I love all these builds - the cover for Dark Side of the Moon is particularly snazzy. Great to see your take on Battersea Power Station from the Animals cover, and I like the colourful sky behind it all. Which album is next? Piper?

On 9/25/2019 at 5:22 PM, Henk61 said:

Again great job you've done here! Beautiful build and a very great album...Fantastic!

Thank you again. Your enthusiasm is keeping me going!

1 hour ago, jimmynick said:

I love all these builds - the cover for Dark Side of the Moon is particularly snazzy. Great to see your take on Battersea Power Station from the Animals cover, and I like the colourful sky behind it all. Which album is next? Piper?

Thanks! Hipgnosis came up with so many iconic images, didn't they? (I know they didn't do ever cover). Originally I didn't plan to do more than just The Division Bell, having briefly tinkered with both it and Animals years ago. But...now that I am on a roll...well...I believe there are eight studio albums left. It depends how my stamina holds out. Next one is started. A man is on fire...

Fantastic! You're vert fast with building! Great work. Did you manage to build these with the help of some software?

2 hours ago, Henk61 said:

Fantastic! You're vert fast with building! Great work. Did you manage to build these with the help of some software?

Hi Henk61, thanks. I have been fortunate that in most cases the first idea I had for how to build a scene has turned out to work quite well. Also my family has been supportive!

I am not using a computer to plan the designs. (I just use an app sometimes to modify the colour afterwards). If you look at the 'behind the scenes' view of Wish You Were Here below, you will see that is it just a matter of deciding how little I can get away with building to fill the photo frame when I come to take the pictures. A bit like building a real film set, I suppose. Anyway, next one coming up...

20190928_134630

Number 9: Obscured By Clouds

Blur16c5f58d-6084-4767-8a3d-be33e3f884cc

I was reminded of several quotes while trying to do this, one of which was from Samuel Johnson, about a dog walking on its hind legs. 'It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all.'

I made two mosaics and experimented with light and blurring as much as possible, both natural and artificial. There are, as before, many shades of this cover available and I am aiming at the more orange-y one.

20190929_194600

20190930_095206

20190930_095632

Blur362aaf65-70c9-41d0-89ca-0dfb0f40a61c

And here are the two mosaics in sharp focus;

20190929_165118

20190930_095805

You have nailed the 'obscured by clouds' album.... never thought that it could be reproduced with lego... again you've done a great job and makes a PF fan happier….:sweet:

@jimmynick

@Henk61

And indeed anyone else;

Number 10: The Piper at The Gates of Dawn

PicsArt_10-05-12.05.07

And without the text...

20191004_233807

Edited by Retro

Fantastic! Very well done!

Question: May I use the first picture for personal use? I want to use this on my Phone...

2 hours ago, Henk61 said:

Fantastic! Very well done!

Question: May I use the first picture for personal use? I want to use this on my Phone...

Yes, you're welcome to use the picture! Obviously I snipped the lettering from a picture of the actual album cover. But I don't suppose that's a copyright issue at this stage... 

I have the next one finished too, I just need daylight to photograph it. We are now heading into 'the long dark tunnel of the winter', as my grandmother used to say, which is not so good for photographing Lego.

Wish You Were Here is of course a beaut... Piper is simple but effective. Nice work to capture the effect on Syd's face on the latter.

Number 11: The Final Cut

All natural photography;

20191006_202742

And with a filter applied afterwards to reduce the glare;

Lumii_20191006_201603462

Sometimes when I am working on these I feel like Pink Floyd when they were working on 'Household Objects'. Putting every effort into making the Lego version as close to the original as possible, without resorting to things like, you know, using actual pigs or poppies or using markers or airbrushes. Anyway, it's all fun.

https://www.instagram.com/retro__chip/

Great job again!!! You're are a true PF-fan! And offcourse a great LEGO-fan!!! You've done a great job! 

Number 12: More

IMG_20191012_130855_925

Eek, this one was difficult. I wanted to use actual minifigures and that made the scale pretty massive. So many bricks! There's no instructions to follow in terms of details and perspective so you just have to make it up. I experimented with adding more details like different coloured rocks and adding sails to the windmill blades but it made it look too fussy. Better to leave it impressionistic.

20191012_132605

Here is the unfiltered version, taken in glorious sunshine...

20191012_161043

20191012_113308

On 10/6/2019 at 12:36 AM, jimmynick said:

Wish You Were Here is of course a beaut... Piper is simple but effective. Nice work to capture the effect on Syd's face on the latter.

Thank you. I really enjoyed the trickery of making Piper.

On 10/7/2019 at 9:21 AM, Henk61 said:

Great job again!!! You're are a true PF-fan! And offcourse a great LEGO-fan!!! You've done a great job! 

I find that most intelligent, decent people like both Pink Floyd and Lego, so in my opinion it is not that radical a combination!

Hi Retro, many thanks for the new Pink Floyd albums you have made with Lego.

I am convinced that you have done truly great a job here! Placing diferent layers of lego builds behind each other to crate a stunning Lego PF album cover!

Does Lego have a walk of fame?... Euh...Yes?, then your name must be placed there too! :sweet:

5 hours ago, Henk61 said:

Hi Retro, many thanks for the new Pink Floyd albums you have made with Lego.

I am convinced that you have done truly great a job here! Placing diferent layers of lego builds behind each other to crate a stunning Lego PF album cover!

Does Lego have a walk of fame?... Euh...Yes?, then your name must be placed there too! :sweet:

Thank you Henk61. It was very interesting - I had to go and research what the other three pictures that you can see in the picture frame should look like, and then photograph the model three times and so on.

1 hour ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

The Wall was the hardest one to recreate, wasn't it? :P

Yes, well spotted. I spent truly ages planning The Wall, including many hours of computer design, and creating a 20m high test model made out of carrara marble in my garden...

1 hour ago, Retro said:

Yes, well spotted. I spent truly ages planning The Wall, including many hours of computer design, and creating a 20m high test model made out of carrara marble in my garden...

Kinda like they did on the live show? 

15 minutes ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

Kinda like they did on the live show? 

Yes, I suppose I had that in mind. (Although I'm joking, obviously. And if the real wall in the stage show had been made of marble I think it would have been a bit dangerous - for example if a brick fell on you.)

Number 14: A Saucerful of Secrets

AddText_10-22-02.09.36

"Set the controls for the heart of the sun..."

Lumii_20191022_115134963

Lumii_20191022_115148803

Lumii_20191022_115253933

54 minutes ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

I could never figure out what Saucerful of Secrets's album cover was supposed to be. 

I have to say, I had never paid a lot of attention to the early Pink Floyd albums or artwork before. But the music is good and the designs are interesting. A bit of research shows that the main background image is a conflict between Doctor Strange and The Living Tribunal. 

q9t0tt351dm21

The other elements I was able to identify and use were the green bottles, the wizard in the garden, the band members in a bowl and the zodiac-like circle thing in the middle.

Fantastic! How you analysed the album! Never thought of that! Fantastic find! And thank you for sharing this with us! Never too old to learn something never from Pink Floyd!

A Saucerful of secrets… you build a fantastic album! Thx!