The Stad

AoM Archery Phase 1: Surviving the Winter

Previously:

A New Post at Gammeltårn

Party Supplies

Perils Old and New

In the weeks following the Rigr's visit, supplies arriving at Gammeltårn had slowed from a steady trickle to essentially nothing.  When it became evident that his garrison was entirely cut off, Makny ordered his men to return to Førstlys and offer no resistance to the Rigr's men on their way.  Several men volunteered to stay and continue with their work, and Makny gladly accepted their company, but as Winter settled upon the Burial Isle foraging became increasingly difficult.

Makny preferred hunting to fishing in the harbor, and each morning would take a short bow into the narrow glens above the city in search of game.  Today he had the good fortune of coming across the tracks of an Avalonian Giant Hare, which he'd followed through the frost-covered brush until he found the creature.  Brought by refugees from Avalonia during the Elemental Crisis, the hares were kept for their flavorful meat and supple pelts. Several years ago, four of the five breeding pairs on the island had been set loose during a violent storm, and now herds of the docile, dog-sized rodents could be found menacing crops around the island.  As he crept towards his quarry, Makny remarked to himself that if such a specimen had spread this far from the farms he would have to redouble the population control efforts upon returning home.  For now though, he was glad for the infestation; he and his men would eat well tonight.

48668587208_36daba9377_c.jpg

Experimenting with some new lighting and background options on this, I'd love to hear what you think of the result!

What a great vignette! I really like the shape of the snowy terrain on the black base : it draws the attention to the story while showing a great amount of detail. Very nice tree too.
And of course, I love the Avalonian Giant Hare and the owl lurking in the tree!

Concerning your lighting experiments, I think the low-angled warm light works very well as the scene takes place in the morning.

Edited by Aurore
+ comment on the lighting

Very nice scene. The lighting is fine. I do eat meat but I still feel sorry for the bunny! #cognitivedissonance

Great little vig, I like the unusual layout and the slanted tree leaves!  Nice inclusion of the owl, blends in really well!

Better shoot that hare before the owl gets it.  This is a nice little scene.  I like the snow and the brown grass.  The tree has some nice sloping branches to it.  The lighting looks good from that angle.  

Great scene with good colour choices and presented on that lovely black base. I think the lighting works well to hide the hunter in the tree foliage. Good job!

Very fun backstory for the friends rabbits :thumbup: I like how you rotated the landscape off the base, and your snowy tree design is great :dsweet:

On 9/3/2019 at 8:09 AM, Eoin Wallace said:

Awesome! I like the Avalonian giant hare :laugh:

Thanks, I thought it’d be a fun way to make use of a part that is otherwise sort of useless!

On 9/3/2019 at 9:19 AM, Aurore said:

What a great vignette! I really like the shape of the snowy terrain on the black base : it draws the attention to the story while showing a great amount of detail. Very nice tree too.
And of course, I love the Avalonian Giant Hare and the owl lurking in the tree!

Concerning your lighting experiments, I think the low-angled warm light works very well as the scene takes place in the morning.

Thank you, the shaping of the landscape to fit on the base was tougher than I expected but I’m pretty happy with the result. And thank you for your feedback on the lighting!

On 9/3/2019 at 10:22 AM, Retro said:

Very nice scene. The lighting is fine. I do eat meat but I still feel sorry for the bunny! #cognitivedissonance

I like to think that wild game is the ultimate in free-range meat, and it got to live a very happy, unwitting life before it abruptly became food.

On 9/3/2019 at 5:19 PM, Kai NRG said:

Great little vig, I like the unusual layout and the slanted tree leaves!  Nice inclusion of the owl, blends in really well!

Thank you, the leaves were a lot of fun to play with, especially when it came to layering the white over the green.

On 9/3/2019 at 8:13 PM, mrcp6d said:

Lighting + color choices = very nice.

:thumbup:

Many thanks!

On 9/3/2019 at 8:53 PM, zoth33 said:

Better shoot that hare before the owl gets it.  This is a nice little scene.  I like the snow and the brown grass.  The tree has some nice sloping branches to it.  The lighting looks good from that angle.  

The owl might have a hard time with such a beast of a rodent! Thank you for your comments.

On 9/4/2019 at 4:38 PM, Ayrlego said:

Great scene with good colour choices and presented on that lovely black base. I think the lighting works well to hide the hunter in the tree foliage. Good job!

Thank you, the use of shadow as camouflage was one of my main intents with the lighting, so I’m glad you noted that in particular!

7 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Very fun backstory for the friends rabbits :thumbup: I like how you rotated the landscape off the base, and your snowy tree design is great :dsweet:

Thank you! I may or may not have several more of those rabbits that will also need dealt with in future story installments...

I must have been brain dead this September to have missed this.  What a great build!  The composition is great, with the two small snowy areas connected by a small line of snow, excellent use of the Friends bunny, and great color choices for winter.  I love the angles you managed to achieve on the tree!  It really looks like the snow is weighing down the branches and bending them toward the ground.  Very nice work!