Garmadon

Dawn at the Cathedral

Previously - Mainhall Corridor, de Fiori Castle - Tergiversa

48424700282_a116a75971_z.jpg

Near the outskirts of Illyrian, the ruins of the abandoned cathedral of Sana Argentum rested in a silence so intense that one would have imagined that the old structure were slumbering in the sleep of death, save for a slight wind which whistled eerily at intervals through the old stonework as through a graveyard, and a few dim torches, flickering in the night air.  

48424559726_d70123c33f_z.jpg

Just as the dawn began to crack through the open arch at the entryway, the sound as of a impatient watcher might have been caught behind one of the main pillars, if there had been anyone to observe it. 

48424701552_11b40d745c_z.jpg

Suddenly the form of Falco de Fiori emerged, and he gazed intently through the entry to the cathedral.

P7256721.JPG

"They are coming!" he whispered, in a low and eager tone.

A minute later low footsteps could be heard approaching, and two figures came to the archway, stopped, exchanged a whisper, and passed steadily through.  The second was a stout and vigilant retainer, dressed in the royal colors - the first a grizzled man in a black hood, but still in his prime, his face one of strength and determination.  As the two de Fiori brothers stepped out from behind the pillar he threw back his hood and revealed the unmistakable face of - the Rego.

P7256730.JPG

"Susto and Falco de Fiori," the Rego smiled - "Pray, and what was the reason you requested this untimely interview?"

Susto took a step forward.  "Well, my dear Rego, what if I were to tell you that it has been hinted that you have been being remiss in the performance of your duties?  Quiet as it has lately been, their are many excellent families in the realm who have contributed to the prosperity of Varlyrio, but instead of encouraging and promoting them as a wise Rego ought, you have been only sitting upon your beds of ease and basking in their gold while they fade away and vanish, and the realm falls into the pit of oblivion.  Take the Di Carlo family, for one - they almost single-handedly took the gold for Varlyrio under the Queen's latest challenge - though I do not say the de Fiori's approve of such royal whims - but what have your majesty done about the profitable efforts of our olive merchants?  Nothing, nothing at all!" 

"So that is it, de Fiori, is it?  Do you think I do not know that you yourselves have allied yourself with that family and only seek to benefit from any position I reward them with yourselves?"

P7256732.JPG

"He who has no friends," returned Susto coolly, "should not be the one admonishing those who do."

"Well, there has never been much love lost between us, de Fiori - I can see no cause why I should tolerate your self-interested whims."

"Is that so?  There are ways in Varlyrio, you know, of seeing things done."  Falco tapped his bare blade wisely.  "I do not say a de Fiori would have much cause to make a move, but it is not an petty little family whom you have but now insulted.  I shall take care that Luca di Carlo hears of what you think of him."

Supano took a step forward, and his bodyguard moved so close behind him that Susto could feel him.  

"Do you threaten me?" 

P7256741.JPG

Falco ran his hand through his hair and grinned.

The Rego turned on his heels, looking back from the entranceway.

"Take care, you sons of Fiori."

The brothers looked at each other and winked, and before a minute had passed, as the first morning birds began to sing, the cathedral had once again been left to its wonted solitude.

48424700947_7c2223f18a_z.jpg

A couple more pics:

48424558631_ac919c37e1_z.jpg

48424559236_3b49d0bb59_z.jpg

This was my entry to the Ruins category of the Summer Joust, and it's been due here for way too long!  Photography was quite challenging (and I did end up with a bit of the fish-eye effect), but was done entirely with natural light and except for one or two of the pics, no editing was done afterwards except for some cropping.  Inspired by this picture by Charlie Bowater (at least, so I gathered from the signature, haha).  

Thanks for viewing, C&C are welcome as always!

Actually, Sana Argentum or whatever didn't even become a legend until after the islands separated, but what have you, clearly the rumors of the antiquity of the building have been exaggerated ;) . Haha, nice work, I think it looks cooler with the people in some respects, and it's great how when they aren't in the picture again it looks even more lonely. 

Edited by W Navarre

great feel to the build and a nice story as well. The droidarms work well as vines/branches och the lighting is very nice in keeping with the story and atmosphere of the whole thing. Well done. 

Really cool ruins, some impressive arches and I like the hint of color the torches provide!  The transition from light to dark grey is also spot on.  And the vines look great too!

A fantastic perspective here, it's a shame because I'm sure this is one of those of those builds where there's lots of details out of sight but as you set it up for one shot they can't be fully appreciated. Oh well!

Nice story too, interested to see how this develops!

Very slick!  I like the dead vines growing up, and all the detail you put into the crumbling stone.  The story is perfect for this setting, too, and I can't wait to see how it plays out.  Are you going to post this in the Intrigue thread?  Use of the closeup border to focus attention farther away really draws attention to small details and brings people in.  My only potential suggestion would be to build an all Lego background and keep it far enough away that it's out of focus so colors blur.  You could even show the change in time as the dawn creeps up by changing shades of color, but your lighting here looks great, too, so I don't know that it would really be an improvement.

The pictures really capture the feeling of an old rotting cathedral, especially that first picture.  Nice use of the skeleton arms on the walls.  It's not to decayed yet to tell what you are looking at too.  Lovely arches and columns.  Nice lighting on the pictures.  Very interesting story also.  Great job Overall.  

A really nice story. It really catches you so it feels like you are there.

Great build and photos. I like the old vines of droid arms. Good depth in the scene

The arch technique is top-notch, particularly for a ruined stone building. Combined with the droid arm vines and eye level perspective it makes for a super convincing scene.
Sweet 3x3 columns too :thumbup:

Great work on the arches in general, but greater work with the MOC's concept and the camera/lighting!