Sign in to follow this  
hellhax

Motorized trucks and scale

Hi all,

This is my first post of this forum - hello everyone :)  I am looking into getting back to Technic after years (I am over 30 now and the last time I played with Technic was when I was kid and Technic had studs). I would like to build some MOC trucks with various motorized functions (dump truck, flatbed, tow truck, mobile crane and more). Going forward I would like to have them RC'ed with Sbrick at some point. For that, obviously I need to get some Technic sets. I wanted to ask for advice of some experienced builders on what to get. 

I was thinking about getting Mack Anthem + some other set with PF (42066 or 42052 seem to be nice fit in terms of colors and are still available at fairly reasonable price). Anthem, while not motorized, seems to be a nice foundation in terms of parts with nice colors I like. Also, I am more interested in building European style trucks (like 42024 or 42008) rather than American (like Anthem or 9397) but that shouldn't be an issue.

My general question is around the scale. Are trucks of Anthem or 42024 suitable for motorization (some functions like dumping, pulling, outriggers + RC going forward)? Or are they just too small? To me it all goes down the the size of the wheels. If I go with Anthem, I will need to stick to this scale for some time. I know Arocs or 42009 have bigger wheels but prices of these sets are not reasonable anymore in my country (4x or 5x Mack price). The other option would be to go 42082 but I feel like its wheels are just too big for what I want to build. 

Please advise. I am looking for some general advice too.

Hi hellhax!

I can't comment on the trucks, but as general advice; remember you can buy most parts individually on Bricklink, so maybe you want to get whatever sets have the best value, then order your wheels and motors separately to supplement that.

You can also try ordering from Brickowl.
Also helpful links:
Lego unit converter
Wheels chart
Model scaler 
Gear ratio calculator

You can thank @Sariel for these links!

There is also LDD "Lego Digital Designer". A program which makes 3d lego models. You can use this program to test out your build before actually ordering parts or making it in real life. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

Pretty much anything can be motorised if there's room for the motors. Smaller builds have less room but are also lighter and require less structural reinforcement; larger builds have more room but are heavier and require more structural reinforcement, as well as more and/or larger motors for propulsion.

You mentioned the Mack and yes, it can indeed be fully motorised:

Personally I don't buy sets, I feel that building MOC's is more suited to my skill level. I also like building models to my own specification rather than being limited by what a LEGO set offers.
Yes smaller sets like 42078 can be motorised but you offen have the issue of craming all the electrical parts into a model that was never designed for it but it is possible. Building a MOC at the 42078 scale is option of course but as with all MOC's, be prepared to try one thing and have it fail and then try something else. Most MOC's have gone through multiple design iterations before the builder settles on a good balance.

For a newbe with the modern era of LEGO, I would suggest buying something like 42078 so you can build it, figure out how to build with studless bricks, understand good building practices ect, build up a good collection of parts, either from other sets or buying parts from Bricklink. You can then go nuts and build a bigger scale lorry to your own specifications as I am doing.

Another good set to practice motorising is 42098. It's more or less in the same scale as 42078 but has far more empty spaces where you can cram all the motors, battery boxes and receivers you want.

Edited by suffocation