I got this parts today (without set, can't say anything about support) and discovered these CV-joints don't rotate flawlessly like their predecessors (because they are made in such way). So, I even expect and hope these parts will get some 'damage' for the less-friction usage.

Back to the new CV joint. I think that operational damage to this element is very much in demand. Why? Many mechanisms use this solution. The expensive and complicated element is connected to the rest of the system with a weaker connector. In order for it to be destroyed in a critical situation, a cheap link is exchanged and not an expensive mechanism. In this case, we have exactly the same situation. The point is not to damage the planetary gear.

1 hour ago, Samolot said:

Back to the new CV joint. I think that operational damage to this element is very much in demand. Why? Many mechanisms use this solution. The expensive and complicated element is connected to the rest of the system with a weaker connector. In order for it to be destroyed in a critical situation, a cheap link is exchanged and not an expensive mechanism. In this case, we have exactly the same situation. The point is not to damage the planetary gear.

Well, If they really intended to do that, they should at least have included 3 spare connectors per wheel. There is no point in using parts meant to be replaced,  without including spares.

Edited by Gray Gear

On 9/4/2019 at 8:31 PM, suffocation said:

It appears someone at TLG "found" a hub with a different part number (:hmpf_bad:), so my replacement should be on its way.

Can you give use the partnumber when you received the new hub?

6 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Well, If they really intended to do that, they should at least have included 3 spare connectors per wheel. Otherwhise makes no sense

It has sens . Especialy when you send them broken parts to replace. Cv joint instead of planetary hub.

2 minutes ago, Samolot said:

It has sens . Especialy when you send them broken parts to replace. Cv joint instead of planetary hub.

They will replace broken parts? Not for free tho right? Otherwhise they'd get a nice little package from me :laugh_hard:

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

They will replace broken parts? Not for free tho right? Otherwhise they'd get a nice little package from me :laugh_hard:

Most people will not demand replacement of a damaged cv joint to lego. But if the planetray hub broke, many would decide. The element is complex and closed so they would consider it broken due to the fault of the manufacturer.

And the replacement gives them useful information, when it is send back, how the part broke down.

Hesitant to revive this thread but anyway here goes...

I've had my 42099 built as Rocky by @Didumos69 for a while and been sending it up and down some steep and very rocky slopes. It almost never stalls the motor but plenty of times it's had all 4 tyres skipping. Even with locked differentials, those joints are still working fine. Sure there is some wear evident, but only on the softer light grey "sacrificial" part. I'm using it way outside what it's meant for, and it's doing well enough. I'm pretty sure the way I've been using it, it would have spat out a whole bunch of cardan joints by now.