rm8

[TMC1] 8081 - Extreme Cruiser - Modification Contest

I will also enter this just for fun even thought I don't have this set, the parts are not that hard to have and I have most of them.

First sketches of my version. 

Because the original model was unacceptable in these days due to critical safety issues (holes in the floor) and had some several problems with front axle servicing and replacement, our engineering department with design studio decieded to completly regdesign the whole car into new generation, not just facelift it. We know, it might be too radical, and expwnsive for the final manufacturer, but we see it as necessity for further competitiveness. 

Design studio analyzed the original car, and found key elements that should be kept, or only slughtly modified. 

Engineering department got only one task and bunch of boundary conditions (e.g., the V6, front independent suspension and live axle in the rear. 

We still can not decide, whether we should make four- or just twodoor body for it. What do our potential customers want? 

The front section is just a sketch, it might not be the final version. 

Hope it does not exceed borders of rules of this contest. 

Hope you like it. :blush:

800x600.jpg

Edited by HorcikDesigns

Wow, I like what you did to the front end here, and I am excited to see what you do with the back end. This does not exceed the bounds of the contest. I am glad the engineering and design of @HorcikDesigns is keeping a customer focused approach to working through all the issues of 8081.

I am interested to see a four door, as one of my designs is going this route as well. How many studs is your wheelbase currently? I am at 30 studs with my four door, and it is feeling a little long. What's your wheelbase on your four door @rm8?

@Thirdwigg Thank you, I am glad that you like it. Wheelbase of my version is currently variable parameter with values between 28 and 35 studs, as the cab (more precisely, first sketch of it) looks too small relative to the engine bay. Maybe I should build the original 8081 first, to get size comparison... :blush:

And I think I'll build the 2door version, in order not to have all entries with 4d-s. :)

Edited by HorcikDesigns

@Thirdwigg thank you and yes, I can fit another pair of pistons to upgrade the V-8 into a V-10!!  My model is only 1 stud longer then the stock 8081 and same wheelbase. I just started to do detail in the engine bay.. A battery and a radiator so far installed!!  

20190909_075804

Edited by sirslayer

This is the reason why I decided for two-door version. Four door with my front section solution does not ressemble the original well. The hood is too long, and the current cab is too small, relative to the hood. I'll try to rebuild it.

800x450.jpg

I also tried to sketch the original 8081 as real car, trying to find basic and most characteristic styling elements.

Edited by HorcikDesigns

And here is my entry in this small contest.

We all know our beloved Extreme Cruiser, we know that best engeneers works on new, updated version. But lets look on it predcessor:

Daytona Omnis R2

IMG_20190909_204315.jpg

I instead of trying to create new version of 8081, thought "How Extreme Cruiser could look if it was produced in 80-es..." So remade it into off-road coupe with styling from the past.

More information could be found it MOD's topic.

Edited by Arioh

4 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

This is the reason why I decided for two-door version. Four door with my front section solution does not ressemble the original well. The hood is too long, and the current cab is too small, relative to the hood. I'll try to rebuild it.

Oh, what a pity that you gave up on this model. It looks promising! Of course I like the hood as I'm using a similar one in my 8081 mod (early shots). And I really think it's not too long compared to the cab - maybe if the front part is attached, but you could still add a shorter nose (from system parts) as I did. I think from the displayed state it could have developed into a great looking pickup. You don't have created a digital version from it, don't you? :sweet:

But you're right, it sadly doesn't have much in common with the 8081.

Edited by johnnym

Here are the first pictures of my mod.

For now I remade the suspension, while keeping the horizontal springs on the front. 

800x533.jpgI also added a negative caster angle. However, as it is now it causes a lot of bump steer.

800x533.jpg

concerning the rear axle it’s just a pseudo live axle that keeps the orientation of the original springs.

800x533.jpg

For now I haven’t touched the bodywork at all so please don’t mind about strange Colors.

Spoiler

Guys, lets, clean this topic and leave it only for question dedicated to challenge.

There is a topic about modification, where you can share WIP photos and so on.

Here is my entry
MOD%208081.png

And a Link to it's dedicated topic

Hope you like it.

P.s I hope I'm allowed to post that here. if not I will remove it.

So I’ve built the original, well 90% of it as I don’t have all the parts and I’m going to take a look at starting to  MOD it tonight but there will be big gaps in my build time due to how busy my life is at the moment. It’s definitely something I’ll stick at as it’s a great small model and I’ll post a WIP thread on what I come up with but it may not be till Christmas that my model is fully built. So I may not be part of your Competition, and please don’t delay it based on me.

if I make any progress worthy of a photo tonight I may post an image or 2

On 9/10/2019 at 7:57 AM, Touc4nx said:

For now I remade the suspension, while keeping the horizontal springs on the front. 

I also added a negative caster angle.

Interesting! How did you manage to get that offset between the bricks the steering arms connect to? Aren't they connected with plates?

However, as it is now it causes a lot of bump steer.

If I understand your problem correctly, a rubber band between the wheel "hubs" maybe could improve that.

concerning the rear axle it’s just a pseudo live axle that keeps the orientation of the original springs.

How do you prevent that axle from moving sideways? I don't see any links near the ball joint.

@johnnym
I removed the bottom brick and connected the bottom suspension arms with a 5L half beam.
Concerning the rubber band I have to test, but it might be useful.
They are indeed links on both sides of the ball joint.
800x533.jpg

1 hour ago, Touc4nx said:

I removed the bottom brick and connected the bottom suspension arms with a 5L half beam.

Ok, I have to try that in my buggy. I wanted to build a second one anyhow.

1 hour ago, Touc4nx said:

They are indeed links on both sides of the ball joint.

Ah, ok, now they're in the clear. Works nicely with the chassis.

Sometimes it would be really useful if there were some additional 3L pins with ball or stud or else, so they can also work at points where different parts are connected.

12 hours ago, johnnym said:

3L pins with ball or stud or else

Yes I'm missing these a lot in my builds
(I know it's a bit off-topic)

I'm not going to take part in this now. between work, holiday and stuff going on at home i just havent got the time or brain capacity to do any lego building

14 hours ago, ctx1769 said:

I got 2 8048 from eBay to give me the old expensive technic parts I need :sweet:

Yeah, the 8048 is a great set for useful parts and usually pretty affordable. I could re-use a pretty good amount of its parts in my RC buggy.