Sign in to follow this  
JanetVanD

[MOC] Home of the Baba Yaga

I hope this is the right forum for this MOC. I figured the Baba Yaga is historical in a legendary sort of way.......

Deeply rooted in old Slavic folklore, the Baba Yaga is as mysterious as she is terrifying. Tales vary as to who and what she really is, but most agree that the Baba Yaga is an old hag who dwells deep in the forest in a magical hut on chicken legs. She feeds on unwary humans, and her home is adorned with their skeletal remains.

This LEGO® depiction is comprised of 5,148 pieces, took 12 days to design & create and was completed in August 2019.

When I saw the title, I thought you meant John Wick :iamded_lol::iamded_lol:

Anyway, this build is amazing! I love the  Baba Yaga  build herself, and all the little details like the Bone Pot are amazing!

Give yourself a big pat on the back, this is awesome

Awesome job.  I love the legs on the house.  The house overall has nice texture and the roof is great.  The landscaping and the trees are nicely done.  I also like the lighting in the photos, gives some nice shading.  Your character Baba Yaga looks pretty cool too.  What pieces did you use for his eyes.  

What a beautiful scenery! I really love the colors used. I also like how you chose to make it bigger than minifig scale, it works so well here! :thumbup: :laugh:

This is cool. I like how the forest surround the home.
The skeleton body is interesting because is not in scale. This means she is taller than a normal human or is the body of some smaller creature?

1 hour ago, The APhOL said:

The skeleton body is interesting because is not in scale. This means she is taller than a normal human or is the body of some smaller creature?

It's a little more gruesome than that, actually, for it is known that the Baba Yaga eats children......

10 hours ago, JanetVanD said:

It's a little more gruesome than that, actually, for it is known that the Baba Yaga eats children......

I suspected it but I wasn't sure :laugh:

thanks for the confirmation!

On 8/28/2019 at 9:38 PM, JanetVanD said:

Cool, more Lego for us grownups.

Fantastic rendition of the myth! I have seen minifig scale versions of it, but not larger than that. Baba Yaga has a lot of character, thanks to the pose and the nose (I couldn't resist t let that rhyme). The terrain with it's textures, muted colours and moreover the large number of big trees really make the scene. Additionally, putting both the hut and the cauldron at an angle helps to make it feel even more natural. :thumbup: The hut itself looks superb, btw. 

I do have a few questions. First of all, is there no photo showing the whole build; is it not meant to be viewed in its entirety? Also, how is the hut held up, as it doesn't seem that the legs and the ladder carry that weight? And lastly, how could you so accurately determine how many pieces are in the build, did you make it in LDD first or did you painstakingly keep count? 

Keep up the good work, Janet! :thumbup:

20 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I do have a few questions. First of all, is there no photo showing the whole build; is it not meant to be viewed in its entirety? Also, how is the hut held up, as it doesn't seem that the legs and the ladder carry that weight? And lastly, how could you so accurately determine how many pieces are in the build, did you make it in LDD first or did you painstakingly keep count? 

Keep up the good work, Janet! :thumbup:

Between all the photos, almost 95% of the model is visible. I deliberately kept the edges out of the picture to aid the "deep in the forest" atmosphere. Viewers at exhibitions can, of course, see the entirety.

The legs do actually support the weight of the hut on their own. the stacked tyres hide a surprisingly strong technic construction of axles and axle connectors which slot into the base. However, the balance is a bit precarious so the ladder acts as a stabiliser.

Yes, I do painstakingly keep count of each piece! (I'm not tech-minded enough to consider using any digital design tools) I know it seems obsessive but I got into the habit of keeping count when doing commissioned builds, (to help keep track of costs) and now I do it almost automatically, jotting down the totals at the end of each building session. :laugh:

This is really well made! The texture that those tires create on the legs is just perfect for chicken legs, and the whole thing is super well constructed, great photos too!

On 9/21/2019 at 10:56 AM, JanetVanD said:

Between all the photos, almost 95% of the model is visible. I deliberately kept the edges out of the picture to aid the "deep in the forest" atmosphere. Viewers at exhibitions can, of course, see the entirety.

The legs do actually support the weight of the hut on their own. the stacked tyres hide a surprisingly strong technic construction of axles and axle connectors which slot into the base. However, the balance is a bit precarious so the ladder acts as a stabiliser.

Yes, I do painstakingly keep count of each piece! (I'm not tech-minded enough to consider using any digital design tools) I know it seems obsessive but I got into the habit of keeping count when doing commissioned builds, (to help keep track of costs) and now I do it almost automatically, jotting down the totals at the end of each building session. :laugh:

That's three times the answer I less expected, awesome! :laugh: That sure makes it all the more impressive! :thumbup: