Klaus-Dieter

Friends 2020 - Rumours & Discussion

Hello everybody! :classic:

Since I couldn't find a topic about the 2020 Friends sets, here is what I found (set number + name + number of parts) on stonewars. If a topic / list already existy, please feel free Mods to merge it - thanks.

41390 Andrea's Car   240    
  41391 Heartlake City Hair Salon   235    
  41392 Nature Glamping   241    
  41393 Banking Competition   361    
  41394 Heartlake City Hospital   379    
  41395 Friendship Bus   778    
  41396 Puppy Playground (4+)   57    
  41397 Juice Truck (4+)   103    
  41398 Stephanies House (4+)   ???    
  41400 Andrea's Play Cube   49    
  41401 Stephanie's Play Cube   44    
  41402 Olivia's Play Cube   40    
  41403 Mia's Play Cube   36    
  41404 Emma's Play Cube   40    
  41405 Andrea's Shopping Play Cube   40    
  41406 Stephanie's Shopping Play Cube   44    
  41407 Olivia's Shopping Play Cube   47    
  41408 Mia's Shopping Play Cube   37    
  41409 Emma's Shopping Play Cube   49    
  41410 Andrea's Cube #3   ???    
  41411 Stephanie's Cube #3   ???    
  41412 Olivia's Cube #3   ???    
  41413 Mia's Cube #3   ???    
  41414 Emma's Cube #3   ???    
  41415 Andrea's Cube #4   ???    
  41416 Stephanie's Cube #4   ???    
  41417 Olivia's Cube #4   ???    
  41418 Mia's Cube #4   ???    
  41419 Emma's Cube #4   ???    
  41420 Adventskalender 2020   ???    
  41421 Jungle's Baby Elephant   ???    
  41422 Jungle's Panda   ???    
  41423 Jungle's White Tiger   ???    
  41424 Jungle's Tree Top Sanctuary   ???    
  41425 Olivia's Flower Garden   ???    
  41426 ???   ???    
  41427 Emma's Taylor Shop   ???    
  41428 Beach House   ???    
  41429 Airplane   ???    
  41430 Splash Park   ???    
  41431 Brick Box   ???  

So apparently no one’s made a thread for this yet, that I’ve seen.

Anyway, new pictures are starting to appear! So far there’s a Hair Salon and a tiny Ice Cream Stall. Both pretty cute and I might get the former. Discuss!

Strike that, more are popping up! Nature Glamping, some kind of cooking show TV studio, and a new Hospital that looks totally gorgeous. I think I’ve found my first set from this wave that’s a must-buy. It’s gorgeous and uses coral, what more can you ask for?

13 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

So apparently no one’s made a thread for this yet, that I’ve seen.

Back in August, @Klaus-Dieter did start a topic for such, though no one has yet replied...

Even though they are all redoes they feel fun and cute. The first hair salon, or maybe it was the second, was one of my first Friends sets. I like these, make up for the horrid City sets.

The bake off sets has pieces to use for frosting or sauce on a cake. I think that's a great idea even though I'm normally against pieces that can only be used for one thing.

Edited by Maple

9 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Back in August, @Klaus-Dieter did start a topic for such, though no one has yet replied...

In which case this one is already ahead of it. :P

I agree about the frosting piece. It looks cute. Hopefully it pops up in more sets since I have less than zero use for that baking competition. (Also, looking at the @Klaus-Dieter set list, this makes a lot more sense than a ‘Banking Competition’ . . :laugh:

The pictures can be found at https://www.thebrickfan.com/.

The only set that may interest me is the Hair Salon. It seems to have some nice exterior as well as interior. Although I have to say that I'm disappointed that it is only one floor big and not that the building isn't smaller but has two floors - I hoped for something like the really amazing Art Studio from 2019.

^ You are picky. I'm just happy all the buildings so far have three walls and not just a front wall with no sides. :laugh:

Edited by Maple

As ususal fan of Friends, this time this theme looks...off?
There are cool ideas here and there(camping, hair salon is back), but the colorshemes are...painful? Like too many/ wrong chosen colors.
The sets I like are the cook contest and the +4 shop on wheels xD

Edited by Lordofdragonss

1 hour ago, Lordofdragonss said:

As ususal fan of Friends, this time this theme looks...off?
There are cool ideas here and there(camping, hair salon is back), but the colorshemes are...painful? Like too many/ wrong chosen colors.
The sets I like are the cook contest and the +4 shop on wheels xD

You are spoiled, my friend :) Look at the new City 2020 sets (police and fire) they just announced.

I think the Friends sets look great. I'm not too sure about the crazy bus, but the buildings continue strongly for me.

One downside I see is that cake icing part. It is a shame it appears to be quite random in the sides, where the icing drips down. If this was more regular like the new large "flower" cogs, then we would have ones that could transfer rotation from one axis to another. But still, it looks good for the intended purpose.

