Hello Pirates fans,

Like many of you I can't stop loving the old Classic models so I wanted to rebuild this one but using modern parts, that because I wanted people, who don't own vintage parts, to be able to enjoy the model. To share my creation, I created building instructions with partslist and stickers (not everybody has those rare parts) and put them on my website. You can find get them for free at this adress :

Saber Island Redux Instructions

I did my best to respect the classic style and introduce new colors and parts, hope you'll enjoy the model.

Don't hesitate to tell me what you think, please.

Now go building :laugh:

Sabre%20Island%2000_page_01.jpg

Ahhhh Baron, good to see you're still at it! 

This is indeed a splendid update to an old classic...  but fleshtone minifigures? I'm not sure if I can abide those myself :pir_laugh2:

And perhaps this topic would get more attention in the Pirate MOC Forum...  since technically it's a MOD of an existing set...  or is it?

2 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Ahhhh Baron, good to see you're still at it! 

This is indeed a splendid update to an old classic...  but fleshtone minifigures? I'm not sure if I can abide those myself :pir_laugh2:

And perhaps this topic would get more attention in the Pirate MOC Forum...  since technically it's a MOD of an existing set...  or is it?

Yes, I'm still alive and building but apparently I'm rusty as I posted in the wrong section of forum, you're right it's a MOC, can you please fix that for me? Pleased you like the model, I know that the purists prefer yellow but I prefer to use the color flesh is personal ;)

That looks amazing! I love the color you used for the water (is it Medium Blue?) and the colors you used for the tower! I think that the technique you used for the palm tree is pretty ingenious. Not only are those new parts, but the fact that it's on a clip is useful. Personally, the old palm trees always fall off on some of my old sets so this is something I love. The railings are great, the landscaping is great, and the minifigures are great. Well done! :thumbup:

Also, I just love the fact that you used flesh heads that hold a similar style to the originals. The flesh smile and Obi-Wan's head really match the old ones!

Edited by The Neighborhood Merchant

2 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

That looks amazing! I love the color you used for the water (is it Medium Blue?) and the colors you used for the tower! I think that the technique you used for the palm tree is pretty ingenious. Not only are those new parts, but the fact that it's on a clip is useful. Personally, the old palm trees always fall off on some of my old sets so this is something I love. The railings are great, the landscaping is great, and the minifigures are great. Well done! :thumbup:

Also, I just love the fact that you used flesh heads that hold a similar style to the originals. The flesh smile and Obi-Wan's head really match the old ones!

Thanks for your kind and detailled comments, that's very important to me. The color of the "water" is Bright Light Blue (following Bricklink description). You check that and all the rest on my page, which link is at the beginning of my post. The old palmtrees were nice and I have tons of them but I told myself that everyone was not in this case, so how to make a palm tree when we do not have this vintage piece? well, "voilà"! And yes the fact that it's attached with a clip allows to place it on small surface, even vertical.
Pleased to see I'm not alone and there are some other "flesh tones" lovers and that you noticed I use the basic/classic face so it's moden but no too much :laugh: The Obi Wan face look so classic that I couldn't pass, even if it has a headset under the tricorne... time and multiverse travel involved. *oh2*

Hey! This is really good! Since I'm a whippersnapper on these boards, I didn't have the classic lines when I was a kid. But reboots like this moc do warm my heart a little!

Do you have any other modern-renderings of old sets?

MAC

11 hours ago, iammac said:

Hey! This is really good! Since I'm a whippersnapper on these boards, I didn't have the classic lines when I was a kid. But reboots like this moc do warm my heart a little!

Do you have any other modern-renderings of old sets?

MAC

Pleased you like it and the old school spirit. Good you don't have parts from those classic set you can build this model and tell me what you think, that would be great.

Yes I re-built Eldorado Fortress too but haven't published it in this forum... need to fix that.

Great look for this revisited set, i've played so much with the old one (and still have it!).

The only thing that does not convince me are the minifigs with flesh color. They look "out of place" to me. Why did you choose that color?

47 minutes ago, The APhOL said:

Great look for this revisited set, i've played so much with the old one (and still have it!).

The only thing that does not convince me are the minifigs with flesh color. They look "out of place" to me. Why did you choose that color?

Thanks. It's cool you still have your original so you can compare :)

In fact I've never really likes the yellow minifigures, even when it has sense and everybody had the same face (when Lego politic was : everybody is equal so they all look the same and kids can imagine what they want) so I started to use flesh tones in the late 2000s, if I remember well. But it's not a big deal for the people who want to build my model, they just have to swap to yellow ;)

Edited by BaronSat

I notice you've opted to use red bricks rather than the printed bricks / brick decals - was there any particular reason for that choice?

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

I notice you've opted to use red bricks rather than the printed bricks / brick decals - was there any particular reason for that choice?

In fact I wanted masonry bricks in Dark red but had none in stock :grin:. Stickers would have been a nice choice, but I like and dislike them at the same time, like many Afols. Probably the days I build the model I wasn't in a sticker's mood.

Edited by BaronSat

Oh, this looks wonderful, Baron!

As soon as my Finances are in order, I conspire to purchase and download the .PDF File for your Pirate/Spanish Fort you have online!

7 hours ago, Jevil said:

Oh, this looks wonderful, Baron!

As soon as my Finances are in order, I conspire to purchase and download the .PDF File for your Pirate/Spanish Fort you have online!

Glad you like this model, it makes me happy that fans of Classic Pirates make good comments.

You're right the Spanish Island a cool model :wink:. If the partslist (.bsx or pdf ) can help you, PM me or contact me via my website and I'll send it to you with pleasure.

You did a really great job BaronSat! I like the classic 90s feel that remains from the original one, while adding the fresh touch of new colors (the light blue really rocks this MOC). If the Lego company ever released this set, it would be the best medium sized soldiers one, since the Sabres island itself.

Are you going to do some other MODs? Maybe also the other side? I would really love to see the Rock Island Refugee or the Forbiden island MODed :pir-grin: