T Lego

[MOC] Ferrari LaFerrari 1:11 hypercar w/ instructions

The LaFerrari represents Ferrari’s most ambitious project yet to push the boundaries of technology on a road car. Only 499 units were produced, and each cost more than 1 million US dollars since its release back in 2013.

20190906_163819.jpg

My replica had to be as authentic as possible to the real masterpiece when it comes to both functionality and aesthetics. Therefore I chose for the classis manual chassis rather than a remote controlled version instead. Off coarse I used Sariel’s model scaler to get all proportions right

20190906_165851.jpg

Specifications:

-Length: 53 Studs (42 cm); Width 21 Studs (17 cm); height: 12.5 Studs (9.5 cm)

-Weight: 1100 g

-Parts count: 1566 pcs

Features:

-RWD

-Front and rear independent suspension

-Working fake mini V12 engine (by crowkillers)

-Steering with HOG control and positive Caster angle

-Working diffuser flaps which deploy when steered (Brunojj1’s idea)

-Modular bodywork (easily detachable to reveal chassis)

-Openable butterfly doors with HOG control

-Openable engine bay with knee joint mechanism

20190906_163537.jpg

20190906_165708.jpg

Considering it’s scale, the parameters I wanted to include were not easy to achieve at all, resulting in many headaches throughout the design process. The doors are a perfect example: their opening movement had as realistic as possible whilst not interfering with any of the other bodywork or front wheels, as they are part of the fender. When fully opened, the doors also needed to lock into place and they had to be operated using HOGs. The engine bay was a nightmare to design too. Very complicated curves had to be replicated with limited space for connectors to put the panels at the right angles. It Interfering with the chassis was a big bottleneck as well.

20190906_170330.jpg

20190906_165248.jpg

20190906_165929.jpg

I am quite satisfied with the result of my dream hypercar replication, therefore I took the opportunity to make high quality renders building instructions using Stud.io. Building instructions and parts list are available here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-29075/T-Lego/ferrari-laferrari/#admin

Ferrari%20Laferrari%20complete%20chassis%20render%20front%20side%20view.png

Ferrari%20Laferrari%20complete%20chassis%20render%20rear%20side%20view.png

Laferrari%20moving%20internals%20render.png

Ferrari%20Laferrari%20rear.png

More pictures at my bricksafe: https://bricksafe.com/pages/T_Antonie/ferrari-laferrari

Constructive critics, feedback and questions are as always appreciated!

Enjoy your day

Wow, what and awesome model! i like the way you made the rear suspensions and drivetrain, I remmeber using the same idea years ago in a rally car. Nice job with the doors too, do they tend to bend the connectors on the roof sideways? Why was the power to the fake engine reuted in such a complicated way through so many gears?

Edited by Zerobricks

Wow! What a perfect rendition of the LaFerrari. Truly impressive. I like it’s a Technic model with some traditional bricks to add to the overall aesthetics. For instance to create the mirrors. If Lego had brought out this model, this would be an instant hit. Bravo! Thank you very much for the instructions. Much appreciated!

Incredible model with so many functions at this scale :wub:

You've captured the lines very well given the scale. At some areas it looks a little cluttered, but again, that is mostly due to scale. I do concur with @Zerobricks that the engine powertrain looks a bit complicated, but that is really nitpicking.

Great model :thumbup:

Thanks for the compliments everyone!  

11 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Nice job with the doors too, do they tend to bend the connectors on the roof sideways? Why was the power to the fake engine reuted in such a complicated way through so many gears?

Regarding the doors: since the pinhole is only 0.5 studs deep that can easily happen, but it doesn't get forced outwards.

4 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I do concur with @Zerobricks that the engine powertrain looks a bit complicated, but that is really nitpicking.

Regarding the drivetrain: I agree it looks overcomplicated, but it was the only way I could connect the engine with the diff. If I wanted to go directly up from the U joint to connect to engine, I would also have to come forward, which would take a bite from the interior. Despite it looking complicated, it does works very smooth.

Edited by T Lego

Amazing work! This is what the 8653 enzo should have been!

