Roadmonkeytj

[LOGO Contest] Design the official BoBS Logo!

Cat A voting  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cat A submission should be our new forum banner?

• LM71Blackbird
    • Kai NRG
    • Kurigan

Hear ye, Hear ye!

It has come to the attention that the Brethren of the Brick Seas is void of an official logo or banner.  
It has been discussed amongst certain circles and a solution has come from this.  A contest will take place to choose the official banner of BoBS.

The contest will commence forthwith and will conclude midnight anywhere in the world October 2 619. (5 weeks)

The deadline has been extended to the 16th.

Cat A is now closed but we will keep Cat B open till Nov 13

There will be two sub catagories for the contest and you may enter both.

[LOGO CAT A]  - Eurobricks BoBS themed top banner (800w x 100h) for use at the top of the BoBS forum page.

This should be interesting enough to be seen daily by our active players.

[LOGO CAT B]  - BoBS Game Advertising (800w x 600h minimum) for use on ClassicPirates.com, social media.

This should be eye catching and exciting the goal is to draw new players.

The Rules:

• Entries should be of high resolution and excellent photo quality of appropriate size for choosen catagory.
  • Entries should illustrate the main aspects of the game through scenes with representative minifigures without favouring any one faction (all four should be equally represented.  Natives may also be included)
  • Both digital and physical builds will be considered, however digital builds should be properly rendered.
  • Original artwork will also be allowed as long as it meets all these mentioned points.
  • Graphic enhancement such as touching or adding effects (such as Photoshop) will be allowed as well.
  • Entries should have visual interest to draw a non-player to come and check out the game.
  • Overall presentation quality is important, as this will represent BoBS to the rest of the world!

The banner(s) will be displayed on Classic-Pirates.com, social media, and Eurobricks so keep them appropriate for all audiences!

The creator(s) of the winning banners will be awarded with a special tag here on Eurobricks to be displayed below their user name and the satisfaction of being the BoBS logo designer! tag-BoBS-winner.png 

When submitting an entry please label them as "[LOGO]" or " in the title and link them here in this thread, also please list which catagory the picture is for.

Judging: Entries will be reviewed for compliance then posted to a public poll in the weeks following the contest.

some clarification from questions:

The cat A is for the eb top page to replace the bunnies yes lol (if you scroll to the bottom of the page you can change the theme to rid yourself of bunnies lol).  The intention was to have a banner displayed at the top of the forum (similar to the technic subforum)

The cat B is more of a larger picture for use more outside eb to draw players.  Think of this more like box art on a lego set or video game ... Something that makes you want to Play.

There is no requirement to enter both cat ... You can enter either A or B or Both as long as your image fits the size and quality.

The images do not need to be vector art (but can be)  a scene built out of legos would be just as acceptable. Feel free to build multiple scenes and photo edit them into one.  If your artistic frel free to draw or paint.  Really as long as its creative and well represents the game it could be any medium as long as we dont mislead people.

Official Entries Thus Far:

CAT A:

LM71Blackbird

Draft3

Kai NRG

BoBS%20Logo%20Minifigures,%20take%202.jp

Kurigan

BoBS-Banner-800-x-100-001_zpsgk7kf7ls.jp

CAT B:

Both categories are more about creating an image to give the BoBS subforum some sort of own identity, but it doesn't really say anything about a logo as such specifically. Is a logo required to participate in one of both categories or can you also just build and make a cool header?

I for one would love to try my hand at a logo as well, but I can imagine some people who have no access to - or knowledge of - vector-based design software (or Photoshop and the likes) would abstain from the contest because an actual logo is required. Perhaps an extra category 'C' is possible, solely for the design of the logo itself? Just spilling my thoughts here :classic:.

I think it is a great thing to do this - the result will be a boon to this community for sure! :thumbup:

Sadly I completely suck at all things image editing, so will sit this one out.

I kind of agree with Khorne that it would be nice to have a separate category for the logo proper, if a logo is desired (the terms logo and banner seem to have been used interchangeably so I admit to being a little confused).  To make my meaning clear, the current banner has the EB logo, a 2x2 blue brick surrounded by stars, on it, and then the actual banner which has lots of weird stuff like honeybees and rabbits dressed in old peoples' vests.  Of course entrants could try to design both a logo and a banner, but there's no particular reason why the person who designs the best logo would also design the best banner (a logo is more abstract and needs more photoshop skill, whereas the banner needs someone with good photography and building skills), so by dividing it up, we might get a better end result. :pir-wink:

As Khorne said, some of us who feel competent to design a LEGO banner would hesitate to tackle a logo, speaking for myself here. :pir-grin:

Please look at the two categories, rather than focus on the "logo" word.