The hospital is 60 Euro for 369 pieces... ouch. 

I like the random pet idea, but I don't care for those little things anyways.

Do you think the mini princesses are the right scale for minidoll children?

I think the blindbag animal is a slam dunk idea for little girls right now- they are a bit slow to the trend but I think my daughter will be so into it!

The hair salon is the best of the bunch, the hospital has only a few good things......it's Art Deco inspired exterior and those coloured bricks......yeah, Art Deco !

I actually think this is one of the worst Friends waves yet, I can see why people who aren’t fans of the theme aren’t thrilled. I’m a huge Friends fan and I’m really only interested in getting two sets.

The hairdresser is really good for its price.  It’s a shame it doesn’t come with two stickered curved windows and I’d love to add those to the old hairdresser. Speaking of the old hairdresser this one is essentially as good, but cheaper. I do think the hair accessories pack should’ve been brought back for this. I’m not quite sure why they got rid of that, I thought it was excellent. We rarely get new hair accessories anymore, there’s only one for this entire wave and it’s not in this set. XP Another thing they could’ve added was more hair, just to give it a leg up over the last one.

• I’m not thrilled about Nina. After five waves this is our first female character of colour in the Friends theme who isn’t one of the Friends. You think they would’ve put more effort into making her less like Olivia. XP I understand they might’ve had to use a leg piece to cost corners, but why not use the one from the bus? Pink is supposed to be Olivia’s signature colour. XP  Either way the combination of colours on the outfit shouldn’t have been pink and medium azure, I know colour matching is important, but they could’ve had black instead of one of them. Last critique, I continue to be annoyed that this theme disregards this theme pre Reboot. Why call her Nina when the LEGO Club Friends girl was called Nina? There’s plenty of other names they could’ve chose from and then LEGO Club’s Nina could’ve come in a set.

The baking competition is also really fun and a unique idea which is a nice change. I don’t mind getting similar sets over and over again, if they improve on the previous concepts and release some interesting new sets alongside them. I think the feature with the spinning sign of what you should make is a brilliant idea! The stations are nice and long and the inclusion of copious accessories and ingredients makes it ripe for play. The new pieces here make the set a lot more enticing too.

• David is dull. We’ve got multiple Caucasian boys (and multiples of Ethan and Zack) before and we haven’t got a new make character of colour since wave two in Friends. We’ve never got an Asian boy or a boy with Olivia’s skin tone in Friends. Heck even if he had glasses or grey eyes/green eyes/hazel eyes, it would’ve been something new. Also it be nice if they made a boy who didn’t wear dark red/ red/ a shade of green / light royal blue/ earth blue, that be nice. :P I do like the reuse of the new skirt piece of the apron though, it’s not all bad. :P
  • Lillie’s new outfit is fun. I do find it odd that multiple new torsos here have printing that is supposed to go down to the legs. Why design that if you’re not going to print it on the legs? It just makes it look cheap. :P

A lot of the other sets look either silly (more than usual) or bland. The glamping set, ice cream cart and puppy playground are all fairly boring. I do like the popsicle build and the throwback to the 2017 puppy set colours though. :P The hospital has nice colours, but design wise it looks like a City building and that’s not a compliment. XP The interior is really really bland. The ambulance looks like a 70s caper van. I do like Emma’s outfit there and Dr. Maria has a fun outfit too. I do find it weird that Maria reuses Kacey’s head as the only other pair to do this post Reboot where Zack and Mason. I’m not apposed to this idea, it just came out of nowhere. 

Those pods though. What?! XP I think they’re a nice idea, but they seem to much of a carbon copy of Shopkins or L.O.L, there’s not enough building in them in my book. We’re supposedly getting twenty this year, so I’m interested to see how that’ll work and how they’ll look different. The blind bag animal idea is also interesting. One of my biggest complaints about Friends is that they’ve kind of shelved new animals (even recolours) for better minidolls and this is an interesting solution to that problem. XP I’m genuinely tempted to buy them all secondhand. :tongue: At least the parrots could work in a normal setting?

7 hours ago, Soupperson1 said:

I actually think this is one of the worst Friends waves yet, I can see why people who aren’t fans of the theme aren’t thrilled.

Yupp, couldn't agree more. The core issue for me is slightly different, though. As I wrote on my blog just yesterday (https://myleniumsbrickcorner.wordpress.com/2019/11/19/weep-for-the-future-natoth/) it very much feels like a regression to a few years back. This year's sets were on a good track to becoming somewhat "normalized" and thus more widely acceptable/ accepted and now it's back to garish colors, wonky building styles and overall questionable world building (within the Friends theme). I'm definitely not going to be spending much on these new sets and will only be buying two or three...

