Phil B

[WIP] Hogwarts Express Custom Carriage

To get familiar with Stud.io 2.0 (I have always used MLCAD for my designs in the past), I decided to build a custom carriage for my Hogwarts Express. I intend to build at least 3 of these, with different window/door configurations (possibly including a brake van end). I took my inspiration from this Hornby model:

48744398356_6ffcfd697c_b.jpg

So far, my work is a Work In Progress. Couple of notes:

1. I wanted the coach to be shorter in length to better negotiate LEGO R40 curves. The current iteration is 32 studs wide (across the body), but needs to be extended by 4 studs as the bogies are currently hitting the undercarriage details.

2. The idea was to allow close coupling. As such, I made the cushion between the train carriages out of part 45590 Technic Axle Connector Double Flexible (Rubber). I will need to do some IRL experiments to see if this actually works, and if it does, I might extend the body by another 2 or 4 studs to set the couplings further back.

3. The bottom bars on the bogies might be too low. I am considering moving them up by one plate.

4. I wanted a realistic interior, but didn't want to go 8 wide. So for now the model sits at 7 wide, with a "creative" solution to create compartment walls.

5. The benches in the compartments are too narrow for the "normal" seating of minifigs, but I think I have devised a way to seat at least 2 minifigs per compartment - hopefully a future iteration of this WIP will showcase this method.

6. There is room for more greebling under the carriage - still WIP.

7. I am also still working on a door design to fit in the opening between carriages.

8. Yes, this model uses the old train windows. I have recently gotten my hand on about 40 of them, so that won't be a problem for my build.

With that said, I am looking for your feedback so I can further improve this model. Here is my progress so far:

48744398391_edecd8e3ac_b.jpg48744398411_3fd0c27b73_b.jpg

Edited by Phil B

This looks really good! I too would like to do something like this. But for me it's one of those distant future projects. I'm excited to see what happens with this.

I wonder about your compartments though, I recognize that are not minifig scale but to me they still seem small...

6 minutes ago, ALCO said:

This looks really good! I too would like to do something like this. But for me it's one of those distant future projects. I'm excited to see what happens with this.

I wonder about your compartments though, I recognize that are not minifig scale but to me they still seem small...

Agree on those compartments being too small. The original intent was to make them look good from the outside (looking in through the windows), not necessarily to make them minifig compatible. But I might remove the headrests, replace the bricks behind it with a black 1x4 to simulate headrests, and then have studs on the lips so minifigs can be seated. Before I do so, I have one more idea I will try out :) More on that shortly.

Oh that looks beautiful. I'd love to be able to make a version of that if you feel willing to share your work?

Made a couple of changes. First of all, here is the idea I had regarding seating minifigs:

48746057548_6e5f7c56d8_b.jpg

I achieved this by using the old minifig legs and a couple of jumper plates. Stud.io was complaining that there was a collision when placing the torso, but I'm quite confident that IRL this will work. Here is an interior shot showing these sitting figs:

48746057573_d997ec9baa_b.jpg

Also, I have been playing around with the bogies, and came up with this design. It uses the standard wheel holders, and is nicely 7-wide (the previous bogie design was 8-wide). 

48746455021_abb8e1e18e_b.jpg

Thoughts on the seating and on the bogie?

1 hour ago, kiwinewt said:

Oh that looks beautiful. I'd love to be able to make a version of that if you feel willing to share your work?

As this is still a WIP, and needs to be validated in a Real Life build, I have not decided yet if and how I would be sharing the plans for this carriage.

I really like the look of these ... And. Would love a video of them one operational.

My concern is the rubber is not vey flexible (more so than a brick but still pretty stiff)

Wow!  That car looks awesome.  If you ever sell the instructions, let me know. I have been wanting to add to my Hogwarts Express as well.  Keep up the excellent work.

Brian

it looks really great already!

As inexperienced train builder, I cannot give a lot of feedback about that stuff.

But I do wonder if there is no better solution for the doors as they won't go open, so the hinges are useless.

It's looking pretty good! The bogies look very neat, and the compartments are an inventive design. And it's all perfect in 7-wide, too!
I'm afraid the end corridors might not work as you hope they will though; the material isn't flexible enough for the sharp corners, especially where you've lined up 4 next to eachother along the top, and they will probably foul and bind up completely on S-bends. Although I'm willing to be proven wrong!

