Cylo

[WIP] [MOC] Malevolence

Hello all,

I am currently working on the Malevolence as seen in the clone wars, this is the first big build I am doing.

Comments and criticism are welcome!

malevolence wip 1malevolence wip 2

That looks like a fun project. Are you making it up from scratch, or taking inspiration from some other source? Will you try and build it in real bricks eventually?

2 hours ago, Retro said:

That looks like a fun project. Are you making it up from scratch, or taking inspiration from some other source? Will you try and build it in real bricks eventually?

Yes it is! The curves of the ship are a challenge to build. Currently I have not found any other Malevolence MOCs within the same scale so this is a completely original build.

If I ever want to build it with real bricks the dark blue pieces would be a problem since they are much rarer or even not available.

5 hours ago, Flieger said:

I hope your project progresses well! The Malevolence is a great ship and your approach looks promising.

Thank you! Currently working on the proportions of the front, I made it a little too short.

Update: Added the bottom and adjusted the front bridge and gun positions. Also started the cityscape thing under the front bit.

Now just trying to connect the ion cannons to the ship, although it's a bit complicated...

malevolence wip 3

Cool, the Malevolence is a set I wanted years ago but couldn't afford. Plus it's small

On 10/3/2019 at 1:28 AM, Reaper said:

Thank you! Currently working on the proportions of the front, I made it a little too short.

hey, have you finished this MOC?? really interested in seeing the final result and buying the instructions. thanks!!

7 hours ago, AhTheNegotiator said:

hey, have you finished this MOC?? really interested in seeing the final result and buying the instructions. thanks!!

Hello, I'm currently at a standstill at the moment, might pick it back up later but haven't made much progress really

3 hours ago, Reaper said:

Hello, I'm currently at a standstill at the moment, might pick it back up later but haven't made much progress really

very sad to hear, well hopefully you do pick it back up and finish it. good luck

On 4/3/2020 at 3:02 PM, AhTheNegotiator said:

very sad to hear, well hopefully you do pick it back up and finish it. good luck

Picked it back up! Here's an update, it's around twice the length of the lego set :)

malevolence wip 2 and comparison

Edited by Reaper

Glad to see you're continuing this project! Despite being a massive untertaking, do you have any plans to build it IRL if you're happy with the digital version? 

7 hours ago, Brick-Wombat said:

Glad to see you're continuing this project! Despite being a massive untertaking, do you have any plans to build it IRL if you're happy with the digital version? 

Yeah I'd definitely like to build it irl! Problem is some of the dark blue parts don't exist so it could be a problem in the future.

On 4/12/2020 at 5:56 AM, Reaper said:

Yeah I'd definitely like to build it irl! Problem is some of the dark blue parts don't exist so it could be a problem in the future.

have you made a bricklist yet for everything needed??

ill just paint the pieces if some are that hard to get or outrageously priced ol, i have 9 dishes for a MOC im working on that sell for 30-45$ each, no way im paying that so i baught a random color and will paint them.

39 minutes ago, AhTheNegotiator said:

have you made a bricklist yet for everything needed??

ill just paint the pieces if some are that hard to get or outrageously priced ol, i have 9 dishes for a MOC im working on that sell for 30-45$ each, no way im paying that so i baught a random color and will paint them.

No, I haven't yet. Still need to work out how to build the other half of the ship :P

In the end I'll try to make all the colours available though

Heres an update

malevolence wip 4

Minor update, moved the secondary bridge back a bit and now its sitting at 162 studs long.

Malevolence Update

15 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Awesome job, how many pieces is it sitting at?

Currently at 2500 parts but thats just the shell around the front, it's mostly hollow on the inside. Due to all the weird shapes of the ship I'm thinking there won't be much space left inside when its finished.

Thinking of having a major rework to the ship. Not really happy with the curve at the front and thinking of using raskolnikov's solution for his mon calamari cruiser, although I'm not sure I would be able to accomplish such feat :/. Might rework the front inside cityscape as well.

Here's a render of the front

Malevolence

Edited by Reaper

I have to admit that your first several wip posts didn't get me excited one bit. It looked to me like one of these digital attempts taking on a massive build with size being the primary focus and any sort of quality lacking far behind :blush: And, frankly, looking up close it still looks somewhat hodge-podged together. But from the distance, it seems like everything blends in really well and the shapes work out nice. The overall shots already look pretty cool and it seems like if you carry on with the good proportions, it may actually turn into an impressive model!

56 minutes ago, Kristof said:

I have to admit that your first several wip posts didn't get me excited one bit. It looked to me like one of these digital attempts taking on a massive build with size being the primary focus and any sort of quality lacking far behind :blush: And, frankly, looking up close it still looks somewhat hodge-podged together. But from the distance, it seems like everything blends in really well and the shapes work out nice. The overall shots already look pretty cool and it seems like if you carry on with the good proportions, it may actually turn into an impressive model!

Wow. With praise like that I'd definitely feel encouraged to "carry on".

@jdubbs Well, I don't know if my comment reads all negative or what but it was not meant to be. I sure hope no hard feelings taken on @Reaper's side. I commented because I was impressed by the progress, which I did not really anticipate after seeing the first post a while back :) Perhaps it sounds a bit like some self-proclaimed guru have spoken? Idk... maybe I have a talent for making controversial comments, this wouldn't be the first time. Perhaps I need to learn how to just type down an unconditional 'awesome!' and move along :D