Brick-Wombat

[MOC] Dreadnaught Class Heavy Cruiser

The Dreadnaught Class Heavy Cruiser is a Star Wars warship well known from the lost Katana Fleet of the Thrawn Trilogy. At 600 meters, it was roughly half the length of a Venator and could be configured with varying combinations of turbolasers, point defense cannons, and missiles. Most of these would be located in the hull "blisters" similar to Mon Calamari ships. 

I was recently acquainted with the  cruiser as I'm reading through the Thrawn Trilogy (Half way through the second book at the moment). Not the most sophisticated-looking ship, but a fun one to design nonetheless. 

As usual, it's designed to 1:2600 scale. 

LEGO Dreadnaught Class Heavy Cruiser MOC

LEGO Dreadnaught Class Heavy Cruiser MOC

Some additional views in the spoiler below...

Spoiler
LEGO Dreadnaught Class Heavy Cruiser MOCLEGO Dreadnaught Class Heavy Cruiser MOCLEGO Dreadnaught Class Heavy Cruiser MOCLEGO Dreadnaught Class Heavy Cruiser MOCLEGO Dreadnaught Class Heavy Cruiser MOC

Edited by K_W

Finally got around to making this. All in all, I'm happy with the aesthetic. It's also much more robust than I expected. The 16x hinge bricks used for the side panels and weapon blisters have enough friction such that you can easily hold the ship by the center fuselage. 

[MOC] Dreadnaught Class Heavy Cruiser Build[MOC] Dreadnaught Class Heavy Cruiser Build

[MOC] Dreadnaught w/ Venator

Holy cow dude, that is amazing.  The only thing it's missing is the windows for the bridge! Stellar job on shaping, it looks perfect.  The engines and weapon emplacement blisters are spot-on as well. Great Greebling as well, how many parts did you use? Is your Venator also at the same scale?

I saw on your Flickr that you're not a fan of stickers, but there are printed Open Circle Fleet emblems as well! Part 4150px33, took me a while to find it.

Edited by DrMuttonchops
Added OCF part

Being brutally honest here: at first I was far from impressed. "Just some microscale cruiser, duh" ... man, first impressions can fool ya!

Seeing the model next to other microbuilds really puts it into perspective. Great work overall! :thumbup:

@DrMuttonchops Thanks. The piece count is around 300. The stud.io model and the brick version have some small variations internally for the sake of added rigidity, so I'm not 100% sure of the final number. As for the blisters, I saw a handful of Dreadnaught versions that either used 2x2 round tiles or 2x2 dishes. I didn't like the flatness of the tile method and I didn't like the random stud on the dish version. Luckily, combining part 15535 and 2654 (below) saved the day! 

15535.png

2654.png

The Venator is Kristof's design, and it was the inspiration for all my mini/midi ships. They're all at ~1:2600 scale.

@Darnok Honestly, I don't blame you. Frankly, the Dreadnaught is a pretty uninspiring design. It doesn't have the elegance of  the Venator or Arquitens, nor the uniqueness of something like the Nebulon B. It's also not a very well known ship. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Upon reading about it in the Thrawn Trilogy, something about it got me hooked and I was compelled to create my own version. Regardless, it's not going to win any beauty pageants! 

Edited by Brick-Wombat

Very nice little built rendering justice to a not-so-well-known Star Wars ship. 

Nice fleet that you are building there.

Big fan of your work here! Super cool design with this one. And as a 'once-in-a-blue-moon-completes-a-moc' type of guy I am continuously impressed with your steady pace in expanding the fleet.

1 hour ago, Kristof said:

Big fan of your work here! Super cool design with this one. And as a 'once-in-a-blue-moon-completes-a-moc' type of guy I am continuously impressed with your steady pace in expanding the fleet.

Your designs are like a fine wine. Takes time, but well worth the wait. I still remember when you first posted your Venator as an IDEAS submission. Yes, it's been a long time since then, but I'd rather a quality design than something that was rushed... which, admittedly, mine tend to be the latter.