The only niggle i have is the mini fake engine, i really dont like this, but considering the scale and detail level, it is the only possible solution here, so i wont harp on about it, considering i dont have the skill level to build something like this, im not sure i have the right to any criticism anyway :P

This is definitely going on my "to build" list, ~ 1500 parts is a much more do-able endeavour then those 3K+ monstrosities, and for this model i already have the wheels etc.. So after raiding the partsbin the cost for extra parts should be reasonable

Thanks for sharing, I´m pretty excited to see it revealed finally :moar:! The bare chassis is a piece of art on its own, the overall appearance doesn´t disappoint in any way :wub:. Fantastic functionality considering the limitations at the given scale, especially the (widely) opening doors & engine cover :thumbup::thumbup:!

Some minor critics must come from me regarding the area around the rear wheel arches and the big gap between the engine cover and the lower panel. However, the side view still looks very uncompromised and lovely.

Enjoy your great success with this stunning creation!

Edited by brunojj1

Very impressive indeed. The shapes are here and the lines still flow fluidly. Very clean chassis as well. 

Good job :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for the compliments! You've made my day:blush: It motivates me to continue my current WIP:thumbup:

4 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Some minor critics must come from me regarding the area around the rear wheel arches and the big gap between the engine cover and the lower panel. However, the side view still looks very uncompromised and lovely.

Thanks for your feedback! I agree about your critics. Here is a fix for the ugly gap:

20190907_154020.jpeg

6 hours ago, T Lego said:

..I agree about your critics. Here is a fix for the ugly gap:

Oh sorry *oh2*, my sincere apologies for not being precise enough! Should I say "engine hood" instead of "engine cover"? Btw., no need to fix anything on my behalf or satisfy anybody else than yourself in general, only if you feel the need for the sake of Your project improving the appearance by some minor but crucial changes. I was talking particularly about this area here:

640x381.jpg

Maybe you would feel the need / see a chance / be happy with moving the lower panel 1/2 stud up. Of course I don´t know if the new attachment points would interfere with anything else, it´s just an idea:

Lower_panel_1.jpg.pngLower_panel.jpg.png

Or 1 entire stud up + adding a 8x1 tile at the bottom not to ruin the line:

Lower_panel_2.jpg

7 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Maybe you would feel the need / see a chance / be happy with moving the lower panel 1/2 stud up. Of course I don´t know if the new attachment points would interfere with anything else, it´s just an idea:

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I appreciate your input here:thumbup:! Moving the panel up half a stud works perfect! I couldn't use your first idea, beceause, like you suposed, it interfered with the knee joint mechanism.

The side view is much better now. I won't change the instructions or partslist.

20190908_095458.jpeg

20190908_090936.jpeg

Woah...Laferrari is one of my favorite Hypercars, too. The powerful torque that goes up to approximately 1000hp. The speed. I'm gonna make it with RC(Buggy) motors and a RC unit. (9v) Yours is really a masterpiece. You designed all of the 'trademark details' in the real car. Woah. Good Job. ^_^

2016 Laferrari.jpg

On 9/6/2019 at 11:44 PM, T Lego said:

20190906_163537.jpg

Some more nitpicking on this truly awesome creation... :grin_wub:

Regarding the side view, I was wondering if the 5x11 red panel in the door looks a bit too chunky. Have you considered or tried using a tapered 5x11 panel? Such that the bottom right corner would be shaved off. Perhaps the #21 panel in front of it could then be a #4 panel?

I'm just hypothesizing from this one photo, without having considered if this'd work vis-à-vis connection points... Please excuse me if this is all just silly. :blush:

11 minutes ago, astyanax said:

Some more nitpicking on this truly awesome creation... :grin_wub:

Regarding the side view, I was wondering if the 5x11 red panel in the door looks a bit too chunky. Have you considered or tried using a tapered 5x11 panel? Such that the bottom right corner would be shaved off. Perhaps the #21 panel in front of it could then be a #4 panel?

I'm just hypothesizing from this one photo, without having considered if this'd work vis-à-vis connection points... Please excuse me if this is all just silly. :blush:

You are right that the panel in the door looks a bit chunky. I have considered using the 5x11 panel but that one is 2 studs wide which causes trouble. IMO it doesn't really disturb the appearance. The side view was improved after Bruno's advice though by mounting the #4 panel behind the door higher.

Ferrari%20Laferrari%20side%20view%20with