Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

Prelude: The Spring of Hope

Recommended Posts

Prelude: The Spring of Hope

 

Life in Avalonia had seldom been better. Even the old-timers, grey of pate and dim of eye, could not recall a time of greater flourishing. The scars of the wars were healing and fading, the fields were producing better than ever, and gold was flowing freely from Cedrica to Albion and down the rivers to the isles. The trade routes to Varlyrio had enriched almost every coastal lord, and by extension, the coastal cities. Inland, the towns were seeing a greater demand for their goods and better returns on their investments. Merchants were selling new and exotic wares from the far west, and even from the south new goods were arriving as the cities of Kaliphlin began to recover some semblance of order. Deep in the forests, the bandits who made a living off of the rich were themselves becoming rich, and had no lack of food. Their fortresses and lairs were better than ever, rebuilt after the devastation of the Drow, repopulated after the plague. And if life was good for the bandits in the forest, it was even better in the cities and towns. 

32667901878_fb1b12d774_c.jpg

Everywhere there were festivals and banquets, often given in honor of Queen Ylspeth, the most blessed woman in all the lands. The number of girls named Ylspeth, Elspeth, Elisabeth, or some other variant had exploded, as had the population in general. Everywhere there were new mouths to feed, but at the same time there was enough food to feed them all, and then much left over to sell to the Mitgardians and Varlyrians at a hefty profit. The generosity of the queen was toasted at each table, and the new king, the old de Gothia, was much beloved and much praised. "Long live the Queen! Long live the King! Long may the Dragon fly!" was heard echoing through the lanes and byways. 

46455583242_9fa25181cf_c.jpg

But in the halls of lords, their were rumors of troubles ahead; not from within the guild, but from without. Mitgardia was restless, it was said. Varlyrio was quiet on the surface, but there were rumblings of new alliances that did not bode well for the stability of the island. Merchants brought word that Kaliphlin was still trying to figure out what was happening with the Desert King's rule. And Nocturnus was far too much of a mess for anyone to even begin to discuss. The added gold was being spent building defenses and training new armies, getting ready for any eventuality. What would the armies be needed for? No one quite knew, but the leaders of the guild knew that they would side with Queen Ylspeth if any threat to her young reign should arise. 

 

More pictures of the forestmen hideout can be found on Brickbuilt.

More pictures of the picnic here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The use of ordinary blue gives these MOCs a great old-fashioned vibe, as do the other large pre-fab pieces like the tree and wall!  Really good job with the leaf canopy over the tree house and in both builds the flex tube trees work well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this it brings an classic castle feel to it.  The use of the blue plates is a nice throwback.  Nice to see all those forestmen figs too.  The landscaping has a nice mixture of plants.  The tree is very nice, I like the way you made the trunk large.  Nice story to go with the build too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed that these evoke fond memories of the castle sets of our (collective) youths, they all look great.

I like the way the story is developing - some guilds have benefitted greatly from the queen and some have suffered and blame her for their woes. It'd be nice for the next challenge to have a slightly more martial theme!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see your CCC builds finally make it here to GoH!  Very nice builds, as usual.  I like the greenery and forest themes to each.  Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 7:22 PM, Kai NRG said:

The use of ordinary blue gives these MOCs a great old-fashioned vibe, as do the other large pre-fab pieces like the tree and wall!  Really good job with the leaf canopy over the tree house and in both builds the flex tube trees work well!

Yeah blue is very fun color to incorporate for more classic settings. Thanks Kai!

On 9/3/2019 at 10:27 PM, Eoin Wallace said:

Two great builds and stories! I can't wait for challenge V:excited:

Thank you Eoin :classic:

On 9/3/2019 at 10:48 PM, zoth33 said:

I really like this it brings an classic castle feel to it.  The use of the blue plates is a nice throwback.  Nice to see all those forestmen figs too.  The landscaping has a nice mixture of plants.  The tree is very nice, I like the way you made the trunk large.  Nice story to go with the build too.  

Thanks, it's fun seeing what plant elements combine well in different landscapes.

On 9/4/2019 at 3:38 AM, Basiliscus said:

Agreed that these evoke fond memories of the castle sets of our (collective) youths, they all look great.

I like the way the story is developing - some guilds have benefitted greatly from the queen and some have suffered and blame her for their woes. It'd be nice for the next challenge to have a slightly more martial theme!

Thank you Basiliscus, glad the classic style was conveyed clearly :thumbup:

On 9/9/2019 at 12:48 AM, Grover said:

Glad to see your CCC builds finally make it here to GoH!  Very nice builds, as usual.  I like the greenery and forest themes to each.  Well done!

Thanks Grover!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.