Flieger

Does (not) enjoying a movie/series influence your purchase decisions?

I’ve never not bought something because of the media it was attached to. In SW terms, I bought 75145 Eclipse Fighter despite having no clue about the ship or the Sith that comes with it. I did buy it in part for Dengar, but I wouldn’t buy a set at that price just for a minifig. I love that entire set, Naare is a cool looking minifig & I really like the design of the ship. Likewise, I do plan on buying Vonreg’s TIE...again, despite having no clue about it  

Interesting thought though. 

Edited by Vindicare

I have little interest in the sequel trilogy stuff for the most part because I just don't care for the films or the majority of ship designs.  The resistance bomber, Kylo Ren's Tie Fighter, and the upcoming Millennium Falcon all appeal to me though, I might eventually nab them at some point. 

I used to be pretty indifferent to Star Wars stuff but the older I get the narrower my views get.  I like Episode III and Clone Wars (both the in-universe era and the show) so that stuff appeals to me. The OT is my preferred era overall but we tend to get a lot of the same stuff there.  There's only so many X-Wings, Y-Wings, Landspeeders, and Snowspeeders you can really make. 

Yeah it does influence my purchase desicion. Episode 8 & 9 (and probaly 10), together with Rebels are all a no-go for me. The designs of the vehicles are just not for me I think. I did like the Solo and Rogue one movies a bit better, and I liked those designs more so I bought a few sets. I really really hope the Mandolorian is any good..

It does and it doesn’t. If I really enjoy a piece of media, I’ll suddenly be interested in the merchandise. The Lego movie 2 for example, didn’t want the sets until after I watched the movie.

with Star Wars though, it’s many different things. I bought the Black Ace because it looks cool, but most of the time I buy the sets because I want those vehicles and characters. With the Last Jedi, I got all the main cast (Rey, Finn, Poe, Rose, Luke, Kylo, Snoke) so I haven’t bothered to get any more sets. I like the AT-M6 and Star Destroyer, but not enough to get them. With Solo, I liked the movie, but didn’t want the cast or vehicles. I just bought his landspeeder and the battle pack because they looked really cool and had some great minifigures. And then the TIE because...TIE fighter.

outside of Star Wars though, I’ve never seen Voltron, but the set looks awesome so I do want it. I’m not a huge car guy, but the speed champions sets look awesome so I get them. I’ve never bought a ninjago Set other than destinys bounty and Ninjago city, because they are amazingly designed sets.

2 hours ago, Brickviller V2 said:

Yeah it does influence my purchase desicion. Episode 8 & 9 (and probaly 10), together with Rebels are all a no-go for me. The designs of the vehicles are just not for me I think. I did like the Solo and Rogue one movies a bit better, and I liked those designs more so I bought a few sets. I really really hope the Mandolorian is any good..

There are some crossover units between Rebels and Rogue One, though - The Ghost and the Hammerhead Corvette come to mind. I'd buy a model of the latter in a heartbeat.

I buy only OT, Rogue One and Solo sets. Don't really have the room (or money) to include prequel stuff and sequel stuff so I chose the best out of the 3. I'll get some Mandalorian sets if imperial troops are included at all. Decided against Rebels since the cartoon figs look too out of place. If they would have included normal Stormtroopers and Tie Pilots I would have bought them all in a heartbeat. 

Sorry to return to this thread... but: The Mandalorian happened.

Well, I am not a fan of Mandalorians and I had no interest in the character before I saw the show. Then I saw the show, and now I want sets from the show. Many sets.

I won't spoil anything but even in the first two chapters I saw many possibilities for sets I would buy.

When on of the reasons I dislike the sequel trilogy is that they have such unoriginal and derivative ships and craft, then I would say yes it does influence my lack of recent purchases. 

Here in the UK we're being made to wait until March before we get the disney streaming service, which is painful when so many are raving over how good it is!

In my case if I like the movie/serie it's easier that I'll buy some sets. But I value most the sets design, so I won't buy bad or weird designs of a movie I like.

If I don't like the movie/serie, I just value the set and minifigs design, but I guess I'll probably buy less of those anyway even if the design is a good one. There are just too many sets out there. 

So yes, it influences my purchasing decisions.

On 11/17/2019 at 3:11 PM, Flieger said:

Well, I am not a fan of Mandalorians and I had no interest in the character before I saw the show. Then I saw the show, and now I want sets from the show. Many sets.

I won't spoil anything but even in the first two chapters I saw many possibilities for sets I would buy.

100% agreed, I had to bricklink Mando minifig right after watching those two first episodes. 

Yes it affects greatly my purchases. After TLJ im skipping on all Sequel Trilogy sets. Solo was not good, but at least the designs were good and figures very compatible with OT era so at discounts, i purchased the entire line. In case of TLJ sets, i purchased the small transport with Fin and Rose when it reached 75% discounts, i passed on many TLJ sets at 50% discounts - not even that was a reason to purchase. On the other hand purchased the Mando AT-ST on Triple Force Friday and will buy the Mando Battlepack for full price right after i see it anywhere. Skipping Ep9 sets, unless they are 75% or more discounted just for the bricks.

I have to say yes and no, it really depends, though I am a little pissed at Lego to see another Luke's speeder coming out and then so little from the Mandalorian

Yup, to be fair though they haven't really introduced anything of note at all anyway.  The odd nice Star Destroyer or Tie variant but other than that, its been just the same old ships we have seen over and over.

Probably at some point, but generellt dont buy complete sets if not OT and PT related just to avoid my collecting getting out of hand, both in terms of money, space n time.

I'd like to get the new X-wing. However, it is massively overpriced and - worse - supports the narrative abortion that is RotS. I'm kind of on the fence.

I will say this: due to Disney's treatment of Star Wars, I will never visit one of their theme parks again.

1 hour ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I will say this: due to Disney's treatment of Star Wars, I will never visit one of their theme parks again.

Disney: 

luke-shoulder-brushgif.gif

Edited by Classic_Spaceman
100th post!

On 11/17/2019 at 6:11 AM, Flieger said:

100% this.  Really have no interested in TLJ or TROS sets.  But Mandalorian sets - I didn't care about the AT-ST set before the show came out, but now I really want that set.  And the additional battle pack they're putting out.  I'm hoping for a couple more sets, as I'd love to see the Razor Crest, along with a couple of other "things/people" that have shown up in the series.

I have spoken.

22 hours ago, Ether said:

Yup, to be fair though they haven't really introduced anything of note at all anyway.  The odd nice Star Destroyer or Tie variant but other than that, its been just the same old ships we have seen over and over.

I was undecided about the Tie Dagger. It is reasonably fresh (and yes, I know about EC Henry, who imo did a better version...), and even though the minifigs are underwhelming I seriously considered it. But once again, I did not like the film enough to justify buying it. The fact that it was a background vehicle did not help.

And the KoR... no spoilers, just saying it was not enough for me. But I do understand the appeal, and I hope Lego completes the line-up for the KoR-fans out there.

My love or not of the media attached to sets definitely affects my decisions. For me, I buy sets specifically because of how I feel about the media. Sets and material objects only hold value to me because of the memories or feelings attached. Each set I own is a bit like a memory capsule, not only because of how I feel about the source material, but because I can almost always recall when, where and how I was feeling when I built a set. So until I saw The Rise of Skywalker I had no attachment to the new sets apart from the fact that they are Star Wars. That was enough for me to want to add the minifigures to my collection, but it wasn't until I saw, and mostly liked, the movie that I decided I wish to add some of the sets to my display too.