soccerkid6

Prelude: The Winter of Despair

Prelude: The Winter of Despair

All across Mitgardia, rumors and rumbles were rising and bubbling. In the far north, the weather was beginning to turn cold, but hearts everywhere across the guild were becoming cold towards Queen Ylspeth in Cedrica. Many said she was deliberately weakening the northern guild in favor of their southwestern neighbor, lining the coffers of the treehuggers, building up their walls, nourishing their fields, while at the same time turning an icy eye towards the struggling farmers of the mountain valleys. Lords were plotting rebellion against the leadership in Valholl, vassals against yarls, friend against neighbor. Many an old alliance was being cast aside as the new political climate became clear: it was every Mitgardian for himself. 

The Dwarves in particular were feeling slighted and overlooked. Humans in charge of everything was beginning to get old, since humans only ever thought of themselves. "How can she claim to be the queen of all Historica, when she does not even begin to understand the many races in the realm?" they were saying. "We need to cast of the shackles that the humans have placed on us and be independent once again. Perhaps the Drow - may they be eternally cursed - have had it right all these years, fighting against the Kingdom of Historica and acknowledging no overlords." And so, in deeply delved tunnels and hewn halls armies were forming. Bands of Dwarves, even independent of any king, gathered to perfect axe throwing and other ancient arts used against taller races in war; for they would soon be needed again. Rumbles in the deep were felt throughout the land as the engines of war began to churn once more. 

46281351112_fe4abdd0e4_c.jpg

But in the mountain passes, once the lifeblood of the trade routes into the southern markets, brigands were also gathering. The inability of anyone to drive them out or keep the merchants safe only furthered the discontent against the crown. "How can she claim to be the queen of all Historica, when she does not even bother to protect the Queen's Roads or protect us from highwaymen?" the people were saying. "It is because she is young and weak, and a woman. We need a strong man, a true warrior, on the throne to drive away the bandits and restore trade, and through trade bring prosperity back to us common folk. Mitgardia needs to be great again." There were even talks of an independent Kingdom of Mitgardia, rather than just a guild, with a king who understood the needs of the northern people. 

31421396867_ee9a858bc6_c.jpg

And so, from the deeps to the heights, all of Mitgardia was astir. Something was about to change. Something had to happen. Things could not remain as they were in this winter of despair. 

More images of the dwarven scene available here.

More images of the bandit hideout here.

Great story.  The build with the dwarves throwing the axes is cool.  I like the wall with the axes on it.  The floor looks great too.  The second build with the snow looks very nice.  The snow looks very good, I like how it overlaps the rockwork.  The waterfall is a nice touch, looks icy cold too.  

A very inspiring prelude, I'm really curious to see what the challenge will be. The bandit hideout sets the tone perfectly for a rugged and unbalanced Mitgardia. Love the snowy landscape! :thumbup:

Great prelude! Hard times seem to be coming for Mitgardia...I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Great idea to use corner tiles for the flooring in the first build!  The gaps give it quite a nice texture.  The sideways diamonds help with the dwarven look and the axes stuck in the hay are a really nice touch!  

Lots of details to point out in the second one too - angled palisade, the snow on top of the tent, and the icicle horns to pick out a few!

I absolutely love the masonry within that dwarf hall. The bandit hideout is also excellent, especially with the snow details and "fence". Great work all around!

I love both of these MOCs, but I also really love how you’ve incorporated them into the current story several years after they were built!

Nice prelude! It certainly puts me in the mood. 

Tensions are rising, and we must cope with our despair.

By building.

Awesome use of the long-past builds, you’ve made, Isaac. Even though I’ve seen them before, they never cease to amaze me.

Can’t wait for the next Challenge. Cheers!

Great work!  I particularly like the last build, with the upside down ice cream cones for the palisade logs, and the fantastic blending of tree and snow up top.  The slope and angles to the snow on the top look amazing.  Great job!

On 9/3/2019 at 10:31 PM, Eoin Wallace said:

The Bandit hideout is one of my favorites i've seen and great story again:dhappy: Keep it up!

Thanks so much Eoin!

On 9/3/2019 at 10:38 PM, zoth33 said:

Great story.  The build with the dwarves throwing the axes is cool.  I like the wall with the axes on it.  The floor looks great too.  The second build with the snow looks very nice.  The snow looks very good, I like how it overlaps the rockwork.  The waterfall is a nice touch, looks icy cold too.  

Thank you, I had fun working with the newer wedge tiles in the Dwarven build :dsweet:

On 9/4/2019 at 1:43 AM, Etzel said:

A very inspiring prelude, I'm really curious to see what the challenge will be. The bandit hideout sets the tone perfectly for a rugged and unbalanced Mitgardia. Love the snowy landscape! :thumbup:

Thanks Etzel :sweet:
I had a lot of fun with the bandit scene's landscape, so it's great to hear you like it!

On 9/4/2019 at 3:18 AM, Aurore said:

Great prelude! Hard times seem to be coming for Mitgardia...I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Thank you Aurore, hopefully Mitgardia will stand united through these difficult times.

On 9/4/2019 at 3:33 AM, Basiliscus said:

Excellent MOCs @soccerkid6, both are really full of nice techniques.

I like the story too, I've been out of things for a while but presumably this is for challenge 4?

Thanks Basiliscus, and yes these were Challenge 4 preludes. Probably should have stated that in the topic itself :blush:

On 9/4/2019 at 2:00 PM, Kai NRG said:

Great idea to use corner tiles for the flooring in the first build!  The gaps give it quite a nice texture.  The sideways diamonds help with the dwarven look and the axes stuck in the hay are a really nice touch!  

Lots of details to point out in the second one too - angled palisade, the snow on top of the tent, and the icicle horns to pick out a few!

Thanks Kai, good to know you noticed the snow on the tent. Seemed like there would have to be some there with as much snow as the rest of the scene has. And it gave a nice convincing dip in the tent fabric too!

On 9/4/2019 at 2:47 PM, dalle said:

The snowy landscape are really great! It feels like the snow we have up north. 

Thank you, good to know it's accurate to real northern settings :thumbup:

On 9/5/2019 at 12:50 AM, socalbricks said:

I absolutely love the masonry within that dwarf hall. The bandit hideout is also excellent, especially with the snow details and "fence". Great work all around!

Thanks!

On 9/6/2019 at 11:39 AM, The Stad said:

I love both of these MOCs, but I also really love how you’ve incorporated them into the current story several years after they were built!

Well a bit under a year actually :laugh: And @Henjin_Quilones handled the story writing for these two.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:14 PM, Louis of Nutwood said:

Nice prelude! It certainly puts me in the mood. 

Tensions are rising, and we must cope with our despair.

By building.

Awesome use of the long-past builds, you’ve made, Isaac. Even though I’ve seen them before, they never cease to amaze me.

Can’t wait for the next Challenge. Cheers!

Thanks Louis!

On 9/9/2019 at 12:50 AM, Grover said:

Great work!  I particularly like the last build, with the upside down ice cream cones for the palisade logs, and the fantastic blending of tree and snow up top.  The slope and angles to the snow on the top look amazing.  Great job!

Many thanks Grover :sweet: