marvelBoy123

Black Knight

Another marvel vignette. Decided to try out some more different techniques this time hence the floor. Its not perfect, but I'm happy with how it turned out as a first attempt.

http://48694424301_3fdc2aa03b_z.jpgBlack knight castle by marvelBoy123, on Flickr

Please I really want feedback, I am eager to improve and try new things but I currently don't feel that I get enough input to improve. 

Edited by marvelBoy123

Just focussing on the floor, I think it looks fine.  I like the addition of the tiles with the spiders- that's a fun touch.  The technique is OK, but I think it would look a lot better in a larger area and with less of the ramshackle/broken look.  That is, in that small 5x6 stud area, it seems strange to have just that small an area inset by that much, and with that much of it being busted-up, it almost starts to look like a pile of debris rather than an old and weathered stone floor.  If you did the same thing in a larger area and had a larger percentage of the floor still intact with just some damaged areas, I think it would look good.  All that being said, I get that it's a vignette so it's a necessarily small area you're working with, and maybe just removing that extra plate up that the knight is standing on and making that only as high as the border plates around the smaller floor area would make it all feel a little more cohesive.

Purely my opinion, of course, but I hope some of that feedback is valuable.  Thanks for sharing!  :classic:

Thanks, I agree that it would work better on a larger area and plan to use it in that context someday. The main problem I had is that you need a lot of the same colour of 1x1 tile. This was more I trial run to see if I liked the technique without investing in new pieces. All in all I'm pretty happy with it, I don't mind it looking a little ramshackle as this is the modern heroic black knight from the comics and so a slightly ruined castle is not too out of place in the setting. 

Thanks for the feedback - this is the sort of thing I want! :classic:

I'm probably not qualified, but here are my thoughts anyway.

Nice scene. This is Dane Whitman, the Marvel Black Knight, yes? Nice figure, nice dark grey colours/lighting in the photo. I love the legs on top on the wall! Some suggestions;

- I agree with deraven that the floor is a bit rubbly at that scale. It would blend into a pattern over a larger scene but on such a small one I might make it out of neat 1x1 tiles or 2×2 tiles. But great experiment with the floor techniques you've used anyway.

-Sometimes it looks more 'artistic' to photograph something like this at 45 degrees rather than straight on.

- Since it's Marvel , and not straight 'castle', you could consider adding some 'fantastic' touch like a computer panel or cosmic ray or something.

- it's a small scene but you might consider adding one or two more things to interest the eye. Maybe increase the wall height for a more 'massive' gothic feel, or add a second wall or even an ornate chair or suit of armour in the recess under the arch.

- The spiders are cute but if you're going for the full AFOL look, they maybe look a bit 'junior's'...

Great work, anyway.

I also agree with the people above. That is a clever design, but it needs to be on a bigger scale. I like the use of legs, and some of the curvy pieces used in the flood design. Another minor nitpick is that a slight bit of lime green is visible just under where Black Knight is standing, but that's not major.

Well done! Love the laser blast thingy.

Two more challenges, if you ever feel up to it.

If you ever have the parts, in theory I would use grey or dark computer panels because the scene is inherently dark and medievel (with technology). The white computer is maybe more suited to the Ice Planet colour palette. That is a council of perfection though.

I love the fact that you've added a fight. Since it is a battle or attack, it would be nice to add some movement to the people. Maybe by having one of them perched higher on transparent bricks, having one of them leaning backwards etc. Also, I always remember rule one of theatre. Never turn your back on the audience. If you Google 'proctor black knight' for example you will see that the very first picture shows both their faces side by side as they fight. That is of course a bit unlike the real world, where people go face to face, but the Marvel artist understood that people want to see both combatants faces to empathise with them. Not so easy to do in Lego I know!

Is this supposed to be Marvel's Black Knight? Thanks going to be a tough figure to pull off without a custom molded helmet.