Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

Gordon Gorilla's pick-up truck

builders_guild.gif indexed.gif

I have a plan for another building but am waiting for a BL order to come in. So, in the meantime, I thought I'd keep the momentum going by building a quick little truck. Four hours was not what I imagined as quick. I should stick to buildings as I think it's my strong suit. Thanks to imperialshadows for the MOC creative block therapy and advice.

Gordon Gorilla's pick-up truck

gordon_01.jpg

down.jpggordon_03.jpggordon_04.jpg

See full gallery here

Feedback would be greatly appreciated on this one as I would really like to improve my vehicle building skills. Thanks :classic: I'm particularly interested to see if people like the mudguards. When I first tried that technique, it was just the base and I'm not sure I liked it. I think I do now, but it could be that they just grew on me...

Excellent!

I like the design :grin:

Another cute FBG creation :wub:

This is great. The proportions to me seem perfect for Fabuland. Really like the roofline. If by mudguards you mean the fenders, I think they work really well. The wheels also look nice, and the front bumper part is perfect. I don't care for the horn, but it does go with the theme. As far as the wood paneling...is that dark tan? Love that part. Not sure if you tried it, but maybe add a 1x4 tile to the tailgate for paneling as well? I don't know if it would improve it, but it might give the bed a more distinguished look. All around solid work here.

Edited by zachmoe

Wow, that's a serious transition from the WIP, and bingo, you hit the winning combination! The mudguards really did the trick, along with the extended bed, door adjustment and more sloped hood. Plus, there is something particularly Fabulandifierous about having the front of truck look like a face. Yep, all around win this time. :thumbup:

Tell me, what are the hat options for Fabuland? For some reason, Gordon looks like he should be wearing one.

As usual Hinckley you come up with the goods.

Great car, love the front and the horn is a nice touch too. Like the use of the sand?? coloured piece to signify wood too.

Great job. :classic:

Nice red-looking truck. It looks really very cool. I like the horns and the shiny lights that you added. It really brighten it up! :classic:

A beautiful truck with a neat bumper and that fine Fabuland car roof fits in very nicely. :thumbup:

I also like how you managed to incorporate the more sinister aspects of these oh-so-innocent looking Fabuland citizens

into that MOC as well.... it´ll for sure not be so easy to note all the blood on front of that car.... :tongue:

Camouflage on! :sweet:

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback and bloody bumper On! :laugh:

zachmoe, thanks for the advice. I love the idea of having the paneling wrap around. Too bad LEGO hasn't wised up yet to the fact that dark tan is the coolest color ever and every brick should be available in that color, particularly the 1 x 4 tile. And imperialshadows, the hat options are low in Fabuland, especially for monkeys, so I gave him a WW hat to see what you thought. I didn't adhere it, I just balanced it. I think if I used some sculpey it would look better because I could cock it to one side.

Here's the result of the advice from the two of you:

gordon_07.jpg

I also wanted to post the first version of this that I showed to imperialshadows and said "What's wrong with it?" and he helped me find the flaws which really helped me build the final version:

preliminary.jpggordon_01.jpg

And imperialshadows, the hat options are low in Fabuland, especially for monkeys, so I gave him a WW hat to see what you thought. I didn't adhere it, I just balanced it. I think if I used some sculpey it would look better because I could cock it to one side.

Monkey = cute. Monkey + hat = adorable. It's just true. :sweet:

I also wanted to post the first version of this

Now there is some good inspiration for aspiring builders. Clearly, the first one isn't terrible, I think LEGO would have been lucky to produce it, maybe during the Mickey Mouse version of the line. Many of us would settle for that, but look what happens when you keep plugging at it, you get the final result that is 10 times better. :thumbup:

I hate to admit it, but I can really see the appeal of Fabuland. This little vehicle looks awesome. What a neat fusion of Fabuland and modern detailing. Nice job Hinck.

Hi!

Amazing :thumbup:

The truck qualifies as full Fabuland character (female, btw), having those eyes & full lips.

This is truly fantastic, Hinckley! I must say, it's a vast improvement on your first one. :sweet: The brick built base and sides make it all the more better in my opinion, yet the Fabuland hood gives it a great look, that wonderful Fabuland feel. I think the mudguards look really great in this MOC, and the addition of doors is a major bonus, plus ten points. :laugh: The back looks much better extended out like that, all the tools are awesome and the horn is a nice touch, along with the chrome headlights. The inclusion of the blue bucket with an ice-cube tray is a neat bonus. :laugh:

In conclusion this is a great work (I forgot to compliment the colour scheme, it really is fantastic!), and I really like all of your vehicles. I look forward to seeing more!

~Peace

I'm not a massive fan of Fabuland, so I don't normally comment, but I think most builders could learn a thing or two here about iterations. If you showed me the first version by itself, I'd have said "It's ok" - but the final version is a huge improvement. It shows how a MOC can be made better through spending more time on it. Almost every time when I build something for the first time I am not quite happy with it and it takes a few attempts to get it right.

A very tidy piece of work. I like the black trim at the wheel area the best. Well done mate.

:thumbup: