Flieger

Does (not) enjoying a movie/series influence your purchase decisions?

Thanks for the responses, very interesting!

I would like to add that there is a difference between not knowing the source material, and thus being indifferent to it, and enjoying or not enjoying it. If one does not know the movie/series/game it is easier to judge a set without bias. I bought some Old Republic Sets simply because I liked the looks. And if I had not watched Resistance I might be more open to Vonreg's TIE.

Btw., I totally agree on Ninjago. The quality of the sets is just amazing. Then you look at Lego Star Wars... But I came back to Lego mostly because of Star Wars (also because of LotR but that one is done, I am afraid to say). And I cannot help but suspect Lego prefers to release sets based on what they think is most popular. And that makes sense, of course. On the other hand, I am sure a good TPM set with Queen Amidala in her regal outfit would sell, despite TPM's reputation.

On 8/30/2019 at 2:18 PM, Retro said:

In relation to the original question, did you see these fabulous MOCs (not mine). If Lego made something as good as this, would you change your mind?

To be honest: no. I meam, the MOCs are extremely well done and I applaud the maker. But both available Resistance sets are basically what I would want. The minifig selection could be better, more focussed on the vehicle (FO personnel for Vonreg's fighter, not resistance members; more members for Black Ace, not Poe and BB8). Other than that they entirely meet my expectations for Lego sets of their respective size.

But the striking red of Vonreg's fighter and his brilliant minifig would only remind me of how I did not enjoy the show. And I want positive vibes from a Lego set. I even disassembled my FO TIE simply because I don't want anything related to TLJ in my room. (To be clear, if you like the movie, good for you! More to enjoy for you. As long as we respectfully accept everyone's choices, there is no harm done).

Edited by Flieger

I have to say that this affected me (and my collection) a lot, specially with TLJ. That movie trashed the entire saga for me, I can't just look back to the ending of RotJ, watch Luke talking with Yoda or Vader, knowing he won't even care about saving his nephew and doing what he does in Ahch-To. Or the romance of Han and Leia, I think it's pointless to watch their relationshio now knowing they will end up in the worst way possible.

I bought some of TLJ sets before the movie. Then few months after, I decided to dissassemble everything and store the parts for MOCs. I've bought only three Star Wars sets (Republic tank, Solo's speeder and Anakin's podracer) since TLJ, and I used to buy even some of the bigger sets every year. I like the new IX sets, but I don't think I will be buying them (I like a lot the new Falcon), I don't care about the new characters. I feel that I don't have any connection with these movies.

It's sad, I hope I can enjoy this franchise again someday. I really want to watch the Mandalorian tho.

3 hours ago, hachiroku said:

I have to say that this affected me (and my collection) a lot, specially with TLJ. That movie trashed the entire saga for me, I can't just look back to the ending of RotJ, watch Luke talking with Yoda or Vader, knowing he won't even care about saving his nephew and doing what he does in Ahch-To. Or the romance of Han and Leia, I think it's pointless to watch their relationshio now knowing they will end up in the worst way possible.

I bought some of TLJ sets before the movie. Then few months after, I decided to dissassemble everything and store the parts for MOCs. I've bought only three Star Wars sets (Republic tank, Solo's speeder and Anakin's podracer) since TLJ, and I used to buy even some of the bigger sets every year. I like the new IX sets, but I don't think I will be buying them (I like a lot the new Falcon), I don't care about the new characters. I feel that I don't have any connection with these movies.

It's sad, I hope I can enjoy this franchise again someday. I really want to watch the Mandalorian tho.

Have you read the 'Legends' novels? If you haven't, I'd recommend them. They have a much better story in general, imo.

It sure does.  There's a reason I have not, nor will I ever, buy a set from the sequel trilogy.  As far as I'm concerned, when that light saber got tossed it stopped being Star Wars.

19 hours ago, hachiroku said:

You can't let the Disney stuff rob you of the joy the originals.  Just do what I do: don't even acknowledge the sequel trilogy as true Star Wars or canon.

Edited by Schneeds
n

20 hours ago, hachiroku said:

That's basically me! I ended up selling all of my sequel stuff because of that. Now I only get sets to collect the minifigures.

9 hours ago, Schneeds said:

It sure does.  There's a reason I have not, nor will I ever, buy a set from the sequel trilogy.  As far as I'm concerned, when that light saber got tossed it stopped being Star Wars.

You can't let the Disney stuff rob you of the joy the originals.  Just do what I do: don't even acknowledge the sequel trilogy as true Star Wars or canon.

Yep, that is what I do. For me personally, I like to think the original episodes VII to IX were and still are the Thrawn trilogy.

- Samppu

On 9/1/2019 at 2:34 PM, Chromide said:

Have you read the 'Legends' novels? If you haven't, I'd recommend them. They have a much better story in general, imo.

Yep, I should read them. I want to read the Heir to the Empire comics at least (I know the novels are probably better, but I think I won't want to miss the visual art of a Star Wars product).

