Very nice!  Great use of those newer roller coaster track pieces and curved Technic gear rack.  Would be great to see it in action.  Thanks for sharing!  :classic:

I took the liberty to fix an image, it also points to the video. Very nice Terry, and welcome to Eurobricks and the Train Tech subforum.

Oh WOW! :drool:

This is amazing. I have seen several rotary dumps before but this one is mind blowing. Not only the size, but also the perfect working and detailing. Unbelievable.

Great video on Flickr, love it. How do you control the position of the train and rotation? Just by PF or other electronics?

I was only able to get the link to work by clicking on the "R" in the first word of the original post, but after that small bit of work I must say WOW, that's an incredible build! You clearly put a lot of time into this and the payoff really shows. Then all sorts of little easter eggs (e.g., the Gremlin hiding on the underside of the rotary). Did I spy a loading facility in the background of the video?

That's very cool - easily the best rotary dumper I've seen. Very clean and "real" feeling to the design.

I was amazed, too, to see that your diesel locomotives fit through the rings. Wow! Very good work on the clearances with those.

On 9/15/2019 at 1:30 PM, 1963maniac said:

Is there a video for this?

I posted a video of it's operation on Youtube, Flickr,and my Facebook page.

On 9/16/2019 at 2:56 AM, JopieK said:

I took the liberty to fix an image, it also points to the video. Very nice Terry, and welcome to Eurobricks and the Train Tech subforum.

Thank! Much appreciated. I read the new members page ... but you still might need to clean up after me on occasion until I get the full swing of this place.

On 9/15/2019 at 2:00 PM, deraven said:

Very nice!  Great use of those newer roller coaster track pieces and curved Technic gear rack.  Would be great to see it in action.  Thanks for sharing!  :classic:

The roller coaster track was the key to making the whole thing work. Nothing else was large enough to allow an 8-9 wide train pass through while all the cars are coupled together. I posted a video of it's operation on Youtube, Flickr,and my Facebook page.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:48 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

That is awesome seriously ... +1 on the video request

I posted a video of it's operation on Youtube, Flickr,and my Facebook page.

16 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

I was only able to get the link to work by clicking on the "R" in the first word of the original post, but after that small bit of work I must say WOW, that's an incredible build! You clearly put a lot of time into this and the payoff really shows. Then all sorts of little easter eggs (e.g., the Gremlin hiding on the underside of the rotary). Did I spy a loading facility in the background of the video?

You spy correctly .... that is a loading facility .... which can fill at least 10 cars nonstop. I also just recently built a "Circular Stacker Reclaimer" to stockpile the coal.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:28 AM, baard said:

Great video on Flickr, love it. How do you control the position of the train and rotation? Just by PF or other electronics?

The Rotary Dump has 2 PF switches and 3 motors .... a servo and switch for the clamps, XL motor with "bang" switch for rotation, and one XL motor and for feeder conveyor. All the lighting is from Brick Loot. Positioning the cars can be done two different ways. Using the locomotives or you can disconnect the engines and use a cable driven "Car Indexer/Positioner" which is fully PF motorized.

13 hours ago, Terry Akuna said:

You spy correctly .... that is a loading facility .... which can fill at least 10 cars nonstop. I also just recently built a "Circular Stacker Reclaimer" to stockpile the coal.

Please post pictures of that too!

12 hours ago, Terry Akuna said:

Positioning the cars can be done two different ways. Using the locomotives or you can disconnect the engines and use a cable driven "Car Indexer/Positioner" which is fully PF motorized.

Wow!

Excuse me whilst I retrieve my lower jaw from beneath my desk...

The precision and efficiency you've engineered into this system is amazing, and then you've added buckets of realism to the models as well. This is exactly what I like to see - models that not only look like, but function as perfectly as, the real thing. The train-positioning system you posted in a separate topic should be shown here as well I feel, it's a simple yet effective method for placing the wagons perfectly.

Fantastic work all round!

9 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Excuse me whilst I retrieve my lower jaw from beneath my desk...

The precision and efficiency you've engineered into this system is amazing, and then you've added buckets of realism to the models as well. This is exactly what I like to see - models that not only look like, but function as perfectly as, the real thing. The train-positioning system you posted in a separate topic should be shown here as well I feel, it's a simple yet effective method for placing the wagons perfectly.

Fantastic work all round!

Here is photo during some testing. 48757868486_48757b85c8_h.jpgTrain Indexer by Terry Akuna, on Flickr

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

Well there goes the best train award at Brickworld 2020 (grin). Amazing work!

I was supposed to show it this year at Brickworld Chicago 2 019, but I wasn't able to make it, so I'll be showing it as a full coal train facility. As far as Best Train Award .... it's not a train. But, Thanks, anyway.

21 hours ago, Terry Akuna said:

As far as Best Train Award .... it's not a train. But, Thanks, anyway.

I wouldn't rule it out even if it is not strictly a train, the coal operation is train-centric and that might be considered "in bounds," but there is also a category of best train layout too.... I guess I should use past tense, since each year they tweak things and who knows how it will tweak this year.

(I have no connection or insight to the competitions at BW, but the coal facility is definitely a show stopper)