Arkeeos

[WIP] Sith Star Destroyer

With the new D23 special on the internet and the swarm of star destroyers being the highlight of it for me, I thought it would be fun to try and make this new star destroyer variant, it appears to be part of palpatines fleet with the sith troopers, as they both share the red colour.

The Sith Star Destroyers appears to have a red trim around the edges and a super laser in the bottom of it, instead of the hanger bay, It also appears to be variant on the ISD 1 instead of the ISD 2 so there will be a more complicated sensor array to make. 

Ive attempted making a star destroyer in the past before, and gave up just about every time due to the angles never really working out and the superstructure being a pain in the megablocks, hopefully it turns out better this time. The previous ones measured around 70cm long, this one will be 110cm long, so its a bit more of a challenge. 

48642009098_d9b30d7d49_o.jpgSith fleet by arkeeos, on Flickr

48642352591_e82f00b916_o.pngSith Star Destroyer by arkeeos, on Flickr

48642000908_afa7365c1a_o.pngSith Star Destroyer bottom by arkeeos, on Flickr

Edited by Arkeeos

Great start, this is going to look awesome! Seeing this many ISDs was definitely the best part of the D23 footage! Looking forward to seeing the super laser implemented.

I must admit that I did not see any of those details at all! To me this was just a ridiculously large fleet of Imperial Star Destroyers stuck in the wrong era.. I will admit that the red stripes along the edges do look kind of cool but I am not a fan of just slapping a Superlaser underneath and calling it a new design..

That all being said, this does not diminish your build in the slightest. So far your model is looking really good! The greebling on the sides might be a bit monotonous still but I assume that you are planning on mixing that up a bit anyway. And at this point greebling really isn't of much significance. The internal structure looks sensible and the panels seem to line up fine so far.

Keep on working on this and keep us posted! Really interested in seeing this project continue!

Off topic from Lego a bit, but these pictures from the trailer make me think of the lost Katana Fleet from the Thrawn trilogy. An old fleet of warships that was lost/hidden in space only to be found later and used for a big fight. Fun fact, the Katana Fleet used a "slave circuit system" which allowed the ships to be manned by a skeleton crew... sounds perfect for a band of desperate resistance fighters! :head_back:

17 minutes ago, Kit Bricksto said:

That all being said, this does not diminish your build in the slightest. So far your model is looking really good! The greebling on the sides might be a bit monotonous still but I assume that you are planning on mixing that up a bit anyway. And at this point greebling really isn't of much significance. The internal structure looks sensible and the panels seem to line up fine so far.

Keep on working on this and keep us posted! Really interested in seeing this project continue!

Oh yeah, the greebling is just temporary until I get all of the main bits worked out, then I can add some details to the panels, the Fleet seems to be pretty old even by the time of the empire and its been sitting in a giant storm so I plan on putting some environmental damage onto the panels

7 hours ago, Kozikyo86 said:

I didn't notice these red stripes - shock *oh2*

Good luck in the construction, it will be interesting!

They are virtually unnoticeable.

The build is looking good! Are you using magnets for the panels or do you have a different solution? The build looks kinda similar to 10030.

Anyways looking forward to seeing it finished!

14 hours ago, Reaper said:

They are virtually unnoticeable.

The build is looking good! Are you using magnets for the panels or do you have a different solution? The build looks kinda similar to 10030.

Anyways looking forward to seeing it finished!

No I’m going to use ball joints rather then magnets, because they are cheaper and create a stronger connection

When the new UCS star destroyer comes out, it theoretically wouldnt be too difficult to turn it into a Sith Star destroyer

48721694132_68afddd4bd_o.pngSith Star Destroyer by arkeeos, on Flickr

I'm 3500 pieces in now, surprisingly low for how much I've done, I've got a lot of the major stuff down, just got the back, bridge, engines and all the fine details such as greebling around the edges of everything and imperfections on the hull. And also the superlaser on the bottom, how ever there isn't any good reference for that, so ill have to wait until there is an official announcement and some proper images, or for the movie to come out. 

