Hinckley

LEGO Masters Reality TV show in the US

38 minutes ago, Hinckley said:

The casting directors contacted Eurobricks to get the word out that they’re looking for applicants.

Didn't they do that via Instagram a month ago?

Just now, Mister Phes said:

Didn't they do that via Instagram a month ago?

:def_shrug:

:thumbup:

They contacted me as the owner of Brickworld and I said I'd post it here too. There are a ton of people there. They may not have remembered a comment they made on a Classic Space post a month ago. Do you have a point?

Just now, Hinckley said:

Do you have a point?

I was just wondering if anything came of it...  and now I've got the information I was hoping for, so thank you. :thumbup:

Just now, Mister Phes said:

I was just wondering if anything came of it...  and now I've got the information I was hoping for, so thank you. :thumbup:

:thumbup:

13 minutes ago, WhiteFang said:

First ever LEGO reality contest? This is very interesting. 

Based off the Australian show and UK shows.

23 minutes ago, KotZ said:

Based off the Australian show and UK shows.

I had not watched any of it before. Thanks for sharing. 

On 8/30/2019 at 3:31 AM, WhiteFang said:

I had not watched any of it before. Thanks for sharing. 

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/lego-masters

There have been two series in the UK, and Nate (one of the two series 1 winners) was even in Billund at the Event (with YOU! :laugh: ) in 2018, along with JanetVanD and son, who also progressed pretty far in the first series (IIRC). So you have even met people who've been in it and won it! :laugh: 

9 hours ago, Pandora said:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/lego-masters

There have been two series in the UK, and Nate (one of the two series 1 winners) was even in Billund at the Event (with YOU! :laugh: ) in 2018, along with JanetVanD and son, who also progressed pretty far in the first series (IIRC). So you have even met people who've been in it and won it! :laugh: 

I must have definitely had been staying in the cave! I thought we were talking about Eurovision or something like that in 2018 at Billund. :tongue: 

21 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

... You need to be able to commit 7 weeks in LA.  

Oy.  I've been to LA.  Three days is exciting.  Seven weeks is _long_ time.  I suppose it wouldn't be bad if I were playing with LEGO everyday but still...

It's not a bad place to visit, but I really can't say I've ever been sorry to leave at the end of any of my trips either (no offense to anyone from LA, I just find the shine wears off pretty quickly, just not my scene I guess).

1 hour ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

Oy.  I've been to LA.  Three days is exciting.  Seven weeks is _long_ time.  I suppose it wouldn't be bad if I were playing with LEGO everyday but still...

It's not a bad place to visit, but I really can't say I've ever been sorry to leave at the end of any of my trips either (no offense to anyone from LA, I just find the shine wears off pretty quickly, just not my scene I guess).

As someone who lives in LA, don't visit. If you do, go to Hollywood Boulevard for ten minutes, go to Venice beach for three hours. You'll get your fill. If you want interesting places that won't make you hate humanity, visit any one of the numerous museums (Getty, Huntington, Broad, etc.) Walk around DTLA and the arts district. Go to Malibu. Go visit the LEGO stores in Glendale and Topanga.

Versions of the show have aired in the U.K. (on Channel 4), Australia (for Nine), and Germany (for RTL).

According to the poster, press release, and FAQ (which hasn't changed since I last checked, in late July) for the U.S. version, contestant requirements include:

• 12 teams
  • Teams of two persons (family, friends, etc.).
  • At least one of the two must be age 18 or older.
  • Must be legal U.S. residents.
  • Teams need to be available for potentially seven weeks.
  • Filming occurs between October and December of 2019.

Now, speaking as an American, my first objection is: What kind of American adult has seven free weeks to spare? We're lucky to get three weeks of paid vacation. It's not during the summer, so teachers are occupied. A college student on a break semester, maybe? Somebody employed by an overstaffed company that can spare their contribution for a prolonged period? An outright unemployed person? Now, there have been plenty of other successive-elimination reality competition shows on U.S. TV (cooking, special effects makeup, physical feats), so there must be some people who qualify, but I wonder how much of a demographic filter this imposes -- OTOH, it reduces the number of applicants the producers need to evaluate.

None of the material I've seen answers questions like: Do they provide hotel and airfare? What's the minimum time you'll be there, if you're eliminated? How many challenges are there? How many hours a day can your team expect to be building? What kind of portfolio should you present when applying? (I presume anyone serious would track down episodes of previous versions and familiarize themselves with the format.)

Here's some other information:

(I'm not free to do this, so my objections are only slightly sour grapes. Rather, I'm legitimately curious about the logistics of the show.)

Edited by Phillip Thorne
Missing "not".

Depending where you work, you may be able to take a leave of absence to do the 7 weeks of production in LA.  If you really want to be on the show, you'll find a way. 

One of our LUG members was contacted through Instagram too.  Having an Instagram account may help.  :wink:

On 9/11/2019 at 12:28 AM, dr_spock said:

Depending where you work, you may be able to take a leave of absence to do the 7 weeks of production in LA.  If you really want to be on the show, you'll find a way. 

One of our LUG members was contacted through Instagram too.  Having an Instagram account may help.  :wink:

I could take a LoA with my company but its unpaid ... Unfortunately Bills do not take the same LoA ....

On 8/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, Mister Phes said:

It was a hit in Australia and I really loved it. The second season in Australia was immediately approved and I think they are either filming it now or starting soon.