12 hours ago, Schneeds said:

I know... But it's too hard after watching the milking scene :laugh:

First, Flieger, thanks for a great topic for discussion.  Thankfully the Ep 9 set images broke the slow news cycle, which was spawning a lot of treadmill bickering over semantics and minutiae :wall:

The question you posed in your original post really had me analyzing my own purchasing habits.  I'm not a completionist by any stretch, so I'll certainly leave a set on the shelf that doesn't appeal to me.  On the other hand, I will occasionally buy a set from a series I have zero interest in because of the great design, e.g. 75083 AT-DP from SW Rebels.  Great looking set, great looking minifigs, don't care about SW Rebels.

Now the curveball.  I enjoyed The LEGO Movie 2 and its predecessor so much that it inspired me to chase after my first Collectable Minifigure Series - the hard way.  That is, instead of purchasing a new, sealed box with three complete sets of minifigs, I hunted far and wide to pick through the random assortment for the fun of opening the bags to see what I got.  Incidentally, this fun chase eventually made me quite adept at finding the minifig I needed by pressing through the bag to get the shape of the crayon guy, the giraffe guy, watermelon guy, mechanic Benny, etc...  Had I not liked the LEGO movies, I'm pretty sure I would NOT have gone to such lengths!

So I guess I fall somewhere in between...sometimes enjoyment of the source material matters a lot, other times not at all :laugh:

On 9/1/2019 at 1:49 AM, Flieger said:

I would like to add that there is a difference between not knowing the source material, and thus being indifferent to it, and enjoying or not enjoying it. If one does not know the movie/series/game it is easier to judge a set without bias. I bought some Old Republic Sets simply because I liked the looks. And if I had not watched Resistance I might be more open to Vonreg's TIE.

I think this may be the main issue.

I came back to lego star wars in 2016, after a 12 year dark age, in the middle of the sequel craze. What got me back into it -after the two battlefront 2015 BPs, an unexpected birthday gift from the girlfriend- was the Imperial Hovertank from Rogue One. The movie was not even out yet, the only footage we had of it was a couple of frames in a trailer, but when I saw the brickset review I found myself really liking the set, so when I found it a couple of weeks later I was more than happy to pay full price plus the "we-overprice-LSW-sets" tax the nearest store to me enforces.Then fast forward a couple of weeks of it sitting on my desk and next thing I know I'm in the basement at 3 AM rebuilding my old collection from the 1999-2004 era. =D

Same thing happened a couple of years later for the Solo Speeder: again, only the footage from the trailer, a YT review (Jangbricks') and a liking for the design of the set made me buy it before even seeing the movie. Luckily, in both these cases, I actually enjoyed the movies the sets were based on, but while I later got my hands on half of the RO sets, I only bought the TIE from Solo, and that's more an OT set than a Solo one, IMHO.

The numbered episodes, alas, are a different issue. I missed the opportunity to look at the first VII wave unbiased and -even if at the time I kinda enjoyed the movie, or at least tried to- none of the sets from ep VII gave me anything, not even the slightest pang. Then VIII came, and with it what was to me an underwhelming first wave. Yes, the Bomber was nice, but out of my price range at the time, I was living in Belgium, which also has its Benelux "let's overprice SW" tax, and they where putting more appealing sets on clearance to make space for the new wave, so I didn't really care for it. Then I saw the movie, and I stopped caring for the VIII sets altogether. To this day I have bought two sets from episode VIII, both microfighters and both for the figures: the MF to finally get a Chewbacca and the Ski-Speeder/AT-M6 dual pack, because I enjoyed the Ski-Speeder design and I finally had found a flesh face for my Kyle Katarn (also, the hairpiece works perfectly on my comm operator in my small Scarif display). The MF -with a round rectenna- and the speeder are still built on my microfighter shelf, the AT-M6 was savaged for parts and sits in a plastic bag, unbuilt.

Still, I believe this goes both ways, to enjoy a set does not mean to enjoy the source material and vice-versa: I love the prequels and TCW, but this does not mean I like every set from that era and I'm almost happy having missed the first Lego CW run because I really dislike the cartoonish face prints it had. A more recent exaple may be the last AT-AP and Droid Gunship: they're nice sets, from a movie I still enjoy rewatching and they both have a nice minifig selection, but they just don't do it for me. Same thing for Obi-Wan's starfighter with hyperdrive ring: a nice set for a ship I really like, but every time I look at it -the cockpit area- I see a repurposed Delta 7B -which I loathe, for some reason- and think that I'm more than happy with my dusty 2002 Delta 7. So yeah, my reasons to buy or not to buy a set can be so many and some quite petty, but I believe there can be a bias due to liking or not the source material.

I dont think any Star Wars media that I didnt like has put out any sets that I did like. None of the Freemaker or Resistance sets were very good anyway IMO, and I didn't dislike any of the movies. However, I do know that I buy Ninjago sets from time to time and I very much dont care for that show. So I would imagine that if a Star Wars set were in a similar position I'd probably buy it. Though all in all I dont really buy Star Wars sets very often these days anyway, because MOCs blow them out of the water.

To answer the question from the thread title: yes it does.

If I like a movie, series or franchise in general, I am likely to check the corresponding sets in much more detail. As a result they are more likely to be bought. It is very similar with things I actively do not like: associated sets have it much harder with me.

