Rustinidiel

What makes a MOC interesting?

hi all, i need your opinion to understand what makes a MOC interesting like a set to want to buy...

this question is not relative to Technic sets or various UCS sets... so... i understand a very bg moc is interesting... but is not the point....

i want now how create a small or middle sized MOC that is a good product to been selled for example..

thanks for all opinion that you want give me

If you want to sell it, you need to not use too many bricks that are not necessarily. I generally use too many little pieces that highly increase the total number of part. Also try to create something that you like, so you will more easily spend time on it to re-work the build. For me, building is the thing I love to do.

Detail is key no matter the size of the build. Too much and it can become cluttered too little and it is plain and boring. That is personally one of the bits that I find hardest to get right when building a MOC. Also try to get as much feedback as possible that always helps.

8 hours ago, BrickProject said:

If you want to sell it, you need to not use too many bricks that are not necessarily. I generally use too many little pieces that highly increase the total number of part. Also try to create something that you like, so you will more easily spend time on it to re-work the build. For me, building is the thing I love to do.

I try everytime to desgn first things i like, because they inspire more my creativity

7 hours ago, marvelBoy123 said:

Detail is key no matter the size of the build. Too much and it can become cluttered too little and it is plain and boring. That is personally one of the bits that I find hardest to get right when building a MOC. Also try to get as much feedback as possible that always helps.

the strange thing (lol) is that in this forum is very hard to gain a feedback... in the most cases users view the creations and not give any opinion

7 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

You may want to use parts that are more easily obtained, none that have recently been designed and released.

luckily LDD has not too recent parts :laugh:

7 hours ago, marvelBoy123 said:

This sums it up nicely. 

Designing a MOC is fundamentally similar to designing computer software that models something.  A software architect has to make judgment calls on which details are important, and which details are superfluous.  Modelling too much could mean confusion for the end user, excessive use of computing resources (too much processor load or memory footprint), or insufficient detail in some critical area because resources were spent on unimportant items. 

39 minutes ago, Rustinidiel said:

the strange thing (lol) is that in this forum is very hard to gain a feedback... in the most cases users view the creations and not give any opinion

It can be difficult to give feedback based on images of a Lego model.  

When I build things, I consider equally: aesthetics, functionality, and durability.  

Aesthetics can be somewhat judged on photos of builds or 3D models, but it is not always possible to capture in pictures how a Lego model looks in real life.   Functionality can also be difficult to judge.  Do moving parts get in the way of each other?  How much space is available within the model, and is it accessible to the person using it?  Durability can also be hard to gauge without holding an actual build.  Do pieces easily fall off?  How well would the model hold up to play?  

When discussing Aesthetics, I try to think about colors, textures, angles, scale, and balance.  Is the color palate appropriate to what the Lego model is trying to represent?  Are the sub-sections of the model to scale with each other?  Is the model too uniform in textures, or are there too many competing surface types (like smooth plates, studs, matte roof bricks, barrels, etc.).  Is something too blocky?  Is the model unbalanced in some way by having too much detail in one area but not enough detail somewhere else?  

Evaluating these things is hard, and putting that evaluation into words even more difficult.  

6 hours ago, hagridshut said:

Aesthetics can be somewhat judged on photos of builds or 3D models, but it is not always possible to capture in pictures how a Lego model looks in real life.   Functionality can also be difficult to judge.  Do moving parts get in the way of each other?  How much space is available within the model, and is it accessible to the person using it?  Durability can also be hard to gauge without holding an actual build.  Do pieces easily fall off?  How well would the model hold up to play? 

And to add to that, was it fun to build?

And a big one - were the parts easy enough to source?

If you want to sell any, I'd give some away. Aside from the Arvo Bros Alien, I don't think I have ever bought MOC instructions from someone that doesn't give something away first so you can judge the quality of their builds. Give away a few MOC instructions and people will learn the quality and might buy some more from you. Another must for me is seeing the final thing built by you on your website / selling channel. If you haven't built it for real, why would I want to build it? I'm not a fan of MOCs churned out by LDD builders primarily for sale rather than for what they are.