There's plenty of internal variation possible in a rake of apparently identical-looking MK1s. A guard's coach is a good idea; convert one of the inner compartments to a guards compartment (containing handbrake wheel, shelves, stool, flags etc), and the adjacent end compartment to an open luggage area with doubled-up side doors, and you've got a proper train. Other coaches could be built as opens, without compartments but seats and tables along the sides; or a buffet coach, again open with tables, and a serving bar at one end with store cupboard. And if there's catering, there should be a loo on board somewhere too! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I really like this interpretation - I am also still at a WIP stage with a Mk1 design. I set myself slightly different restrictions and therefore came up with a different look:

Lego BR class 20

1 hour ago, NotToScale said:

I really like this interpretation - I am also still at a WIP stage with a Mk1 design. I set myself slightly different restrictions and therefore came up with a different look:

Lego BR class 20

Awesome, I thought about doing a curved lower section as well but couldn't integrate it easily, which is why I stuck with my rendition. Here is the current WIP state of mine. Improvements made:

- Elongated the body by 2 studs, total length over the cushions now 36 studs. This allows the bogies to rotate freely.

- Changed some of the bogie details to DBG to have some visual contrast

- Added another undermount "greeble" (used a Caterham printed tile to get some texture, might become a sticker later).

- Added compartment class numbers (although I might drop these and go to number decals on the doors)

- Went for a brick-built corridor cushion section

Still to be worked on:

- I still need to fix the doors - as someone correctly pointed out, in their current state they cannot be opened.

- There need to be doors in the corridor opening to other carriages. Was thinking bi-fold, but might have issues with that. WIP.

48751487406_18b4ef5b4a_b.jpg

Hogwarts Express Carriage 7-wide_10 by Phil B, on Flickr

Edited by Phil B

Thanks Phil; I like the curve on the sides to the point I constructed the whole coach around it. 

In terms of the Doors, my first attempt (Hogwarts Express) is more prototypical but the second (BR Blue / White) avoids the visible hinges:

WiP BR Mk1 in Lego - Hogwarts Express vs Blue / White

in terms of end door, I am definitely more happy with the second version and will be moving that way. 

The thickness is part of the deal with the curved sides; it’s a lot easier to deal with in the main body than the doors!

Apologies for the poor photo - I didn't have one with the doors open so pulled them out of storage to show you the options I’ve liked so far. 

Please keep updating - it’s great to see another way forward and I love that you managed to get the compartments in. 

Alright, after tonight's modifications:

- Doors in the corridor. They even open. I added a closeup of the build. This shows a red version, but I am also considering doing these doors in Reddish Brown or Black (from what I've seen, Black would be prototypical, but rather boring. There are also no windows the door in the prototype version).

- Modifications to the carriage doors. I believe they will now open. This would need a bit of stickering to continue the line across the vertical section. I have looked at Stud.io's Part Designer, but haven't used it yet, so you need your imagination. I think that IRL the dark shadows around the vertical SNOT section will not be as prominent as in my render, and hence not as noticeable.

I'm pretty close to calling this done. As the change between door styles is fairly easy, I will probably build both versions to see which looks best (and to validate that my modification allows the door to open).

Tomorrow's exercise: Building 2 different coach styles - a guard's van and a 1st class car :)

48752472021_0af84462c6_b.jpg

48752659867_596ffc9efc_b.jpg

48752660652_a9d7a91c87_b.jpg

Hogwarts Express Carriage 7-wide_opening_doors_20190917_3 by Phil B, on Flickr

Couldn't wait until the evening. Apart from deciding which sidewall version to use (without opening doors but looking the best, or with opening doors but looks to be validated IRL and after some stickers), this is THE final digital version of this coach.

Major change is regarding the compartments: they are now 4.5 studs wide (previously 4 studs). I have also changed the bottom of the compartment doors to make it look more like a closed wall.

Tonight: Brake van and a different coach.

Enjoy and please share your comments!

48754960882_b6796a4db4_b.jpg

Hogwarts Express Final - option 1 - Opening Doors by Phil B, on Flickr

48754765466_de8ab61b61_b.jpg

Hogwarts Express Final - option 2 - Fixed Doors by Phil B, on Flickr

48754445498_2d4395f538_b.jpg

Hogwarts Express Final - Interior by Phil B, on Flickr

**EDIT Sep/19/2019** Fixed the last image which now correctly shows the updated interior.

Edited by Phil B

Really great work here, this definitely looks more like the prototype! 

Also like the that you labeled the 1st class coach. Any chance of seeing this built in the future? Are you going to redo the engine as well? 

2 minutes ago, ScotNick said:

Really great work here, this definitely looks more like the prototype! 

Also like the that you labeled the 1st class coach. Any chance of seeing this built in the future? Are you going to redo the engine as well? 

Yes, engine will be done too. There have been many attempts (by others) documented here, so I should be good doing this "in the brick" first. Will share the full consist once built. 

Plan is to go 3-axle on the tender (2 for the PF train bogey, plus an extra). Will likely increase the width of the engine, and extend the boiler.

