I got Yoda's Jedi Starfighter a while ago as a gift from a friend. I normally make c-models of Technic sets, so initially I wasn't sure what to do with this after building the main model (other than a Tulip!). This set has a range of Technic pieces so it was familiar but also a nice change.

There no ball joints that are usually associated with Lego mechs but I thought I could still manage a range of motions. I built the frame first using the Technic pieces before adding the decoration. In the end I managed to create knee, hip and shoulder joints and the model is reasonably stable and pose-able.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

The Mech is equipped with missile launchers, force blasters and can transform into a flying mode, allowing Yoda to soar over rough terrain. It can crouch down for easy access to the cockpit.

I quickly settled on the design for the feet and arms which shaped the way the build turned out. The knee and hip joints were revised a couple of times before settling on the current version. The wings are actually an important part of the model to ensure it remains balanced.

More details and instructions: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-29490/thekitchenscientist/yodas-mech/