I don't believe even for a fraction of a second that TLG is making plant based plastics for anything good except their bottom line and I am wary of any such parts.

I already have a ton of cables (old mindstorms) that are desintegrating and I am not happy at all about it. There is nothing green about making parts that self-destroy forcing you to buy new parts, but hey it's good for selling new parts.

Those parts used of the CV joints are that kind of plastic that isn't that hard or rigid as regular bricks, and watching them getting easily damaged doesn't help a bit with my current lack of trust of recently manufactured parts.

So blame design or manufacturing I just know that my 40 year old parts seem to be holding way better than many recent parts.

And I lost count of the many reboots of Spiderman...  ffs.

@TeamThrifty thank you :) 

but if you think Lego have money to throw out, Why would Lego make a commitment to sugar based and release a new element that is not sugar based and then need to retool the molds for a sugar based part??? That is throwing money out the door.. 

Edited by sirslayer

There's no way TLG would pass the opportunity to make it a big deal in marketing if they were able to replace traditional ABS with plant-based alternatives. For this, if nothing else, I'm quite sure there's no sugarcane or whatever in Technic parts.

When Nasa landed the first man on the moon (Rockwell built) ... some said this is impossible ..  Lego the biggest and important toy company in the world.. I believe the trials and errors of the program has finished and the capital (money) Lego invested had successfully executed on track and Like Nasa to put the first man on the moon.. In sugarcane chemistry, I believe Lego is in the phase like the Apollo 8 level before the event!! and not to forget to vote on Eurobricks.com TC 16 contest 

Edited by sirslayer
`Grammar.. my keyboard needs replacement

Just for laughs, I will make up a story....   Don't Zero pictures looks like someone sprinkle sugar over them??     I do see fine graduals .. lol   ( please don't take it personal)  

Next is a damage done to a CV joint by an old XL motor at some 25 degrees when stalled:

800x600.jpg

Finally I checked my Wildcat which uses the new hubs.

The hubs at the rear axle are at some 20 degree angle, here's what happened to the rear wheel drive ones. Mind you, they are powered directly by an RC motor without any additional gearing:

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Finally I checked the front CV joints, which when steered use the maximum angle the joint allows:

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Edited by sirslayer
spelling... is not my style

17 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Most lolz thread in a while.  :thumbup:

Want my pictures of the old CV joints with the lugs twisted off?  :wink:

Was it on normal use or were you pushing out insane torque with multiple XL motors?

Something not strictly related to CV joints but definitely indicative of the direction TLG is going in.

I eventually relented and bought 42099 from Amazon DE, since they were letting it go for a decent price. I tried the new bluetooth/battery hub and motors and it turns out channels A & B on the hub don't work. I contacted customer service requesting a replacement part and was just told that the part isn't available and they have CANCELLED my request.

Is this what TLG has come to? Even at a great discount the set was still bloody expensive and the least I could expect was to have everything working or at least count on TLG to replace any flawed parts, even if it means waiting until they restock. But to have my request cancelled is an insult.

58 minutes ago, Mechbuilds said:

Lego has gone downhill.. 

They're trying desperately to remain relevant in today's stare-at-your-smartphone world. That's the problem.

7 hours ago, suffocation said:

Something not strictly related to CV joints but definitely indicative of the direction TLG is going in.

I eventually relented and bought 42099 from Amazon DE, since they were letting it go for a decent price. I tried the new bluetooth/battery hub and motors and it turns out channels A & B on the hub don't work. I contacted customer service requesting a replacement part and was just told that the part isn't available and they have CANCELLED my request.

Is this what TLG has come to? Even at a great discount the set was still bloody expensive and the least I could expect was to have everything working or at least count on TLG to replace any flawed parts, even if it means waiting until they restock. But to have my request cancelled is an insult.

Well that is bad but one data point a pattern does not make.

54 minutes ago, allanp said:

Well that is bad but one data point a pattern does not make.

How about the fact that B&P was down for ages, then they put it back up but payments wouldn't go through so now it's down again?

How about the fact that if you contact customer support in a language other than English, such as Italian, you get almost unintelligible answers?

