Sign in to follow this  
DonRamon1981

To all MOC builders with Studio 2.0

...I have a really important question. I made my ship ready to take it to Lego Ideas but one thing is missing, sails and the big Redcoat Flag... even when I import pallet from existing sets, it works but the sails still won't be shown, I mean zero sails not from actual sets that I import and not from pirate sets I import.

How can I get them into that I can't take it there without...

As many of you are using this program, I am using it for a few days now. I appreciate your help. I don't everything like my MOC Renegade Caravel, it's not complicated at all. But serious parts missing make me going crazy... :-(

Edited by DonRamon1981

You didn't really specify there, but parts won't appear either in the parts palette or when you import official sets because the part is not in the Studio 2.0 parts database in the first place. But there is a simple solution, Bricklink, the maker of Studio 2.0 created another software called Parts Designer. 

Parts Designer allows you to import many types of objects such as, .obj, .ldr, and .dat (.dat is the file format for LDraw parts). So with that, you can try browsing the LDRAW parts database online and see if you can find the part you are looking for. If you can find it, download the .dat file, import the file in Parts Designer, and export it to Stud.io 2.0. The part in question would appear in the "Custom Parts" palette.

• If however, you cannot find the part you are looking for in the LDraw parts database, either you can wait for them to add the part (who knows how long that would take), or you can model the part in a 3D modelling software. :cry_sad:
  • Sometimes, LEGO Digital Designer has parts that LDraw does not have. See if you can find it there. Though extracting parts from LDD will have it's own bouts of peril...

I hope this answers your question!

Ok I will start to search for that with the Parts Designer.

I have the program a few days but have my ship already finished, just without the sails. The one I need would be sailbb17 (lego part number), and yep I found already the database and ebery sail parts is missing in the file. I will try that and get back here ;-)

Thank you 

Edited by DonRamon1981

You could always use photoshop / GIMP to fix certain items that are missing in the digital LEGO tools.

I have sails now but doesn't matter how I change the masts or whatever I do, I can not get them fixed on the ship. They are hanging around in the air or somewhere else, but never to the mast... I tried to do everything with every Technic I know from Lego sailing ships, but no chance to get them there... 

On 9/3/2019 at 2:03 PM, DonRamon1981 said:

I have sails now but doesn't matter how I change the masts or whatever I do, I can not get them fixed on the ship. They are hanging around in the air or somewhere else, but never to the mast... I tried to do everything with every Technic I know from Lego sailing ships, but no chance to get them there... 

Great! I'm glad you got the part you needed! As for fixing them on to the model, Studio 2.0 snapping system won't work because (I assume) you have not defined any area in which parts should snap to. There are two ways to solve this problem. 

.1) Open the part in Parts Designer, and there should be a button somewhere that lets you define snap points for the sail. I haven't had much experience with that, but it shouldn't be too hard. 

.2) The easiest method would be to select your part and press "T" on your keyboard while in Studio 2.0. This would activate some arrows which you can then drag around to get the part to your desired location. Though be aware of the "grid distance". If the distance is set to large, you will not be able to get the sail to exactly where you want it. Set the grid to small for precise movements.                           

- As for where to locate the "grid distance" setting (if you didn't know about it yet)...There isn't an obvious button. But in the toolbar at the top, you should see a button that resembles a small grid, click on that and you should see a dropdown menu with the "small", "medium" and "large" settings. 

Hope this helps! 

Good luck with your project!

Edited by ExeSandbox

For me the fastest and easiest solution for missing parts/prints is to find a good picture of that part on the internet, and add it to my render in the Photoshop. The final result can look great - you can tweak perspective, size, hue (and everything else) of the missing part, add shadows if needed, etc. If I use Parts Designer, it would take too much time to achieve that.