Sign in to follow this  
brickbuilder711

FEC #153 4-6-2 Pacific Locomotive

Hi friends,

Those that know me know I'm a diesel guy so I stepped into foreign territory LOL. But I had the pleasure of building Florida East Coast #153, an ALCO 4-6-2 Pacific Type that is on display at Gold Coast Railroad Museum.

As a volunteer/model railroad operator in their Models room, at will I had the opportunity to get several reference pictures of the engine to build the MOC. In exchange the MOC will be taken and displayed in many venues both in and outside of the Museum to promote GCRM. 

The MOC was rendered in LDD. I admit I cheated a bit and followed the plan somewhat for the Emerald Night since the wheel rig was mostly the same. Given the unforgiving R40 curves one would think there are so many ways to do a 4-6-2, right? :laugh: However the originality is all in the unique details of the Pacific that had to be captured.

I put together a video showcasing both the real engine and the model in full for the 'showdown'. Enjoy!

48700365778_a0ffd2b569_c.jpg

48700875872_d2e4aff062_c.jpg

Edited by brickbuilder711

Have you gotten to run this? The emereald chassis needed alot of work to get it runable without issues ... Even after she was still a finicky machine.  Mine personally has to run CW not CCW 

I think some finishing decals would suit the model well though it looks fairly similar in shape so well done.

Great MOC! I like the technique you used for the cowcatcher. And seeing it on the running boards gives one a sense of how massive the real thing is!

4 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Have you gotten to run this? The emereald chassis needed alot of work to get it runable without issues ... Even after she was still a finicky machine.  Mine personally has to run CW not CCW 

I think some finishing decals would suit the model well though it looks fairly similar in shape so well done.

Thanks! Yes she is finnicky, and definitely needs some kind of lubrication. I don't expect to run her much though. The real thing doesn't.

4 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What a beautiful locomotive and what an amazing background!:wub_drool:

3 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Great MOC! I like the technique you used for the cowcatcher. And seeing it on the running boards gives one a sense of how massive the real thing is!

Thanks!! I agree it makes the real thing look humongous lol.

On 9/9/2019 at 12:35 AM, JopieK said:

Looks very nice @brickbuilder711. I think basing it on the EN is a smart thing to do!

On 9/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Looking good! And it is always neat to see a MOC in front of the prototype

Thanks guys! I love these MOC prototype showdowns too.