Lego David

Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

1 hour ago, Ondra said:

I kinda cannot understand obsession with Playmobil in lego community as direct competitors, I watched some april joke again as always bunch of them are again playmobil related.

In my eyes, this doesnt make sense. Lego and Playmobil are completely different toys. Lego is building toys when you can build anything you want and playmobil is roleplaying dollhouse style toy when your playthrough is mostly preset.

Yes there is one detail that makes these toys related, yes figures and minifigures hands.

Maybe it's just escaped my notice but I can't say I've seen many AFOLs treating Playmobil as a direct competitor. It's often brought up in the Historical/Pirates subforums I believe, where the breadth of Playmobil's historical sets are listed - a variety that puts Lego to shame - but whenever I've seen this, it's come with the caveat that Playmobil's product is more conducive to a wider volume of premoulded parts for single uses.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:07 AM, Alexandrina said:

Maybe it's just escaped my notice but I can't say I've seen many AFOLs treating Playmobil as a direct competitor. It's often brought up in the Historical/Pirates subforums I believe, where the breadth of Playmobil's historical sets are listed - a variety that puts Lego to shame - but whenever I've seen this, it's come with the caveat that Playmobil's product is more conducive to a wider volume of premoulded parts for single uses.

Personally I don't like the Playmobil figures and the sets don't lend to the diversity that you can do with Lego.  They do have a lot of themes but I don't see it as fun as building with bricks and minifgs are much more customizable than the playmobil figs.  

On 4/9/2022 at 1:56 PM, Peppermint_M said:

Unpopular opinion: Vidiyo introduced a lot of fun and unique figures and designs way better than recent CMF offerings, but has been highly let down by the blind-box and an app no one was into.

Something that really hurt Vidiyo was the price.

On 4/17/2022 at 12:22 PM, Peppermint_M said:

I think the price hurts all LEGO sets/themes these days!

Yes, but Vidiyo is different. To most people the value for Vidiyo is in the figures only so the £17.99 ($/€ 19.99) price for a beatbox wasn't gonna fly.

On 4/28/2022 at 6:51 AM, Agent Kallus said:

Yes, but Vidiyo is different. To most people the value for Vidiyo is in the figures only so the £17.99 ($/€ 19.99) price for a beatbox wasn't gonna fly.

It’s what kept me away from most of the minifigs I wanted, which was most of them. I finally managed to get the Alien DJ from a LEGO store a few months back for $12.99. I still regret buying the HipHop Robot for regular price but knew I was gonna get the car(which I got from the same sale as the Beatbox) eventually, I wanted to complete the group. 

Im not fan of gender neutral torsos, albeit it has many pluses like easily swapping and looking at history It was always like that.

It just feel off, for me...

6 hours ago, Ondra said:

Im not fan of gender neutral torsos, albeit it has many pluses like easily swapping and looking at history It was always like that.

It just feel off, for me...

So out of interest, which of these feel off?

cty0451.pngtwn406.pngcty0548.pngcty1128.pngcty1311.pngcty0994.pngcty0620.pngtwn358.pngcty0755.pngsoc147.pngdoc037.jpgcty0900.pngcty1402.pngcty0528.pngcty0848.png

42 minutes ago, MAB said:

So out of interest, which of these feel off?

cty0451.pngtwn406.pngcty0548.pngcty1128.pngcty1311.pngcty0994.pngcty0620.pngtwn358.pngcty0755.pngsoc147.pngdoc037.jpgcty0900.pngcty1402.pngcty0528.pngcty0848.png

But some of them have visible woman traits.

Im talking especially about this pink haired figure 60337-LEGO-Personen-Schnellzug_2.jpg

It range into confusing category, I probably dont want to be confused or kids by toy.

2 minutes ago, Ondra said:

But some of them have visible woman traits.

Im talking especially about this pink haired figure 60337-LEGO-Personen-Schnellzug_2.jpg

It range into confusing category, I probably dont want to be confused or kids by toy.

What’s confusing? 

55 minutes ago, williejm said:

Four of those are not ‘gender neutral’ @MAB

Yes, I know. That is why they are there - to show that in many cases gender neutral ones typically look just as good as gender specific. Of course there are situations where it makes no or little sense to be gender neutral, and in that case there is no reason to make it as gender neutral. Like these:

cas412.jpg?3col086.jpg?1col031.jpg?1

They could then go towards more multi-purpose sets like these by including an extra hair and head (or use dual sided male / female heads if needs be) ....

853906-1.png5004931-1.png

If they did this in a City set, and someone had just that set and wanted the two adults to be a mum and a dad, or two mums, or two dads, and their single child is a boy, or a girl, then (nearly) everyone is happy.

You want all the police to be male? No problem. You want them all to be female? No problem. You want them to be mixed? No problem. It doesn't have to be every set, where it makes sense they can still easily do male specific and female specific characters.

To me, this female minifigure is no less of a female because she does not have a female specific torso. It is also used for a male.

cty0911.jpghol084.jpg

And in fact that torso has been used in 10 figures, only one/two (it depends how you make the figure in the birthday set) of them male (above).To me, prints like that are ideal when possible.

Edited by MAB

Ah sorry. Yes agree with all of that @MAB - I mean it’s hardly as if minifigs have human proportions anyway! I love the idea of interchangeable heads being more common … saw someone once suggest in CMFs that we should have dual sided heads with one ‘male’ and one ‘female’ to give some figures more flexibility or interpretation. 

11 minutes ago, Ondra said:

Why is it confusing? Do all LEGO women have to have a visible bust and a narrow waist (which is narrower than their daughters' ?)

Just now, MAB said:

Why is it confusing? Do all LEGO women have to have a visible bust and a narrow waist (which is narrower than their daughters' ?)

Next people will be changing the hairpieces around!

1 minute ago, williejm said:

Pink is not natural hair colour and never will be...

Just now, Ondra said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dude, you need a new hobby. 

10 minutes ago, williejm said:

I actually do that with my minifigs. 

3 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

I actually do that with my minifigs. 

That’s kind of the point with interchangeable parts though 🤷🏽‍♂️

14 minutes ago, williejm said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dude, you need a new hobby. 

Get religion, having some faith is good thing...

1 hour ago, Ondra said:

I mean, the bright red that's been used for hair since the 70s isn't exactly a natural colour either. Nor is pink hair new for Lego.

Not sure what's wrong with plastic toys coming in a wide variety of colours.

Just now, Alexandrina said:

I mean, the bright red that's been used for hair since the 70s isn't exactly a natural colour either. Nor is pink hair new for Lego.

Not sure what's wrong with plastic toys coming in a wide variety of colours.

Thankfully they all have natural bright yellow skin tones!

There’s definitely a concerted move by lego to include more ‘colourful’ hairpieces. Great move as far as I’m concerned, they’re popular with kids, fun, and certainly when I live, coloured hair is very common - so more people will ‘see’ themselves and their families/friends as minifigs.

1 hour ago, Ondra said:

Get religion, having some faith is good thing...

I'm donating $6.66 to The Satanic Temple in your name.