jonwil

2 Powered Up motors on one train?

I have a train that is rather heavy and at the last train show it was running slowly and draining batteries fast. Is it possible to add a second Powered Up motor (plugged into the other slot on the battery box) and would that be likely to make the train run any better?

I just ordered a second motor from Shop @ Home so hopefully it will make my train run better...

A second motor would probably make the train run faster (but also drain the batteries faster since the actual weight that has to be pulled stays the same).

You can make custom remote control profiles in the powered up app (simply select the one controller layout). The program in the screenshot should do the trick.

eXMlc2H.png

To run it press the start button and then switch to the gamepad "mode".

Edited by Tcm0

Can I use the remote control (I dont have a device that can run the Powered Up app) to run both motors?

I guess I will have to lay some track on the floor of my garage (since its the only space I have that's large enough to run enough track for a proper test) and then see how the second motor affects the speed and pulling power of my train.

34 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Can I use the remote control (I dont have a device that can run the Powered Up app) to run both motors?

I guess I will have to lay some track on the floor of my garage (since its the only space I have that's large enough to run enough track for a proper test) and then see how the second motor affects the speed and pulling power of my train.

You can't run both motors with the remote since the motors don't use the same plug.

You can use a and b with the left and right side of the lego controller however you can not control them both from one button without the app (and a device).

The second motor will help pull power (especially in curves) however as it has a second motor it may draw batteries just the same.  I run lithium energizers and usually can make it through the day or only one change for a long houred show.

If it has more torque (from the second motor) it should be able to perform better (same as how towing a 3000kg payload with a 2000kg-rated tow vehicle will be a lot harder than towing the same payload with a 3000kg-rated tow vehicle because the heavier rating means more torque and motor power)