rm8

[TMC1] 8081 - Extreme Cruiser - Modification Contest

On 9/5/2019 at 2:24 PM, Jim said:

Go ahead :classic: :thumbup:

Good.

So rules are simple. Imagine 8081 a succesful model, but too old on conveyor. It is  not enough functional and modern for customers anymore. So we have to modify, improve, facelift it, BUT saving the spirit, familiy style and scale of orginal model. No limits with details, but NO electrics! Only manual models. Only physcial builds.

Model can be larger, but scale should be the same. In that case larger - means longer wheelbase, may be higher 1-2 stud depending on body. You shoud know, there is stable tendency in car world:  every new generation of model is larger than previous.

You can change body type, tires, colors suspension, chassis and so on, BUT in the end it should be recognizble as 8081 set successor. Please don't limit yourself by simple mods (tires, lights, color). Prove you deserve to be general designer in car company who have strong need in updating its model line.?

You can also use custom wheels or tires, but only because LEGO wheels are not good enough. Do a 8081 mk2.

If you are still not understand what's cool in this set, check my review (with english subtitles)

Huzzah! I'm thinking I need to do something a little more substantive than just a little pickup. I'll get the ideas going. Due date?

Also, who is going to do the limo version?

Edited by Thirdwigg

I don't have much time right now, but we can make this a bit more official and create a separate topic (which I did).

Sorry, still new here: I had a quick look at that Mission to Mars contest - so how does this work here?

• Can we post WIP shots or does it have to be the final "product" only, too? And how many shots are allowed?
  • Are pictures alone OK or do we need to produce a video, too? Hopefully not, as I don't have any experience with video production. :blush:
  • Is a digital model required? I'd like that, as it would allow us to build the mods of our liking when they're finished, which makes at least 50% of the fun here.

Maybe a link to where this started would be also useful.

4 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Huzzah! I'm thinking I need to do something a little more substantive than just a little pickup.

Oh please not @Thirdwigg, I'd love to build that pickup of yours when it's finished.

I absolutely love this idea @rm8! Personally im not advanced enough at mocing to take part in those contests, but i love MODing technic sets, pretty much anything i buy either ends up in the partsbin or modded.

I would like it though if a next TMC uses a more readibly available set as a base, 8081 is quite old, and for me was in the middle of my dark ages, and picking one up used is difficult and expensive (relative to its original price and store availability). I always kinda thought thaty 42075 would be a nice base for a contest such as this, so i would suggest that for a next TMC, pick a set which is still in stores and in the $30-60 range, that will allow anyone to jump in and participate without hunting down specific parts or old sets. Looking at 8081, the steering rack and wheels are relatively rare, so pulling one out of the partsbin seems unlikely too.

Great idea to breathe new air into an old "legend". So everything goes, as long as it captures the essence of the model?

17 hours ago, Jim said:

I don't have much time right now, but we can make this a bit more official and create a separate topic (which I did).

BTW when will you round up the Mission to Mars contest?

1 hour ago, vectormatic said:

Looking at 8081, the steering rack and wheels are relatively rare, so pulling one out of the partsbin seems unlikely too.

Check for 8048s on Ebay, they go for less than 30 EUR (plus shipping) here in Germany, buy two of them and you have all 4 of the identical wheels and two sets of the steering parts. Or have a look at the different steering solutions that were already used for 8081 mods in the past by @Thirdwigg, @rm8 and others.

I checked, I have parts. Now in know what to build this weekend. Yes, it will be most probably in different color. Then I could try to modify it. 

5 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Can I make a larger scale model (1:8)?

You can change body type, size (saving scale)

Just now, rm8 said:

You can change body type, size (saving scale)

When you say saving scale, does it mean I have to build in same scale, or can I scale up?

@Zerobricks I would say no to scale change. Part of the interest and challenge with 8081 is the size. So keep scale the same, though size can change due to bodystyle change.

@johnnym I'll keep the pickup, but I might do something additional as well.

@vectormatic let's see an entry from you. Most of the parts are common, and since it's a MOD, you do not need to be tied to the front suspension parts. Let's see something awesome.

@Thirdwigg ill consider it, looking over the parts list again, i should be able to fix up an alternate front suspension, and the tires from 42077 have the same outer diameter. The only thing not sufficiently in my partsbin is shocks, so id have to raid another model for them. I do have a 42056 to build though, not sure what i want to do first.

Either way, i still think that for a next iteration of the TMC, a currently available set is an obvious choice, to me the ~300-600 part set range (to which 8081 belongs) generally provides for excellent models, and would provide every entrant with an easily available and the same starting point

11 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Does entry need to be physically built from bricks, or are digital entries also allowed?

Physical

I might join in this fun as I think I may have a bit of time before October when I’m on holiday and then away at a conference.

I’ll have to build the original first (which I have) to get a good look over the model. As to if I change colours unfortunately my Porsche GT3 is built up as a Datsun Z and my Mars model is using most of my Light Grey liftarms. So that may restrict some colour choices.

is there a time limit for this ?

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

I might join in this fun as I think I may have a bit of time before October when I’m on holiday and then away at a conference.

I’ll have to build the original first (which I have) to get a good look over the model. As to if I change colours unfortunately my Porsche GT3 is built up as a Datsun Z and my Mars model is using most of my Light Grey liftarms. So that may restrict some colour choices.

is there a time limit for this ?

Contest for fun. How much time we need ? Do we need WIP themes?

Turns out I never had 8081 but thankfully I think I have all the parts, the only challenge was the old style technic bricks. Going to build the original first and then work out how I want to modify it 

I don't know if it filts already here, but I habe rebuilt rear axle

Needed to move hoh steering mechanism littlebit up

800x600.jpg

800x479.jpg

And then rear axle itself

800x1051.jpg

800x1067.jpg

8 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Turns out I never had 8081 but thankfully I think I have all the parts, the only challenge was the old style technic bricks. Going to build the original first and then work out how I want to modify it 

I you can change front suspenison and steering right form the start, because old suspension parts are rare and expesive now.

Im join you guys, too. Almost finished mine, altough with modern suspension pieces and wheels borrowed from 42077. And now i understand why @Thirdwigg and @rm8 had such fun with it. It was an abosolute blast to build it and find workaround for front axle.

Right now i cant decide, if i should leave live axle in the rear or borrow @Thirdwigg's semi-independent suspension with floating diff...

Guys, dont forget - detalisation. Remember last Technic sets - many LEGO System parts for decoration and detalisation.

I few more ideas to share..  I have two versions of the chassis with full Ackerman steering and Ackerman compliant chassis ..   A motorized and a non -motorized .. both chassis haves the same functions like AWD, a new swing arm suspension design (rear on motorized) on a unibody hybrid chassis with a floor in the cabin (no holes), doors-hoods-tailgate open and close (rear window open on truck version), the chassis can seat up to 5 people , luggage racks on top and a fake mini-V-8 !!  the motorized will use 2 x large PF motors and a receiver/battery pack.. the non-motorized is all new unibody chassis with a two speed transmission (wip) and a new design with the swing arm suspension connected to frame that allows a limited twist to the diffs..   please see picture.  

what style of body should I use..??  The pickup style,

Lego Technic 8081 mods

The suv??

Lego Technic 8081 mods

or the fastback??

Lego Technic 8081 mods

and the Ackerman complaint chassis with a new swingarm suspension design !!

Lego Technic 8081 mods