I have 3 75955's standing ready (still sealed in box) to use as parts. Also building a larger station. 

This Christmas will be HP themed - will get a snowy Hogwarts castle (using the official Clock Tower and Great Hall sets) and then this train running round the tree. At least, that's the plan.

She's looking pretty fine!
My only critic now (and it's a proper nit-pick, sorry) is that it looks like you've added lights to the ends, next to the corridors. BR MK1s (or any other British unpowered coaching stock for that matter) don't have lights built into their ends; instead, a single red-lensed white-bodied oil lamp would be hooked on the end of the last coach by the guard. Easy enough to represent in LEGO with a white headlight brick or similar, with round trans-red plate. As for the (very nice!) double doors between coaches, I think any neutral colour works - brown, tan, grey etc.
Can we have a picture of your updated interiors please? I'm looking forward to seeing what variations you can come up with next!

5 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

She's looking pretty fine!
My only critic now (and it's a proper nit-pick, sorry) is that it looks like you've added lights to the ends, next to the corridors. BR MK1s (or any other British unpowered coaching stock for that matter) don't have lights built into their ends; instead, a single red-lensed white-bodied oil lamp would be hooked on the end of the last coach by the guard. Easy enough to represent in LEGO with a white headlight brick or similar, with round trans-red plate. As for the (very nice!) double doors between coaches, I think any neutral colour works - brown, tan, grey etc.
Can we have a picture of your updated interiors please? I'm looking forward to seeing what variations you can come up with next!

Thanks! Is this better?

48757372572_6db9ba42a1_b.jpg

Hogwarts Express Carriage 7-wide_17 by Phil B, on Flickr

10 hours ago, Phil B said:

Thanks! Is this better?

Absolutely perfect! You don't even notice the length discrepancy from that angle.

I think it's the inclusion of the middle door that sets this model apart from other renditions I've seen. I'll have to try (digitally) building these myself soon! 

8 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Absolutely perfect! You don't even notice the length discrepancy from that angle.

I think it's the inclusion of the middle door that sets this model apart from other renditions I've seen. I'll have to try (digitally) building these myself soon! 

I agree but think it’s the proper train windows and the interior  (without going to 8 wide) which are the foundation that helps it up there. 

Thanks again for sharing - build photos next?

Alright, here is the carriage with the luggage compartment. As I do not have any reference material as to how this should look like inside, I combined some generic wizard luggage with part of an English brake van. Hopefully @ColletArrow has some more insights on how to model this properly :). The double doors will likely not open. The white panels will either be stickered to look like a window, or will become red panels with a white oval sticker on it to turn it into a window. The white is supposed to be a blind. Again, I have both a non-opening and an opening doors version of the carriage - the Real Life build will determine which option I will use.

Comment as always MOST appreciated!

48762353163_eb2ed26441_b.jpg

48762672081_f3882b9831_b.jpg

48762672061_e80f3e6337_b.jpg

And here is the full set of carriages:

48762672026_d82300ed9f_b.jpg

48762685591_02956c3114_b.jpg

Hogwarts Express Carriages Combined by Phil B, on Flickr

Edited by Phil B

14 hours ago, Phil B said:

Hopefully @ColletArrow has some more insights on how to model this properly :)

You know I do, I can't help myself! It great to have a hand in steering the design of your excellent models.

I'll start by linking a couple of Wikipedia articles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Railways_Mark_1 - the standard design of coach we're dealing with
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_coach_designations - because nothing is actually standard. These codes get incredibly confusing and aren't necessary for building models, but I thought I'd include them anyway!

Below is a diagram of a BR Mark 1 BSK (Brake Standard Corridor), i.e. a Guard's coach, that I've shamefully pinched from a google image search.

Suitable Donors for CIE MK1 BSGV - Questions & Answers ...

The guard has their own compartment; it houses a swivel stool, handbrake wheel, shelves, and periscope mirrors to see along the roof of the train (I never knew about that last one!). The compartment also has it's own inward-opening doors, one in the compartment and one directly opposite; these are the only doors on a train that can open if it's stopped in a tunnel, next to a wall etc.

Adjacent, and with a window in the wall between it and the guard's compartment, is the open area with double doors for luggage; you've modelled this area pretty much spot on. I don't think the barred windows are strictly accurate, but they look good so I'd keep them. I also don't think the window should have blinds, but if you like 'em, keep 'em. At least swap the windowed and non-windowed doors around; the windowed one is always on the left (looking directly at them from outside, both sides).

It's clearly not possible to fit all of the doors and windows onto your model; selective compression is the order of the day, and you've done a fine job with that so far. Your overall train so far (CK + BSK) already looks very pretty; perhaps an SO ("standard open", i.e. no compartments) next?