ks6349

Why people want perfect box? for investment? or OCD?

If I am not careful about the box, usually how many % of price will I get less when I sell the Lego (usually opened and used, not new, because I am buying Lego for fun, and not for investment) in the future compared to the same set with a perfect or very good box?

Edited by ks6349

Investment/Resale.  I sold a MISB set last year, packed it really well, but someone must have put pressure dead center on the box and dinged it. The guy I sold it to told me this was a big problem, and my first thought was "why?", my second thought was geez, if Amazon had to give me a discount on every dinged box they send me I'd be getting a discount on probably 60% of the sets they send me, and my third thought was there is no amount of packing, besides a create, that is going to stop pressure on the top center of a box from dinging the lego box within.

Anyway, I asked why it was an issue, and the guy said he was planning on reselling.

Collectors also want good boxes that can be displayed.

What you you prefer to display - a perfect box that looks like it has just come out of the factory or one with a large tear or hole in the middle of the artwork or bashed up corners?

Plus if someone has looked after the box and the instructions, chances are they have looked after the LEGO as well.

Got some real bargains on perfect sets the only thing wrong was a bashed up box, I don't mind I send all mine to the recycling plant

My dream is getting a bunch of sets for cheap with smashed boxes, but I feel like no one discounts them for fear of encouraging people to purposely smash boxes in order to ask for discounts.

I've sometimes purposely bought new Lego product on eBay and Bricklink with damaged boxes, because they were $5 cheaper than the same product in undamaged boxes.  

I can understand why a collector might want a mint or near-mint condition box, but I buy Legos to build.  I don't care much about the condition of the outside box, as long as the pieces, stickers, and instructions inside are pristine.  

I keep them in good condition if I can because I sometimes resell old sets and the price is higher to some collectors if you can also include the box.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:35 AM, LucyCol said:

Got some real bargains on perfect sets the only thing wrong was a bashed up box, I don't mind I send all mine to the recycling plant

I'm a dirty reseller, and I *hate* having to deal with perfect boxes.  I find it's easier to resell with no box.  Things ship cheaper, and I know the person getting it won't complain about the slightest ding on the box.  I don't mind losing a few dollars for not having a box (or a perfect box), because it's just easier.  I'd rather sell to someone like @LucyCol because I know they will appreciate the "deal" I offer for cheaper shipping and a cheaper overall price.

On 9/17/2019 at 4:35 PM, LucyCol said:

I don't mind I send all mine to the recycling plant

Yes, I do that as well. Particularly as the box has become just a way too large nicely colored cardboard box with plastic bags in it.

After all, recycling is the way to go.

Best,
Thorsten   

I cut my boxes on my opened/built sets and keep the front/back for now to save space.

Edited by TeriXeri

You might as well just open both ends and flatten. It takes up essentially the same space and you can still reuse the box later.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

You might as well just open both ends and flatten. It takes up essentially the same space and you can still reuse the box later.

For small boxes with the thinner cardboard I agree that works, but some of the larger boxes with the thicker cardboard really do take more space, both vertically and area because they tend to work upwards.

A theme like Nexo Knights generally used many larger/thicker boxes.

I don't intend to sell my sets.

Edited by TeriXeri