johnnym

[WIP] [Mod/MOC] Phaedra Palomino Mach 2

Hi there,

here's another car in the scale of the 42093 Corvette that could work fine with the 42098 set, the...

Phaedra Palomino Mach 2

02.JPG10.JPG13.JPG17.JPG25.JPG

360° view on http://pub.clusterd.net/lego/technic/mocs/phaedra-palomino-mach-2/v2/

It's derived from the V10 Muscle car (further "back story" on

...) and I consider it pretty final, except for the head lights. I think the size is fine with the latest pictures, but I still want to try some alternatives. A 2 x 2 round tile really looks too big, although the real car indeed had big lights. ATM I'm using a trans-clear round tile on a dark tan axle w/stop and stud through the back of a 12 tooth bevel gear fixed to a round plate w/axle hole. Any suggestions for head lights of similar size? I believe the head lights from the 8422 set could work, but I then have to redesign the front a little bit.

The car has some unusual (or illegal) connections for the rear lights, but it was the only way I came up with to get that small space between the three separate lights on each side. It's hard to explain in text, so please wait for the digital model.

Oh, nearly forgot, as I needed the roof of the fastback version on another car, I made a cabriolet version, too:01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG

Motorization

This model could be motorized much easier than the muscle car due to the elevated rear. I assume a PF L motor can be easily fitted there, even more if the differential is removed.

Hope you like it.

P.S.

I am currently experiencing slow download speeds from my web server. If you also see this (i.e. slow loading pictures, especially for the 360° views), please let me know. I might then resort to bricksafe for hosting the pictures.

Wow, this MOC proves that it's possible to create amazing Technic cars at this scale! It looks really clean, and the design of the front and rear is recognizable. :thumbup:

I finished the digital model, here you go:

phaedra-palomino-mach-2.jpg

Studio, LDraw

On 8/27/2019 at 4:59 AM, ExeSandbox said:

Wow, this MOC proves that it's possible to create amazing Technic cars at this scale! It looks really clean, and the design of the front and rear is recognizable. :thumbup:

Thank you very much. Indeed it seems to be a recognizable car: I yesterday showed my currently built collection of cars to a friend of mine at a public place and a stranger went by pointing at this car: "Hey, a Mustang!". :laugh:

Edited by johnnym
Added rendered picture

9 hours ago, johnnym said:

I yesterday showed my currently built collection of cars to a friend of mine at a public place...

At a public place? What did you do? Throw them all in a Backpack or a Box and just take them with you:laugh_hard:? I guess that would be possible when building at such a small scale.

23 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

At a public place? What did you do? Throw them all in a Backpack or a Box and just take them with you:laugh_hard:? I guess that would be possible when building at such a small scale.

You're close: I needed a flat surface to also drive my motorized models and the lobby of that "public" place (a university building) was ideal for that. As students have vacation currently, it also was practically empty and most important it was an indoor place, so better for my IR controls and receivers. Sounds funny? Well, yes, it was fun to have such a big space for driving.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:33 PM, Sylvainnnm said:

Really love this one  :)

Thanks! It's also my favorite of my cars in that scale ATM. :classic:

On 8/26/2019 at 11:18 PM, johnnym said:

Motorization

This model could be motorized much easier than the muscle car due to the elevated rear. I assume a PF L motor can be easily fitted there, even more if the differential is removed.

Just now finished a preliminary RC version of the Palomino. I indeed did remove the differential and installed a single PF L motor for propulsion. Gearing is the same as for my buggy: 28z => 20z => 12z. Steering is done by a PF Servo motor. It's powered by a BuWizz. Feels quick inside.

Wow, that 28z gear is really useful! :classic:

Will post pictures later this week.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:19 PM, johnnym said:

Will post pictures later this week.

Sorry, bad weather => no pictures. :hmpf_bad:

But I have created two new paint jobs for the Palomino:

Red with white stripes:

phaedra-palomino-mach-2_red.jpg

Studio, LDraw

Red with a little more black:

phaedra-palomino-mach-2_red_black.jpg

Studio, LDraw

Two pictures showing the quick & dirty propulsion of the motorized version:

P1010009.JPGP1010008.JPG

The PF L motor is only fixed at the bottom front - so far no issues after a some driving inside, but I should fix it more firmly.

Hi johnnym

As i see your different model of small muscle car I'd like to make it RC...

After a few days here i am with a motorized version of your car.revisited to make it with what i have as inventory...

The mine is powered by buwizz and it work on the outside on the road...

It's Driving by 1 L Motor and steering by one m motor  (with an x928cx1 coupled to the m motor)

it works very well and there is no problem with the Wheelarch to turn left or right because i've modified some of your initial design. But it keeps the most of it and it's still a muscle car anyway… I will probably make it on LDD to share.

Thanks for sharing the picture of yours that inspired me.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/miata92/mod-rc-muscle-car

Edited by miata92

@miata92: Thanks for the credits, though I think you better refer to my V10 muscle car thread instead from the looks of your RC muscle car.

BTW, great that you managed to get it motorized, I had some doubts I could find enough space in mine. what gearing do you use for propulsion? I see ?? => 8z and 12z => 12z - most likely ?? is a 24z, right?

About the steering, what was the problem with my design - actually pretty much identical to the 42093 Corvette's one - there? Will wider wheels also work at the front with your design? I had a similar steering solution in another car - i.e. PF M motor and hockey spring - but when used with my BuWizz it often shut off power (I assume due to stall protection), hence I went back to PF Servo motor.

The sideskirt solution looks interesting, I think I'll try that with small modifications on my Palomino.

A digital version of your MOC/Mod really would be great for studying your design.

Edited by johnnym
forgot something

On 11/1/2019 at 4:31 PM, johnnym said:

@miata92: Thanks for the credits, though I think you better refer to my V10 muscle car thread instead from the looks of your RC muscle car.

BTW, great that you managed to get it motorized, I had some doubts I could find enough space in mine. what gearing do you use for propulsion? I see ?? => 8z and 12z => 12z - most likely ?? is a 24z, right?

About the steering, what was the problem with my design - actually pretty much identical to the 42093 Corvette's one - there? Will wider wheels also work at the front with your design? I had a similar steering solution in another car - i.e. PF M motor and hockey spring - but when used with my BuWizz it often shut off power (I assume due to stall protection), hence I went back to PF Servo motor.

The sideskirt solution looks interesting, I think I'll try that with small modifications on my Palomino.

A digital version of your MOC/Mod really would be great for studying your design.

Good evening 

the  digital version is on bricksafe now. No wheels arch in ldd too bad… The 2 translucid pink items replace the "hockey spring".