LegoDW

Why did TLG stop offering Stormtroopers with pistols, now most just with stud shooters

Only been back into Lego a couple of years and just recently Star Wars.  Would like to build up a storm trooper army but most of  the sets and battle packs just come with oversized stud shooter guns vs the older blasts pistols.  I know TLG is still making the pistols as I got one in this set.  Checked and TLG does not offer the pistols in their bricks and pieces.  Kinda hard to get a battle pack and then source pistols from bricklink when knockoffs are available from China for less then $1.

Obviously TLG stopped offering the pistols as demand was not their but unclear why they dropped from the bricks and pieces.  Would think demand for pistols would be high with older kids and AFOLs?  

Image result for lego star wars

The stud shooters are introduced in 2014 I believe in battle packs as they act as good play features for children. I don't think they've given up on the idea yet but thankfully most normal sets dont have stud shooters. There is a petition on this: https://www.change.org/p/lego-stop-putting-stud-shooters-as-guns-in-lego-star-wars but otherwise you'll just have to buy the regaular blasters from Bricklink, which is what I do.

See 500 on petition.  Need like 10,000 (like ideas) for TLG to really notice.  How many members do we have here on this forum?  Can we hit 10,000?

At least for TLG to offer the blasters on bricks and pieces.

2 hours ago, LegoDW said:

See 500 on petition.  Need like 10,000 (like ideas) for TLG to really notice.  How many members do we have here on this forum?  Can we hit 10,000?

At least for TLG to offer the blasters on bricks and pieces.

I hope we can, although it would have to be frontpaged or something for the whole forum to notice. If they offer blasters on bricks and pieces many people would certainly buy it.

Unfortunately I don't have enough influence over TLG to make the change.  Will try spreading the word, who knows....

On 8/23/2019 at 1:20 PM, LegoDW said:

Obviously TLG stopped offering the pistols as demand was not their but unclear why they dropped from the bricks and pieces.

I wrote TLG about this issue a while back. They told me that due to their license with Lucasfilm, the blasters can only be sold in sets and not individually. 

3 hours ago, DarthsDonuts54 said:

I wrote TLG about this issue a while back. They told me that due to their license with Lucasfilm, the blasters can only be sold in sets and not individually. 

Problem is, the Lego blasters don't even look like the ones from star wars.

I get if you prefer the regular blasters to stud-shooters, but starting a change.org petition? For this?! And I thought the film-related petitions were silly :head_back:

Seriously though, replacing them is not hard. The regular-sized blaster has appeared in more than 200 sets and is dirt cheap on bricklink (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=58247&name=Minifigure, Weapon Gun, Blaster Short (SW)&category=[Minifigure, Weapon]#T=S&C=11&O={"color":11,"iconly":0}

Edit: I also find it hilarious that people complain about the blasters being replaced. Why? There was a huge outcry when the classic megaphone blasters were replaced in 2007 and now the stud-shooters, which ironically look similar to the old megaphone blasters, replace them, again resulting in resentment :snicker: George Lucas was right, it’s all like poetry

Edited by Lego-Freak

4 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I get if you prefer the regular blasters to stud-shooters, but starting a change.org petition? For this?! And I thought the film-related petitions were silly :head_back:

Exactly, that should only be used for important stuff like asking the government to build a Death Star! :vader:

Also, in my day, Lego only gave us megaphones as blasters. So even stud shooters are an improvement  for me.

Edited by Pdaitabird

Would be nice if they put both stud shooters and regular blasters in the battlepacks so you could choose which you like.

I'm sure sooner or later they'll overhaul the blasters to make them look more like the film weapons and they'll be a huge outcry.

I would like if we got 2 coloured blasters like the storm troopers had in Force Awakens