Case in point: anything from TFA and onwards. I can sort of live with TFA and RO (don't like them though), but just hate the rest. I only got very few sets related to all of these combined, and they got bought on merits other than their role in the movies.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:09 PM, m4st3rt3ch said:

I want two points, two flats and a packet of gravel.

stoning.png

Edited by roadstermatt
better responce

Yes. I only buy UCS OT pieces for display.. (with the exception of BB-8, because he looks good with UCS R2-D2) . As I started collecting with the new X-Wing, most of my sets have been done before. But if they were to remake Obiwans's Jedi StarFighter it would be an easy pass for me.

In the years prior to me being a student, my like or dislike of the media had no influence on my purchases. I did not like TFA, but I already had a few of the sets, so I decided to get more because even if they were overpriced, they were generally nice. Because the movie was so small in scale, it allowed Lego to create almost every single scene completely within their sets, so I decided to collect them all because a movie has never been represented as well in Lego as that movie has.

Because my love for the TCW show, I am trying to get every single CW set and polybag ever, even when I do not like the sets. But now that things in life have changed, that is the only subtheme which I want to complete. Beeing a student now, I have to be very selective with the sets that I buy. That does not prevent me from getting good sets that are based on IMO bad SW media, such as TLJ, a movie that I absolutely despise.

I quite like all of the First Order designs, so I try to collect every trooper type of them and I already own the FO Star Destroyer. I think I'll still get the AT-M6. Luckily, my dislike for the movie means I can live without sets that I only like a little bit, like the TIE Silencer or Defense on Crait, and I have no interest in the Resistance Pod because it includes too many stickers and Rose Tico, a horrible character which has no place in my collection.

Another thing is that while media can be quite bad, the designs can be very good, but also very bad yet still offer potential for good sets. TFA was just a simple action blockbuster movie, so while I have no connection to the characters it is nice to own some spaceships from it like the T-70 X-wings because they did their thing in the movie and were cool. Then there is the Resistance Bomber: an absolutely terrible vehicle that does not shine in its role and does not work at all in the movie that it is in, and it is also from a movie that I find terrible. However, while it is an incredibly dumb ship, I love the way it looks and I think Lego made a beautiful looking set of it with great functions and some good pilot minifigs. And in general, they do not make larger ships based on the Rebellion or the Resistance, so it is unique in that sense and I just had to get it. I can just leave the Holdo figure unassembled, another TLJ attrocity that has no place in my collection.

So in short, before I was a student I was a completionist and I got as many sets as possible. After that, I limited myself only to sets that I actually like, whether they are from bad media or not, except when a set that isn't all that great is from TCW (like Grievous' speeder). Now that I am almost out of cash entirely, I'll try not to buy any more Sequel Trilogy stuff and remakes of OT/PT that I don't need. I'll save up for potential sets of the new season of TCW and The Mandalorian (if the latter is any good).

Edited by JekPorkchops

Yes. I try to pretend the new films don't exist. It's depressing, because I love Star Wars (I even love the prequels), but every time Lego does a line of episode 7-9 stuff, I just breeze on by the toy aisle. :(

No movie would influence my purchases. I only buy lego sets based on rarity/quality of parts or figures or if in on sale and parts/price count is a good value. Otherwise everything I purchase is in bulk from an online distributor since I only build MOCS, not a set collector.

It does for me. I never bought any of the Yoda Chronicles or Freemaker Adventures sets because it wasn't "real Star Wars" for me. Just made up rubbish with the brand's logo slapped on the box. Even the stuff I enjoy I still have to prioritize now. With so much new Star Wars content coming and no end in sight, I've become a lot more selective on which sets I'm buying and the eras I'm focusing on.

37 minutes ago, wesker said:

It does for me. I never bought any of the Yoda Chronicles or Freemaker Adventures sets because it wasn't "real Star Wars" for me. Just made up rubbish with the brand's logo slapped on the box. Even the stuff I enjoy I still have to prioritize now. With so much new Star Wars content coming and no end in sight, I've become a lot more selective on which sets I'm buying and the eras I'm focusing on.

About that, I actually enjoyed the Freemaker adventures -I still remember stormtroopers forcing a door open with an orange brick separator- but I never even considered buying a set based on that show, seeing as they were usually an overpriced mess or just not that appealing (and yes, I know that the Bounty Hunter BP technically counts as a freemaker set because of the speeder bike, but not many people know that),

Not really. I don't like the prequels (except TCW, that was great) or the sequels, but I love a lot of the designs from both trilogies and I've gotten sets from both. I haven't watched Resistance but I got Vonreg's TIE because I like TIE Fighters and I got the Phantom II and I what I watched of Rebels I didn't like.

Yes but it can depend on the era. I wasn't a fan of the first season of Rebels but there were a lot of good OT/OT esque minifigures and ships in that wave.

There's been quite a few sets I haven't been interested in the action battle sets, the microfighters, even most of the 20th Anniversary sets even though I'm a fan of the source material. So yeah, buy what you like; don't buy what you don't like.