Lego David

Is LEGO.com dying?

I am pretty sure each of us has found memories of going on LEGO.com for the first time and playing all the awesome flash games, watching all the videos, seeing all the sets, and learning more about LEGO. But as of recent years, I feel like LEGO.com has started to die out. Almost all the flash games have been replaced with app games. All the videos are now uploaded on YouTube. All the sets are revealed mouths before their release, and shopping online for LEGO has slowly moved from LEGO Shop At Home to other web sites such as Amazon.com. I don't know about you, but I barely even see people even talk about LEGO.com anymore. Sure, we do get occasional Shop At Home exclusive sets, but that is about it. 

What do you think? Is LEGO.com slowly dying? Or is it still popular and I am not aware of it?

I'd say you answered your own question. :laugh: 

If kids wanna play a game, they'll probably wanna play it on their phone or tablet, especially since a three year old for example might not own a computer. Also there's the thing with Adobe discontinuing Flash in 2020 RIP.

Buying? well parents do the buying, they know how to navigate Amazon, and might have a Prime account which gets them same day delivery, free shipping, etc.

And yeah most kids I think would wanna watch the videos on Youtube.

Also if they want news about new sets coming out, they'll probably follow a popular social media account which specializes in reporting rumors, leaks, and official reports.

And if the kid is a big enough fan that he want's to buy individual parts, then he probably knows about Bricklink.

No, it is just changing - by getting rid of stuff that is not so popular and concentrating on the shop side for adults / parents and as a portal rather than as a host for content for kids. Games are often better as apps than online games, and it makes sense to host these on google play / appstore rather than on the website. A lot of videos are still embedded on the website, but it makes sense to also have these on youtube where kids tend to go to watch videos.

Probably not.

In this day and age, no company; from the smallest market stall to the Fortune 500 big boys, would go without a website or at least a web presence. While The LEGO Group is following their audience and posting/creating content on popular platforms they still require an official homepage that they have total control over.

There will always be a LEGO website, but not always in the form you remember. I signed up to the site 19 years ago when a family member first got connected to the internet. What I accessed then is very different to what I access today. In the year 2000 the site I encountered would have looked totally different to LEGO.com at their site at launch in 1996. 

It will grow and change to fit the needs of the company and the market. 

I think that there's a difference between "dying" and changing. Lego.com is unquestionably a different sort of place than it was ten to 20 years ago. Recent updates have focused the site into two different silos—one for kids activities and one for adult shoppers. Gone are the visually distinct, independent subpages for themes that I used to love as a kid—what remains are more matter of fact and orderly catalogs of what's available. Nostalgically speaking, it's quite a shame, though I suppose from an adult perspective the newer format is more honest about its core purpose of advertising the products.

And those changes also mirror those of the internet as a whole. Single purpose sites have largely gone by the wayside compared to larger social media hubs like Facebook and YouTube when it comes to reaching kids. Even for adults, sites like this very forum feel more and more like an anomaly as more people tend to gather and find each other under the larger umbrella of sites like Facebook.

I wouldn't say its dying. But that site, which used to be easy to navigate, has kinda gotten confusing. That's just from my perspective. Others may see it differently. 

I went to Lego.com and clicked on the "new sets" link in the menu.

One of the new sets listed on that page is the Ninjago set "Destiny's Bounty", which is now "discontinued" according to the website :laugh:

Yeah, I'd say that Lego.com may not have any shortage of visitors, but the attention paid to site maintenance needs to be increased.

7 hours ago, hagridshut said:

I went to Lego.com and clicked on the "new sets" link in the menu.

One of the new sets listed on that page is the Ninjago set "Destiny's Bounty", which is now "discontinued" according to the website :laugh:

Yeah, I'd say that Lego.com may not have any shortage of visitors, but the attention paid to site maintenance needs to be increased.

They've always been slow to update in my opinion. I remember after Exo-Force was discontinued, the theme page for it was still there for a looong time.

I still remember first signing up for the site when the launch page was basically a giant brick wall.

14 hours ago, pooda said:

I wouldn't say its dying. But that site, which used to be easy to navigate, has kinda gotten confusing. That's just from my perspective. Others may see it differently. 

I can't agree more. I have the exact same issue.