Lego David

Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

1 hour ago, Ondra said:

Get religion, having some faith is good thing...

Faith is good, I grant you. But my favourite George Michael track is probably Outside - it’s a total bop. Oh, and I already have them all, thanks. 

26 minutes ago, williejm said:

Thankfully they all have natural bright yellow skin tones!

There was reason for that, they want figures for anybody. Race neutral, but it kinda backfired badly with NBA players.

4 minutes ago, williejm said:

Faith is good, I grant you. But my favourite George Michael track is probably Outside - it’s a total bop. Oh, and I already have them all, thanks. 

I'm just thankful for all the Careless Whispers that come out year-round, otherwise we'd have no leaks to speculate on!

1 minute ago, Ondra said:

There was reason for that, they want figures for anybody.

So it's a good thing they're releasing so many different colours of hair for people who have uncommon hair colours

7 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

I'm donating $6.66 to The Satanic Temple in your name.

So edgy, make anything you feel like bad boy ...

1 minute ago, Alexandrina said:

I'm just thankful for all the Careless Whispers that come out year-round, otherwise we'd have no leaks to speculate on!

So it's a good thing they're releasing so many different colours of hair for people who have uncommon hair colours

I have few of grey hairs thanks to stress, sadly Im not represented... Young male figure with grey hairs, there is none of them...

31 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Not sure what's wrong with plastic toys coming in a wide variety of colours.

... and certainly nothing wrong with real people dying their hair in a wide variety of colors!

Best,
Thorsten

2 minutes ago, Ondra said:

Yeah it's way, way cooler than proselytizing on a Lego forum.

3 minutes ago, Ondra said:

I have few of grey hairs thanks to stress, sadly Im not represented... Young male figure with grey hairs, there is none of them...

Men are so underrepresented!

2 minutes ago, Toastie said:

... and certainly nothing wrong with real people dying their hair in a wide variety of colors!

Best,
Thorsten

What colour did you go for Thorsten?

1 minute ago, williejm said:

Men are so underrepresented!

But female heavy machinery and hard work figures are somewhat overrepresented. Last time I checked some building sites IRL there was none of them...

But hey lego city, is some kind of fantasy utopia... Make it realistic, not idealistic...

1 minute ago, koalayummies said:

proselytizing

Man! That >is< a nice word. I have never ever seen that combination of letters! Google knows it (of course) :pir-laugh:

If you don't mind, I'll post that in our group chat as a proposal for the next "word of the week" - thus far, "epiphany" was there for a long time.:pir-huzzah2:

Best,
Thorsten

(BTW, in one of the meetings of the Am Soc Mass Spec couple of years ago, one of our posters had the number 667. The guy with #666 did not know what was going on, that was fun) 

8 minutes ago, Ondra said:

Young male figure with grey hairs, there is none of them...

Aside from the fact that hair pieces can easily be swapped:

hol033.jpg?2

ovr032.jpg?1

spd010.jpg

There are a few young-looking male minifigures with grey hair. This is disregarding a whole load with the plain smiley who could just as easily also be classed as young.

2 minutes ago, Ondra said:

But hey lego city, is some kind of fantasy utopia...

Is this pretty much not Lego's direct stated goal for their products? The sets are supposed to be a nice environment for kids to play - and the increased number of female minifigures was a direct response to criticism that there were barely any female minifigures in non-licensed sets. It tells young girls that they're just as allowed to be mechanics/engineers as boys are - which in time will lead to more women in these occupations.

7 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Yeah it's way, way cooler than proselytizing on a Lego forum.

IN JOKER VOICE

"When is somebody talking about religion on gtaforums nobody bats an eye, when is somebody talking about religion on lego forum everybody loses their mind.

World is angry place, angrier as it can be!"

8 minutes ago, williejm said:

What colour did you go for Thorsten?

Thus far, I am just collecting all the Fifty Shades of Grey. Doesn't make much sense to dye - as someone being a little dim on colors (I though the new passenger train was orange ... :pir-grin:) - I do like all bright and well-defined, make no mistake colors like BLUE and YELLOW or even GREEN.

Greywise, I call myself an expert, though.

Best
Thorsten

3 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Is this pretty much not Lego's direct stated goal for their products? The sets are supposed to be a nice environment for kids to play - and the increased number of female minifigures was a direct response to criticism that there were barely any female minifigures in non-licensed sets. It tells young girls that they're just as allowed to be mechanics/engineers as boys are - which in time will lead to more women in these occupations.

They will be getting jobs and being allowed to vote next! Then what?!

heck - Kylie Minogue played a car mechanic on Neighbours way back in the 1980s. With a huge frizzy perm! lego took a while to catch up.

It’s genuinely great, although I appreciate it may be ‘unpopular’ with *some* members, to see equality and diversity being better represented across all Lego themes, products and merchandising. It matters so much, for those who it matters to.

9 minutes ago, Ondra said:

But hey lego city, is some kind of fantasy utopia... Make it realistic, not idealistic...

They probably don't want to turn all their little wide-eyed customers into misanthropes.

1 minute ago, williejm said:

With a huge frizzy perm! lego took a while to catch up.

I do love the fact that Lego never actually released any "Eighties hair" in the Eighties themselves! And yet the original pigtails hair feels very much a product of its era.

8 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I dont know, my utopia doesnt contain attack police choppers shooting net towards another escaped prisoner. My utopia doesnt contain crime at all...

1 minute ago, koalayummies said:

They probably don't want to turn all their little wide-eyed customers into misanthropes.

always said Miss Anne Thrope would be my drag name! 💅🏻

I dont know, my utopia doesnt contain attack police choppers shooting net towards another escaped prisoner. My utopia doesnt contain crime at all...

I think given how many prisoners seem to be on the loose, Lego City's got sort of a Tom and Jerry deal going on with its cops and robbers. Sort of "we'll deliberately not put much security in place here, so you'll escape and we can catch you again" - a symbiotic relationship.

But also because kids love action and good guys catching bad guys with nets is about the cleanest form of action you can have.

6 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

I was pretty shocked, when I found that world is not like in Lego catalogues.

Definitely another steps towards beign cynical...

Just now, Ondra said:

I was pretty shocked, when I found that world is not like in Lego catalogues.

Definitely another steps towards beign cynical...

Me too. I was promised Dragons, Spaceships & a world full of men!

cop and robber, fire/rescuing cats and fire deparment, medics and hurt people, gives kids some goals.

Of course kids can still make up their own scenarios, but LEGO is even making duplo superhero characters now, pretty much predefined story from young ages.

At least the mission sets stray a bit off the direction of "build this via instruction" , altho that's a bit overshadowed by the whole "no instructions , use app" on the box.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 minute ago, TeriXeri said:

cop and robber, fire/rescuing cats and fire deparment, medics and hurt people, gives kids some goals.

Of course kids can still make up their own scenarios, but LEGO is even making duplo superhero characters now, pretty much predefined story from young ages.

This is why I’m a dog person. My dog never makes me call the fire brigade out! 

2 minutes ago, williejm said:

Why are you hate mens? It was not my problem that female figures was mostly in paradisa sets...

Why are you hate mens? 

I mean I don’t. Except when I do. But you wouldn’t understand.

8 minutes ago, williejm said:

I was told there would be hordes of tattered-clothed, unsanitary, grotesquely-wounded hairy buccaneers. And only one chick in the entire West Indies! Utopia. :pir-huzzah1: