Elusys Ra Arwal

[MOC] Pirate ship "Parthenope"

The ship looks great. I like the many interesting details. I'm excited.:pir-love:

On 8/4/2020 at 11:57 PM, NOD said:

The ship looks great. I like the many interesting details. I'm excited.:pir-love:

Thanks!

I'll post some more pictures soon, both renderings and real ones. I am in the process of substituting all the temporary ropes I used throughout the ship with better ones, but I have to order the cables and make them first, then order all the blocks and pulleys etc. and I am going to use the wooden ones for modeling, same for the ropes. I don't think I will install every single rope you'd find on a model, because it would then be almost impossible to open or modify it, though I want to make it as finished as possible. So in the meantime I like showing off snippets of it here and there.

I also am slowly building the crew, so I have to decide first which faces, torsos and legs to combine and then hope to find everything from one shop and place the order! That will be a challenge... If any of you knows of a place or a few shops on bricklink that aren't expensive and are in Europe, I'll be happy to check them all! 

I LOVE your ship. You did an fantastic job! :pir-love::pir-huzzah2:

I also love to see the use of my anchor approach! You managed to build the two arms in a way that it looks realistic which I didn't get. Very nice!

Can't wait to see further images. 

4 hours ago, Robin_IV said:

I LOVE your ship. You did an fantastic job! :pir-love::pir-huzzah2:

I also love to see the use of my anchor approach! You managed to build the two arms in a way that it looks realistic which I didn't get. Very nice!

Can't wait to see further images. 

Thank you very much!

I am glad you liked the anchor, but the idea of it unfortunately didn't come from your design, but from this one:

Ship's anchor final

The things I modified are the length of the rod that links the wooden part to the lower part because this one is too short, and I also modified the length of the arms, which were too long. I also had to change the attachment of the anchor, because using that modified tile with clip didn't hold the anchor parts securely and effectively, so my workaround was using those wedged plates to cover the brick with "studs on all sides". Then a problem arose, too much gray! And then I was trying to figure out why Lego never made those pieces, and some others too, black as well... I mean, come on!

Anyway, with some spray paint I colored those pieces in black and voilà, problem solved! I also made a different anchor, by cutting in half a small 3L bar and gluing it on one side of a longer 4L one to make this type of anchor:

IMG_2005.JPG.78e1dc83c582d1405fe1ed688fc

IMG_2031.JPG.2dbf8d6b000fab71c7640e65cd6

this is what I have made so far:

20200813_143442

I have to make rings, put the ropes in place and then find a spot on the bridge where to put them, because there's not so much room!

On 8/13/2020 at 8:40 AM, Elusys Ra Arwal said:

I also made a different anchor, by cutting in half a small 3L bar and gluing it on one side of a longer 4L one to make this type of anchor:20200813_143442

I like it. I've never seen someone replicate that in Lego. I have to ask though, did you try using the friction ram piece? it seems like that would accomplish a similar effect without having to resort to cutting and gluing.

14 minutes ago, rock raider said:

I like it. I've never seen someone replicate that in Lego. I have to ask though, did you try using the friction ram piece? it seems like that would accomplish a similar effect without having to resort to cutting and gluing.

Well, I did think about it and I might order a couple of them but in September, when I'll make some orders on bricklink. Meanwhile I wanted to try making it since I have lots of 3l bars and some 4l ones, so no big deal!