VBBN

[PRESS RELEASE] 75252 Imperial Star Destroyer

4 hours ago, Gremer2 said:

There's no "mistake". The new canon has repeatedly shown Star Destroyers in atmosphere, the movies never say anything one way or another, and the only thing that ever said they can't operate in atmosphere was the old Legends canon, which didn't even keep its own rule.

Back to the model, one thing I really do like that I saw in the BrickVault review is the ability to turn it into an Imp-2 by turning the sensor array (?) back. I'll probably keep it as a 1 but I think it's a pretty cool little thing.

That is actually an incorrect "feature" of the UCS set. If you wanted to change it to the ISD MKII you need to change the turret designs (to quad turrets) and do a couple of adjustments on the bridge and superstructure details. Super nitpicky I know. From the designer video, I think he didn't know there were two versions of the ISD and got confused when he looked at a model from episode V or VI. 

@Evergreen Did the film crew know when they were shooting the movies? I get the impression that all of these 'facts' are fan made anyway :D I am nitpicky too but sometimes one has to admit that even the holy source material is inconsistent.

9 hours ago, lowlead said:

Imagine a 75252 hovering over a giant Jedha City MOC??  That needs to be a thing!

Had the same thought some days ago. onecase to the rescue! :laugh:

Edited by m4st3rt3ch

10 hours ago, Evergreen said:

That is actually an incorrect "feature" of the UCS set. If you wanted to change it to the ISD MKII you need to change the turret designs (to quad turrets) and do a couple of adjustments on the bridge and superstructure details. Super nitpicky I know. From the designer video, I think he didn't know there were two versions of the ISD and got confused when he looked at a model from episode V or VI. 

That's true. I didn't know about the superstructure, but I knew the guns were different. I don't know if quad turbolasers could be done at this scale. For me though, the most notable difference is just the sensor array and everything is fairly minor.

11 hours ago, Evergreen said:

Heh, I'm pretty sure he knew. Eps. V and VI also kept using the Devastator model in some scenes with a replaced sensor array to make it more similar to the ISD II. So @Kristof the source material definitely is inconsistent lol. When the first transport escapes from Hoth, we can see an ISD (supposedly the Tyrant in fact) change from an ISD I to an ISD II mid-scene. @Gremer2 notice in the early shots, the main engines have 3 flaps, and the greebling on the superstructure (i.e., the terraces) is very large and mechanical. The superstructure on the ISD II has denser greebling with lots of little windows. I've stared at Star Destroyers too long...

Shame the designer didn’t use the Prince of Persia 3 bladed hand weapon piece for the triple barrelled forward facing turrets - you couldn’t ask for a much more accurate piece!

13 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Heh, I'm pretty sure he knew. Eps. V and VI also kept using the Devastator model in some scenes with a replaced sensor array to make it more similar to the ISD II. So @Kristof the source material definitely is inconsistent lol. When the first transport escapes from Hoth, we can see an ISD (supposedly the Tyrant in fact) change from an ISD I to an ISD II mid-scene. @Gremer2 notice in the early shots, the main engines have 3 flaps, and the greebling on the superstructure (i.e., the terraces) is very large and mechanical. The superstructure on the ISD II has denser greebling with lots of little windows. I've stared at Star Destroyers too long...

Ah, I see. Never noticed that haha and you and @Kristofare definitely right about the inconsistency within the films. I thought they replaced the ISD model completely when filming V & VI. Still think the "feature" of raising and lowering the sensor array to be silly though. 

Idk if someone already asked this, but does anyone know if there are new parts with this set? The designer has said he used as many pre-existing parts to build this, but not sure if all of it was made from old pieces. 

Edited by Evergreen
Added question

On 9/6/2019 at 8:10 AM, Bartybum said:

While I'm loving how this set looks, if there's anything to be complaining about it's the price, which is a direct result of TLC deciding to make a 1.1m long model - it's just unnecessarily WAY too big to be affordable by the majority.

With exception to the Falcon, UCS ships shouldn't be longer than 80cm; any more just isn't affordable. I wanna dabble in UCS one day, but I'm not interested in forking out a thousand dollars for some grey plates.

If they ever decide to do a UCS Venator, it's gotta be in an affordable size.

D I S A G R E E ! The bigger the better....

The lack of interior is actually a massive faux-pas I believe - yeah it's a large display piece but you want to know there is life inside it! That's why the MF is so cool...

And with any kind of "display" item, there are times when you get up, go and have a look at it, pick it up, have a little play... with this model, they could have had a top section that lifts off with a cool interior full of relevant figures, doing relevant things, in relevant settings!

Would really have made it more special - it's been 10 years or so since the last one.. and it's just an empty shell? Great outer shell but it needs more! More creativity! More weight! More pieces!

And put some LEDs in them, ffs.......

39 minutes ago, Malthus101 said:

it's a large display piece but you want to know there is life inside it!

On such a ship, I don't want to know what is inside. Not at all.
Had enough with 10221. What a nightmare.

2 hours ago, Malthus101 said:

D I S A G R E E ! The bigger the better....

Does that not become cumbersome at some point - when you're spending so much money and space on a single model that you can no longer afford or find the space to display any more?

Having seen this in person now, I am really torn. I like the idea of it better than the actual model. Once you get over it being ‘big’, it’s hard to justify. I don’t love it the way I do the MF (no regrets buying that!) and I can’t spend that kind of cash on something I don’t love.

It would cost a fortune to MOD. 

Wish someone would do an ISD MOC in a Monarch style but 50% smaller. 

I think I’m going to redirect those funds to make Starbricks Bomber this year instead. 

21 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Does that not become cumbersome at some point - when you're spending so much money and space on a single model that you can no longer afford or find the space to display any more?

Yeah I guess it could - but for a ship this big (movie scale) it's cool to have it be BIG in Lego scale! The trick I suppose... is just to live in a huge house! :P

So they did the MF again.. they've done the ISD... I really hope they don't re-do the Executor again... it was pretty boring.

I want an AT-AT. And I want a really oversized X-Wing, like double figure scale or something. An X-Wing with 4000+ pieces too... awesome. And some Tie fighter variants...

11 minutes ago, Rune Haako said:

I can't get the order page to work on Lego Shop.

Same here! The only links that don't work are for the star destroyer, whether I try from a wish list, the VIP link, or from any other location. Anything else can be added to the cart, hopefully that means its in the process of showing up!?

The Star Destroyer page is down around the world, even Australia, where it's already available. I checked with region settings.

7 minutes ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

Page back up here too, however "add to bag" is not! Still too early for me

How is the LEGO shop site always broken? I’m astonished, this feels like something we discuss every release - going back 10 years. I hope the brand ambassadors are feeding this stuff back to LEGO. 2019 and they can’t get their site to work...

It's waitlisted in our part of the world... Was going to discuss it with the mrs because it was a long wait and big parcel for shipping when the Falcon was shipped. I'm possibly inclined to wait for this one to hit the shops..

lol! Page not found again! With my luck, I wont get it, Double VIP will expire, and my VIP online points I cashed in will expire, and then I will be on the phone arguing to get them back!