Very unsure on how to do the turbo lasers, as the star destroyer is too small for the 4x4 round piece while too big for 2x2 round piece, and for what I've tried there's no too much way to make a round object at a 3x3 scale, so im using the 3x3 plate with a turntable below, which is giving a very unfortunate square shape to them. 

Edited by Arkeeos

Looks cool!  Is the design of the Star Destroyer your own or is it inspired from a previous creation with some creative liberties added?

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

Looking good! The greebling on the sides doesn't look as bad anymore now that there is more of a ship around it. Probably still a good idea to change some stuff out there. Also while the smooth surface looks good in the render I think the tile gaps will be a bit more visible in reality, which means that the brick wall pattern you have them in might be a lot more obvious and I think it might feel very out of place for a starship. Maybe using some larger tiles would make for a more convincing texture even if that means adding a few more studs to the surface. I might be overly worrying here though, just something to consider though maybe. :)

Keep up the great work and keep posting updates! ;)

2 hours ago, Brick-Wombat said:

@Arkeeos you could use the claw piece that OneCase used on his design for the turrets.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=88811#T=C

I think I will end up using those, thanks for telling me about them, but I cant seem to find them in LDD, so ill probably stick with the binocular pieces as a substitute for now. 

1 hour ago, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

Looks cool!  Is the design of the Star Destroyer your own or is it inspired from a previous creation with some creative liberties added?

Its from a whole mish-mash of other peoples builds, the superstructure is mainly inspired by the new UCS star destroyers superstructure. 

31 minutes ago, Kit Bricksto said:

Looking good! The greebling on the sides doesn't look as bad anymore now that there is more of a ship around it. Probably still a good idea to change some stuff out there. Also while the smooth surface looks good in the render I think the tile gaps will be a bit more visible in reality, which means that the brick wall pattern you have them in might be a lot more obvious and I think it might feel very out of place for a starship. Maybe using some larger tiles would make for a more convincing texture even if that means adding a few more studs to the surface. I might be overly worrying here though, just something to consider though maybe. :)

Keep up the great work and keep posting updates! ;)

yeah, I think randomizing the tiles, using a combination of them should create a more metallic plate look. Ill also add in some environmental damage using sand blue tiles, as these ships have been sitting in a maelstrom for 60 years or so. 

1 hour ago, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

@Arkeeos Another question, did you intend to color the edges of the underside red also? From the reference photos it looks all gray except for that area you have yet to fill in (if you have not already)?

good point, I didn't notice the red stripe wasn't on the underside, on a second look the markings do look slightly different then what I have put down, However there is a larger red marking on the one shown in the teaser, thankfully its just a colour change, so it shouldn't be too hard to change when more reference is revealed. 

Looks great! I like the smooth surface. Was the design process easy? I'm interested to have a go at building my own Star destroyer.

3 hours ago, Reaper said:

Looks great! I like the smooth surface. Was the design process easy? I'm interested to have a go at building my own Star destroyer.

It wasnt too hard, figuring out the angles is the hardest part, I just stole the frame of mine from @NathanR in this thread 

which gave me a starting point to then put the panels on. You could make the frame yourself but figuring out how to get everything to fit together perfectly is a pain. 

48728495306_7b18ee9cfc_o.pngSith Star Destroyer by arkeeos, on Flickr

The bridge is now complete! one of the most painful areas to get working was the 2 panels behind the bridge as they are at a very awkward angle. Ive also started work on some of the greebling on the superstructure, however im not 100% happy with it, and it will likely be changed. I've never really done any greebling like this before, so its a challenge getting to right balance of random and organized and messy and clean.

Edited by Arkeeos

7 minutes ago, Brick-Wombat said:

Will you be willing to share the 3D files when you're done? Alternatively, will you be selling instructions?

Once I've completed it I will probably put the file up for download. whether or not I will make instructions depends, they seem like quite the investment to make, so we'll see once I've got it built in real bricks.

Edited by Arkeeos

Just now, Arkeeos said:

Once I've completed it I will probably put the file up for download. whether or not I will make instructions depends, they seem like quite the investment to make, so we'll see once I've got it built in real bricks.

Great! I know myself and several others are very much looking forward to this!!

Just now, Brick-Wombat said:

Great! I know myself and several others are very much looking forward to this!!

That's great to hear!