We will look at adjusting the text, but focus on the categories. They should be clear :)

46 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Now, can we use photos found on google or does the entire 'logo' need to be ours from start to finish?

@Bregir, @Roadmonkeytj

It needs to be original work, which is a fine line to thread.

But using something found online as part or inspiration will probably be OK.

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

:pir-grin:  Okay.  I'll forget my English prejudices as to the difference between logo and banner.  Hope I can come up with something worthy of the game!

40 minutes ago, Bregir said:

It needs to be original work, which is a fine line to thread.

But using something found online as part or inspiration will probably be OK.

Perfect. Works for me. Thanks for the clarification!

@Khorne @Kai NRG @Darnok @LM71Blackbird

like Bregir said don't be hung up by the word "logo"

The cat A is for the eb top page to replace the bunnies yes lol (if you scroll to the bottom of the page you can change the theme to rid yourself of bunnies lol).  The intention was to have a banner displayed at the top of the forum (similar to the technic subforum)

The cat B is more of a larger picture for use more outside eb to draw players.  Think of this more like box art on a lego set or video game ... Something that makes you want to Play.

There is no requirement to enter both cat ... You can enter either A or B or Both as long as your image fits the size and quality.

The images do not need to be vector art (but can be)  a scene built out of legos would be just as acceptable. Feel free to build multiple scenes and photo edit them into one.  If your artistic frel free to draw or paint.  Really as long as its creative and well represents the game it could be any medium as long as we dont mislead people.

To answer the google question.  As long as the image is not copywrited or watermarked it should be fine.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

9 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

(if you scroll to the bottom of the page you can change the theme to rid yourself of bunnies lol)

Oh sweet, I thought the old pirate theme was gone forever but there it is!  Yay!

2 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Can a simple gif file be posted for the banner? This could unlock some great possibilities for some people who know how to use Adobe After Effects and would be much better eye candy for users.

Yes but not animated ... Static images only.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:06 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

(if you scroll to the bottom of the page you can change the theme to rid yourself of bunnies lol).

I was aware of the different thems, just not that we had a new "Pirates 2019" one. So cool! Thanks for pointing this out, even by accident. Still getting used to it, but this is so much better than before already. :wub:

On 8/28/2019 at 10:51 PM, Bregir said:

We will look at adjusting the text, but focus on the categories. They should be clear :)

On 8/29/2019 at 6:06 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

@Khorne @Kai NRG @Darnok @LM71Blackbird

like Bregir said don't be hung up by the word "logo"

The cat A is for the eb top page to replace the bunnies yes lol (if you scroll to the bottom of the page you can change the theme to rid yourself of bunnies lol).  The intention was to have a banner displayed at the top of the forum (similar to the technic subforum)

The cat B is more of a larger picture for use more outside eb to draw players.  Think of this more like box art on a lego set or video game ... Something that makes you want to Play.

There is no requirement to enter both cat ... You can enter either A or B or Both as long as your image fits the size and quality.

The images do not need to be vector art (but can be)  a scene built out of legos would be just as acceptable. Feel free to build multiple scenes and photo edit them into one.  If your artistic frel free to draw or paint.  Really as long as its creative and well represents the game it could be any medium as long as we dont mislead people.

To answer the google question.  As long as the image is not copywrited or watermarked it should be fine.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Okay great! Thanks for the clarification :classic:.

I think this deserves a little more attention. A bit more than ten days to go!

Edited by Darnok

@Khorne @Kai NRG 

15 hours ago, Darnok said:

I think this deserves a little more attention. A bit more than ten days to go!

12 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Only 10 to go!?!? I gotta finish mine soon!

Thats correct time is drawing to a close ... All of you have expressed interest is this still the case? Is the deadline something y'all can reasonably make?

48 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

@Khorne @Kai NRG 

Thats correct time is drawing to a close ... All of you have expressed interest is this still the case? Is the deadline something y'all can reasonably make?

I should be able to finish my design in the week and a half deadline. I got a pretty good start so now I just need to put the rest of the pieces together!

I haven't started yet but don't extend the deadline because I'll just wait longer.  :tongue: