VBBN

[PRESS RELEASE] 75252 Imperial Star Destroyer

59 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

As in a set with a $1000 price tag? The UCS Falcon already broke that, and this one is $1100. 

I think Toastie's talking about $1k USD, not AUD

13 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I think Toastie's talking about $1k USD, not AUD

I don't think its fair to dismiss countries outside of the US when it comes to stuff like this. As far as I'm concerned the first set with a $1k price tag was 10179 because of its NZ RRP

19 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I don't think its fair to dismiss countries outside of the US when it comes to stuff like this.

Of course not!

I actually am quite far outside the US:wink: - and much more so close to Denmark, where they pay about 6999,99 DKK for the UCS MF. (I like the ,99 very much, as it is NOT 7000!). So they have broken the 1k sound barrier waaayyy earlier already. The sonic boom was surely not as loud though.

I believe for such an "international" price tag comparison, the exchange rate should be at least looked at. I know that the average income, costs for living etc. etc. have to be regarded as well of course. As of toady the exchange rate Euro <-> NZD is about 1:1.7. And according to this site the cost of living as well as other related numbers in New Zealand as compared to Germany are not >that< far off. So the NZ 1k sonic boom was surely louder than in Denmark. But wait for the one in Kuwait: 1 Kuwait Dinar clocks in at about 2.6 USD or 4.4 NZD!!! When they go above 1 k KWD it will be really loud ...

All meant to be a joke though - I like these things ...

Have fun, don't really think about it - and all the best,
Thorsten

Ha.. The Falcon is $1500 in NZ... what will crack the $2K barrier here I wonder?.... :laugh:

I seriously can't see it happening.. 10,000 piece set minimum I imagine.. Super Star Destroyer with internal detailing?

I'm not very worried about more large, expensive UCS models. They could do a new SSD in 6-9 years. But what's left for displaying at that size? We already got a new Tantive IV, so that's out. A MonCal cruiser? Nebulon B? Those from LEGO? Nah. Maybe an update to the Death Star. Can't see a UCS Venator. A new AT-AT or Sandcrawler would have to be an absolute monster to justify $500 up. Can't think of any existing ship/vehicle design except SSD or DS to excel the $500 in the near future. They'd have to come up with something completely new, but then they'd be limited to SD designs again.

6 hours ago, Schneeds said:

They're pretty close to the same size, so it's not as if the new one has tons of extra huge pieces. 

But the new one does have a ton of extra huge pieces... The "skin" on 10030 was one layer of wedge plates, with 2xN plates above and below to hold them together, but the 2xN plates are not movie accurate.  Now there are two layers of wedge plates, and a layer of 2xN plates on the inside only.  You can see it on the designer video. So that extra layer of wedge plates, it's like having the skin of 10030 times two.

People complaining about interiors and minifigs. This is a UCS  set and its made for one thing Display! Price wise 100 dollars less would have been better but  there's alot of plates and hard to find pieces that have come back.Overall I love the build just wish snot would have been used more.Its a great model from lego and I look forward to getting it .

9 hours ago, Schneeds said:

It's definitely an aesthetic improvement over the old 10030 and it looks fantastic, but lets do some comparing here:

10030 - 2002 Release, 3096 pieces, $298 retail.  9.6 cents pp

75252 - 2019 Release, 4784, $699 retail.  14.6 cents pp. 

They're pretty close to the same size, so it's not as if the new one has tons of extra huge pieces.  I just don't see the justification for such a huge increase in price.  The falcon got you a legitimately nice interior and a slew of minifigs; it's the holy grail of Star Wars.  If you're going to shell out that kind of money, I think taking a look at Onecase's Monarch is worth your consideration. 

But again, a very nice set and I'm happy for those who are excited to get it.

You forgot the inflation!

inflwwk4r.jpg

Based on this inflation calculation the same parts (3096) would cost 13,75 cents pp furthermore 75252 has more than 50% more parts.

Price is fair, you´re welcome.

It's a pretty good set out of the box, but I do wish they'd gone ahead and given it the extra one or two thousand small parts for more detail and some interior and just priced it at $800 like the Millennium Falcon.  That way there wouldn't be this controversy about it being the second most expensive set without having the second highest parts count, especially since in many countries it already does cost as much as the Falcon.  The interior is so empty that it'll probably be simplicity itself to add minifig rooms, so it's a good start point for modding, and that shouldn't be overlooked.  Many sets aren't easily modded.  Guess this makes this Shiptember a lot easier for anyone who was thinking of building a Star Destroyer this month.

I like the stand coming with it. With a bit of tinkering and reinforcement it should be possible to mount the SD at an angle for better presentation. Or saving space.

1 hour ago, Midlife-crisis said:

Based on this inflation calculation the same parts (3096) would cost 13,75 cents pp furthermore 75252 has more than 50% more parts.

Price is fair, you´re welcome.

I have a hard time with the inflation argument.  Lego has made so many cost-cutting initiatives since 2002.  How many jobs were sent to overseas factories that have cheaper labor (2006: 44% of Enfield, CT and 75% of Denmark headquarters. New jobs in Mexico)?  What about the diminishing quality of Lego products?   Surely these must be a factor in keeping the prices low too.  

4 hours ago, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

There was Speedbuild linked into the Discussion topic, so I'll add it here:

And there is also a review just posted today:

There is a ton of wobble there.

I also collect MCU themed Hot Toys. A standard figure (not Iron Man because they are in a different price category) has gone up $30-40US in the last four years I've been collecting on average. Years before I started collecting they were sub 200. It's not unusual for a standard figure now to price between 250 and 270.

Just now, m4st3rt3ch said:

75244 Tantive IV75159 Death Star and 75192 Millennium Falcon retiring december 2020.

75222 Betrayal at Cloud City retiring december 2019. Yes, 2019.

Any bets on a new DS in 2021?

Woah, those are some short runs (except for the Death Star). I already have 75192, but it'll still be a shame to no longer see the massive box in Stores.

Oh no... oh no no no no noooooooo!

I mean I knew it was coming, but I'm just not ready to have that discussion with my bank manager

4 hours ago, Evergreen said:

Dang, I thought the MF would last like the Death Star. The chance for me getting it has now increased... 

You still got 15 months. If you are able to save $50-60 a month and wait for discount sales...that's my approach to the ISD.

On 9/7/2019 at 8:10 PM, m4st3rt3ch said:

I'm not very worried about more large, expensive UCS models. They could do a new SSD in 6-9 years. But what's left for displaying at that size? We already got a new Tantive IV, so that's out. A MonCal cruiser? Nebulon B? Those from LEGO? Nah. Maybe an update to the Death Star. Can't see a UCS Venator. A new AT-AT or Sandcrawler would have to be an absolute monster to justify $500 up. Can't think of any existing ship/vehicle design except SSD or DS to excel the $500 in the near future. They'd have to come up with something completely new, but then they'd be limited to SD designs again.

Remake of the Death Star 2 would be the one I reckon. With interior parts as well of course just to jack up the price

44 minutes ago, Anio said:

Source ?

I thought it was official LEGO, but later saw it probably originated from rebelscum. Still sounds plausible.