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium
Fixed typo

3 hours ago, Soupperson1 said:

Those pods though. What?! XP I think they’re a nice idea, but they seem to much of a carbon copy of Shopkins or L.O.L, there’s not enough building in them in my book. We’re supposedly getting twenty this year, so I’m interested to see how that’ll work and how they’ll look different. The blind bag animal idea is also interesting. One of my biggest complaints about Friends is that they’ve kind of shelved new animals (even recolours) for better minidolls and this is an interesting solution to that problem. XP I’m genuinely tempted to buy them all secondhand. :tongue: At least the parrots could work in a normal setting?

Those other brand pods sell well, so I can see why LEGO are doing them. The interesting thing about these ones is that they stack so I can see them being used for some interesting storage (non-LEGO stuff, hair clips, etc) too, ideal for little girls' rooms. The little pods are also good for a kid to put in their bag when travelling or going to a restaurant.

3 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Yupp, couldn't agree more. The core issue for me is slightly different, though. As I wrote on my blog just yesterday (https://myleniumsbrickcorner.wordpress.com/2019/11/19/weep-for-the-future-natoth/) it very much feels like a regression to a few years back. This year's sets were on a good track to becoming somewhat "normalized" and thus more widely acceptable/ accepted and now it's back to garish colors, wonky building styles and overall questionable world building (within the Friends them). I'm definitely not going to be spending much on these new sets and will only be buying two or three...

Mylenium

I have no idea what you are talking about. The colors this year have been the same as years past besides the first year which were puked up rainbow birthday cake. There is the two story art building that is pale purple and dark orange. It's a weird look. These buildings look nice, would fit into any City. I rarely hear anyone complain about Friends colors. It's more that minidolls are useless (they are) and that some 'buildings' are literally just a front wall.

2 hours ago, Maple said:

I have no idea what you are talking about. The colors this year have been the same as years past

But this year has been better?! I mean just look at the Heartlake City Restaurant. It almost passes as a regular Creator 3in1 building. Similarly, the water rescue set used pretty real-world-ish colors with the submarine being white, portions of sand being tan and the ship wreck being all would colors. Even the boardwalk fun park theme showed some restraint and didn't go overboard with its pinks and purples. Personally I'm saddened that this, for wont of a better term, "tastefulness" seems to have been thrown out of the window again and we're back to swaths of Bright Pink and Dark Purple that feel like would make any arts teacher cry. Sorry, but this is the one thing I've always criticized about Friends and I can only say it again: It seems to me they are locking themselves into these color schemes just for the sake of being different (or creating that forced connection to the named Girls) and that's not reason enough IMO.

Mylenium

Yeah no idea what you are talking about. The water theme park is purple and dark pink all over. The Ocean boat is half coral aka pink. The 2020 hospital looks like a City building, the camping set looks like woods with a pink tent. These look fine. Look at the first year when the camper was all pinks, purples and lime green. The new one isn't great but has white. I think the sets have reached a nice blend of colors.

Has anyone else noticed that Andrea, Emma and Stephanie seem to have new faces in their play cubes? Andrea’s Face is updated to have a golden triangle on one eye, Stephanie’s mouth is half open and Emma’s expression is more goofy then normal. These are really minimalist changes and I’m surprised they bothered to make them. I’m not complaining as I think most Friends fans have plenty of eachs normal face by now. I do hope we continue to see new faces for the main girls throughout these play cubes. Maybe in the summer we could get sunglasses on all of them? (Melody’s head is missing lipstick unfortunately as otherwise it would’ve worked fine for Andrea) Perhaps Olivia will take her glasses off in one of these? I’m very excited! :laugh:

Lastly it appears that 41390 Andrea’s Car will be a retail exclusive, as it’s not coming up on many sites. I think there’s a possibility that it could come with another character due to it’s fairly large piece count of 240. Hopefully if it does it’ll come with a new character! 

1 hour ago, Soupperson1 said:

Has anyone else noticed that Andrea, Emma and Stephanie seem to have new faces in their play cubes? Andrea’s Face is updated to have a golden triangle on one eye, Stephanie’s mouth is half open and Emma’s expression is more goofy then normal. These are really minimalist changes and I’m surprised they bothered to make them.

Good job at catching them, they are actually very intriguing. I love this face for Stephanie she looks more competitive now which is shown to be one of her characteristics. The play cube seem fun to me, let’s hope that they get more unique with the other waves.

overall the wave seems just fine to me. The hairdresser is my favorite set, I love ninas design and Emma has a cute top. The building looks elegant and I think it would look very good next to the accessory store. Other standouts for me are the baking competition which has a lot of new recolors and pieces. I’m actually happy with David because he seems to have dark eyes which I believe is a new for male minidolls. Although I have to agree that we need more variety in the boys. The hospital seems a bit wacky on the outside and the inside is just ugly. Most of the other sets look fine but pretty regular for the theme.