22 hours ago, suffocation said:

Wouldn't Amazon be the first one to contact?

5 minutes ago, Andman said:

TLG used to have a policy that if you have a receipt from any store, they would send you a new part for free if one part was missing or damaged. 
Their whole motto was to give people only the best quality. 

22 minutes ago, Andman said:

Wouldn't that be a huge waste of my time since I'd have to tear down the model, repackage it and queue at the post office just because TLG can't be arsed to send me a replacement that is bound to cost them south of a dozen euros?

In any case, if TLG want me to contact Amazon then why don't they say it instead of resorting to the prepackaged and frankly pathetic (it wasn't an order, it was a replacement request) " The LEGO® bricks listed below were more popular than we expected. Unfortunately, they're no longer available, so we've had to cancel them from your order. We're really sorry about this disappointing news."?

Edited by suffocation

8 minutes ago, Andman said:

I'm not sure when ordering from Amazon DE and deliver in Italy if the return process is as easy as when you order from your own country.

If you don't get positive answer from LEGO, you could still buy a second set on Amazon IT and return the defective hub to them, asking for refund but that's definitely not fair-play.

Don't get me wrong. I was just suggesting Amazon to get a replacement. Depending on the laws in your country, Amazon should be responsible.

But still... I recently had a chat with Legos customer support and they told me that they guarantee replacement of broken parts for 2 year after release of a set. So I'm of course wondering why the order was cancelled (instead of delayed due to stock shortage).

19 minutes ago, suffocation said:

Wouldn't that be a huge waste of my time since I'd have to tear down the model, repackage it and queue at the post office just because TLG can't be arsed to send me a replacement that is bound to cost them south of a dozen euros?

In any case, if TLG want me to contact Amazon then why don't they say it instead of resorting to the prepackaged and frankly pathetic (it wasn't an order, it was a replacement request) " The LEGO® bricks listed below were more popular than we expected. Unfortunately, they're no longer available, so we've had to cancel them from your order. We're really sorry about this disappointing news."?

Of course it would be a hassle. I totally understand your position/opinion.

@suffocation did you try to contact customer service after the cancellation for further clarification? I can imagine that someone simply messed it up and thought that it is an order instead of the replacement request. 

18 minutes ago, kbalage said:

@suffocation did you try to contact customer service after the cancellation for further clarification? I can imagine that someone simply messed it up and thought that it is an order instead of the replacement request. 

I did and got no further answer. I wasn't even expecting one because their stock answer sounded like an excuse - there's no chance the hub isn't going to be available again, and as far as I know if they can't fulfil an order they offer an alternative solution.

On a brighter note, I managed to cook up this live axle (needs A LOT of tweaking but it's a start) using the new hubs and CV joints. Mounting the servo directly on the axle really cuts down the play and offsets the need for dual steering racks. In terms of steering angle, the new joints are a huge improvement over the old ones. It'll be interesting to see how well they handle a 4.5 kg model.

800x585.jpg

Edited by suffocation

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

I did and got no further answer. I wasn't even expecting one because their stock answer sounded like an excuse - there's no chance the hub isn't going to be available again, and as far as I know if they can't fulfil an order they offer an alternative solution.

On a brighter note, I managed to cook up this live axle (needs A LOT of tweaking but it's a start) using the new hubs and CV joints. Mounting the servo directly on the axle really cuts down the play and offsets the need for dual steering racks. In terms of steering angle, the new joints are a huge improvement over the old ones. It'll be interesting to see how well they handle a 4.5 kg model.

800x585.jpg

Via phone? I'm chatting with Lego customer support. They recommend to call the support and also wrote that it might happen that replacements for the hub and the motors will be available after launch of 42100.

I do not get it. When I go to the Dutch Lego site and there I can report all broken parts from 42099. Even hubs and motors. The only thing is that they are not in stock and that they will make contact with you to replace it as soon as possible.

Times like this is a good excuse to buy the Lego 42099!!!   But I will get in trouble!!  So far english only support, 2 years warranty and a hand full of broken parts...