Sign in to follow this  
adde51

Desert oasis

Just north of Mophet, the mighty Arkbri river makes its way across the barren landscape. As the city has grown, more and more trade routes have been established between the river and the city. Aside from the oilroad, the Arkbri river has quickly become the most important way the inhabitants of Mophet are able to aquire goods that had previously been out of their reach. One of the people that often frequent this area is Sayi al'Jamal, a well-built man who has made a rather decent living transporting merchandise between the river and the city. He is well acquainted with the desert and knows the location of the few waterholes in the area, a knowledge that is essential when herding his caravan of camels. 

48706814808_4573b4d6fe_c.jpg

A clos-up of Sayi with one of his camels

48707313802_d5ddff66e9_c.jpg

So this is what a billion cheese slopes on the side, wedged, together, looks like...:grin: . Started with the middle section with the water and then just kept adding slopes and cheese slopes throughout the rest of the build to see what it would look like as a desert landscape, on a bigger scale. Underneath are tiles to keep everything level. Pretty happy with how it turned out, but a bit frustrating when one of the cheese slopes fell on the wrong side and I hade to slowly mover 100 others to adjust it...haha! 

2 minutes ago, dalle said:

Great work with the cheese slopes!

Thank you buddy, glad you liked it!

Yes, that is worth it, it looks so great with the merge from dark orange to tan! Lovely oasis!   I just did a huge landscape (water) with cheese slopes too, even bigger than this, and haha, I totally know what you mean! 

That is a lot of well placed cheese slopes.  The dry cracked landscape is excellent.  The vegetation around the oasis is really nice and lush too.

Another triumph of patience!

The dried out plants and sticks make for a great contrast too.

On 9/10/2019 at 3:25 PM, W Navarre said:

Yes, that is worth it, it looks so great with the merge from dark orange to tan! Lovely oasis!   I just did a huge landscape (water) with cheese slopes too, even bigger than this, and haha, I totally know what you mean! 

Haha, thanks man! Yeah, the cheese slopes feel like both a blessing and a curse at times :laugh:

8 hours ago, Muakhah said:

That is a lot of well placed cheese slopes.  The dry cracked landscape is excellent.  The vegetation around the oasis is really nice and lush too.

Another triumph of patience!

The dried out plants and sticks make for a great contrast too.

Cheers man, glad to hear! Had some fun with the vegetation and figured some dried up ones ought to be there as well, glad you liked it. 

The cheese slope floor looks amazing!  The clay looks great and that's a nice large batch of camels you got. :wink:  I miss a few tall palm trees though. :grin:

Edited by Kai NRG

This is really cool idea, especially with the irregular base. I like the contrast between the tan and medium orange.

The only thing that stands out a bit is that it's too unnaturally flat! It would add to the complexity but you could use tiles underneath the cheese to raise some sections up a little, although it might look a bit weird.

Anyway, lovely MOC!

18 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

The cheese slope floor looks amazing!  The clay looks great and that's a nice large batch of camels you got. :wink:  I miss a few tall palm trees though. :grin:

Thanks! Haha, yeah I've gotten my hands on a decent amount of camels (still no goats though...:hmpf_bad:). Went back and forth a bit about adding palm trees but finally decided against it as I figured this was a rather small wateringhole :wink:

18 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

This is really cool idea, especially with the irregular base. I like the contrast between the tan and medium orange.

The only thing that stands out a bit is that it's too unnaturally flat! It would add to the complexity but you could use tiles underneath the cheese to raise some sections up a little, although it might look a bit weird.

Anyway, lovely MOC!

Thanks a lot! I know it's a bit flat but trying to create this pattern with the cheese slopes, while also giving it elevation here and there, proved quite troublesome...there are tiles underneath to keep the cheese slopes level (using just plates underneath was impossible as the slopes kept falling over...) and adding another layer would make it look a bit wierd. But I get your point, cheers!

This is a really beautiful build!  Those cheese slopes must have been painstaking!  I really like how you layered the dark orange in there to signify higher water content in the soil.  It looks natural, especially with the transition to green after it.  Very cool, and I like how the story makes sense based on the location of the oasis.  I also see some opportunity for you to write up those neat blue/pink flowers like @Aurore does, depicting their genus.  We should start collecting a list for the Wiki page or something.  Great job!

Fantastic build.  The use of the cheese slopes for dry cracked soil looks amazing.  Nice watering hole with the vegetation around it.  Interesting looking flowers.  That is a lot of camels you have too.  

On 9/13/2019 at 4:11 AM, Grover said:

This is a really beautiful build!  Those cheese slopes must have been painstaking!  I really like how you layered the dark orange in there to signify higher water content in the soil.  It looks natural, especially with the transition to green after it.  Very cool, and I like how the story makes sense based on the location of the oasis.  I also see some opportunity for you to write up those neat blue/pink flowers like @Aurore does, depicting their genus.  We should start collecting a list for the Wiki page or something.  Great job!

Thanks, yeah the cheese slopes took a while to get in order...:laugh: . Glad you liked the colour-transition, appreciate it! I probably should write some more about the plants and flower, could make for an interesting read if all that info was collected in one place as you suggested. 

On 9/13/2019 at 4:35 AM, zoth33 said:

Fantastic build.  The use of the cheese slopes for dry cracked soil looks amazing.  Nice watering hole with the vegetation around it.  Interesting looking flowers.  That is a lot of camels you have too.  

Thanks a lot! Haha, yeah the camel-collection is coming along nicely :wink:

On 9/10/2019 at 12:07 PM, adde51 said:

but a bit frustrating when one of the cheese slopes fell on the wrong side and I hade to slowly mover 100 others to adjust it...haha! 

Lol :laugh: ...but the final result is a true masterpiece!:thumbup:

I really like your scene. I cannot say more than other people: the use of cheese slopes and slopes is brillant. The camels equipment looks also nice, I like you made different ones.

Great MOC!

On 9/24/2019 at 3:14 PM, _TLG_ said:

Nice scene, I like the ground especially!

Much appreciated, thank you! 

On 9/26/2019 at 7:11 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Lol :laugh: ...but the final result is a true masterpiece!:thumbup:

haha, thanks!

On 9/27/2019 at 3:41 AM, Reaper said:

Very nice build! The base must have taken ages!

it took a while...but I'm glad people seem to enjoy it!

On 9/28/2019 at 4:35 PM, Eoin Wallace said:

That build is great!:wub:

Thank you very much!

On 10/6/2019 at 9:21 PM, Zed_43 said:

I really like your scene. I cannot say more than other people: the use of cheese slopes and slopes is brillant. The camels equipment looks also nice, I like you made different ones.

Great MOC!

Thanks! Glad you thought so :sweet:

Beautiful little scene! The cheese slopes look Excellent, including the color transition and the use of the brown grass. The foliage is very well done, and the stacked flowers work well. Great job!

On 10/25/2019 at 4:22 PM, Rogue Angel said:

Beautiful little scene! The cheese slopes look Excellent, including the color transition and the use of the brown grass. The foliage is very well done, and the stacked flowers work well. Great job!

Thank you kindly man, glad you liked the transition between the colours as well! 

Wow! Incredible how well the loose piece base design works for dry and cracked desert terrain :wub:
Great collection of camels too, and you did a good job keeping their packs unique and interesting :thumbup:

On 3/2/2020 at 5:40 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Wow! Incredible how well the loose piece base design works for dry and cracked desert terrain :wub:
Great collection of camels too, and you did a good job keeping their packs unique and interesting :thumbup:

Thank you, a pretty time-consuming technique, haha! Glad you liked the camels as well. 

Yeah, that color of cheese slope was at the BAP wall at the Lego stores a couple of years ago, so they were easy to pick up in bulk.  They look great here!

On 4/10/2020 at 8:51 PM, Beleg the Ranger said:

The cheese slopes look amazing!:classic: I wish I had that many, them being one of my favorite pieces!

Thanks! Yeah, like Grover said, the PaB-wall really helped when gathering that quantity, haha!

On 4/11/2020 at 2:58 AM, Grover said:

Yeah, that color of cheese slope was at the BAP wall at the Lego stores a couple of years ago, so they were easy to pick up in bulk.  They look great here!

Cheers man! PaB-wall for the win :laugh: