Lego David

Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

3 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

For me it varies. I love wildlife molds like the new kittens and squirrels or even larger ones like the elephants and bears City has had, and loved the molded animal characters in Elves. But for things like the Ninjago dragons, which are the core subjects of a large number of sets, I get a lot more out of the varied and interesting builds than I would out of getting a bunch of samey molded dragons year after year. For me it's largely a size thing—if an animal is big enough that you can achieve a high enough standard of detail and better articulation with a brick-built figure than you could with a molded creature, I tend to prefer brick-built. If an animal is so small that it'd look unnaturally blocky or lifeless if constructed out of bricks, I tend to prefer molded animals. And there's wiggle room in between, where for example a brick-built animal with a molded head (like the larger Elves dragons and creatures, or some Ninjago creatures) can capture the best of both worlds.

Each to their own! Btw, we haven't spoken in ages. Do you have me muted or something? 

2 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

Another possible unpopular opinion: animal moulds are better than buildable animals. They are not only cheaper to buy, but they also fit into my town better. I wonder if they have a deer mould? It would be nice if they did. 

The reindeer mold is the closest to an actual deer as we have right now.  

4 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

Another possible unpopular opinion: animal moulds are better than buildable animals. They are not only cheaper to buy, but they also fit into my town better. I wonder if they have a deer mould? It would be nice if they did. 

Agreed, I love collecting molded animals from different themes (City, Harry Potter, Jurasic World, etc) except for Freinds-esque animals. I’m not just a fan of these eye prints. 

And yes, we do have reindeer from Winter Village lines (Elf Clubhosue and Santa’s Sleigh sets). No moose, elk, or doe yet. 

50 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Agreed, I love collecting molded animals from different themes (City, Harry Potter, Jurasic World, etc) except for Freinds-esque animals. I’m not just a fan of these eye prints. 

And yes, we do have reindeer from Winter Village lines (Elf Clubhosue and Santa’s Sleigh sets). No moose, elk, or doe yet. 

Before @roebuck has to come and explain - ‘deer’ and in this case ‘reindeer’ is a bit confusing. The ‘deer’ we have is some sort of red deer stag, or a kind of reindeer caricature (it’s definitely not an actual reindeer). The colour way it comes in is passable (but not perfect) as a red deer.

Interestingly, the red deer we have in Europe is basically what N Americans call an elk over there … and what we call an elk in Europe, is what N Americans call a moose. Common names are confusing! 😜

But man - we need moose. 

By the way - @Robert8 designed a really nice ‘small’ deer that could be a fawn or a roe deer perhaps, in his custom CMFs. Really hope to see something like that some day. 

1 hour ago, williejm said:

Before @roebuck has to come and explain - ‘deer’ and in this case ‘reindeer’ is a bit confusing. The ‘deer’ we have is some sort of red deer stag, or a kind of reindeer caricature (it’s definitely not an actual reindeer). The colour way it comes in is passable (but not perfect) as a red deer.

Interestingly, the red deer we have in Europe is basically what N Americans call an elk over there … and what we call an elk in Europe, is what N Americans call a moose. Common names are confusing! 😜

But man - we need moose. 

By the way - @Robert8 designed a really nice ‘small’ deer that could be a fawn or a roe deer perhaps, in his custom CMFs. Really hope to see something like that some day. 

Very fascinating! Thanks for giving us a quick fact, it’s quire confusing. 

You are absolutely right about elk and moose in Europe and North America respectively - I once visited Ireland and I mistook elk for moose when I saw images or display over there! This jsut refreshens my memory. 

And we really need fawn for sure. 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

There is also the fawn from Snow White's Forest Cottage, but that is discontinued, plus Disneyfied so not a "real" Lego animal.

23 hours ago, Ondra said:

Im not participating in many internet communities, but Im sure to say that Afol one is worst of all. Sadly It was all the way even in first years of internet forums back in 2000s . It gets worse with licensed themes, because many of licensed theme participants are not interested in lego at all. Big problem is that these folks, forget that lego is primary children's toys. Always has been.

What does this mean? If someone buys licensed LEGO sets, joins a lego discussion forum and discusses licensed lego sets then I'd say they are interested in LEGO. In fact, no less interested in LEGO than a LEGO pirates fan, or a City fan, or a minifigures fan, or anyone else here. Similarly there are non-licensed fans that forget lego used to be a child's toy. I say used to be because a significant minority of sets are now sets aimed at adults.

I consider myself a fan of lego even though I'd probably consider buying less than 1/4 of the sets they produce, and actually buy maybe just 1-2% of what they produce for my own use. There are some themes I prefer and some I'd never buy or discuss. Does that make me less of a fan of LEGO?

More than that, it's not like Lego don't make enough for everyone who wants them. People buying a licensed set for the license is just more profit for TLG, and therefore more chance they'll make other cool sets.

1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

People buying a licensed set for the license is just more profit for TLG, and therefore more chance they'll make other cool sets.

Yes, but I guess with a relative weight of 1 for the cool and 50 for the profit :pir-skel:

:pir-wink: Best
Thorsten

On 4/10/2022 at 12:37 AM, Ondra said:

Im not participating in many internet communities, but Im sure to say that Afol one is worst of all. Sadly It was all the way even in first years of internet forums back in 2000s . It gets worse with licensed themes, because many of licensed theme participants are not interested in lego at all. Big problem is that these folks, forget that lego is primary children's toys. Always has been.

Wow, gatekeeping much?  I've been reading AFOL forums since the year 2002, and I've generally found them very welcoming and positive places - even the ones focused on specific themes, like BZPower (Bionicle) or the old FBTB (Star Wars).  Those specialized forums sustained my interest in Lego through the mid-2000s.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:02 PM, Ondra said:

I think AFOL community and Afol youtube community is full of manchilds and cry babies and weirdos, that dont know anything outside lego bubble. There are mostly fellas that are into consumerism and cant build anything without instructions.

Im ashamed when somebody call me afol, I just found it like insult....

Watch it now! You're saying that on a forum for AFOLs. 

Ever since I've become an AFOL, I have met both the good and the bad side - the former being more than the latter. I hate to break this to you, but there's only one problem. The ones who have the ideology that you have are part of the bad side. Just saying. 

This is the internet. People have a right to talk about what they don't like and if others get triggered over it, they are the issue. That doesn't mean we're man child's or consumerists who don't know how to MOC. We're simply hard-core fans who are having a discussion. 

Edited by Poodabricks

8 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

We're simply hard-core fans

Well, no. First, for me there is no "we" - there are individuals. Second, I am no way a hard-core fan of TLG. In contrast. I do like their product, i.e. their bricks'n'plates - as I do like many alternatives, model wise - and in the meantime - brick-quality wise. 

Yes, this is an AFOL forum - but hopefully nowhere near any type of hard-core (for me, of course). That is exactly why I am here since more than a decade. Actually, I believe that that "hard-core" bit is rendering the "fan" bit being less of a fan but rather a cultist.

I like soft core much better. It allows more of a clear sky sight.

Cheers,
Thorsten

17 hours ago, Toastie said:

Yes, this is an AFOL forum 

Wait I thought thre are some TFOL fans here on Eurobricks? I know you said “an AFOl forum” but there are some TFOL users somewhere.

2 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Wait I thought thre are some TFOL fans here on Eurobricks? I know you said “an AFOl forum” but there are some TFOL users somewhere.

TFOL? 

2 hours ago, williejm said:

TFOL? 

Teenager Fan of Lego. :)

Oh I have been ninja’ed.

Edited by DBlegonerd7

2 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Teenager Fan of Lego.

Ah okay. I guess some adults are teenagers, and some teenagers are adults. 

6 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Teenage Fan of LEGO :wink: 

You know I was totally looking for the Trans Fans Of Lego crew ;) 

7 hours ago, williejm said:

You know I was totally looking for the Trans Fans Of Lego crew ;) 

Trans Fans Of Lans sounds better.

Not sure what Lans is though...

Edited by Stuartn

1 minute ago, Alexandrina said:

Trans Fans Of Flans? we have that nice printed tile from BAM 

6 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

LAN: Lego Ambassador Network!

On 4/11/2022 at 6:43 PM, Toastie said:

Well, no. First, for me there is no "we" - there are individuals. Second, I am no way a hard-core fan of TLG. In contrast. I do like their product, i.e. their bricks'n'plates - as I do like many alternatives, model wise - and in the meantime - brick-quality wise. 

Yes, this is an AFOL forum - but hopefully nowhere near any type of hard-core (for me, of course). That is exactly why I am here since more than a decade. Actually, I believe that that "hard-core" bit is rendering the "fan" bit being less of a fan but rather a cultist. 

I like soft core much better. It allows more of a clear sky sight.

It's something I always liked about Eurobricks and its community. People here love Lego the product but are not afraid to criticize Lego the company. At one point, it was practically the only Lego forum on the internet like that.

I kinda cannot understand obsession with Playmobil in lego community as direct competitors, I watched some april joke again as always bunch of them are again playmobil related.

In my eyes, this doesnt make sense. Lego and Playmobil are completely different toys. Lego is building toys when you can build anything you want and playmobil is roleplaying dollhouse style toy when your playthrough is mostly preset.

Yes there is one detail that makes these toys related, yes figures and minifigures hands.

Yeah, Playmobil is not really a competitor in my eyes, as it’s a construction toy only in loosest sense. They mostly do their own thing instead of copying LEGO, which I have respect for.

…Except for trying to ride the coattails of the success of TLM, which blew up in their faces horrifically :laugh_hard: And their collectable figures also have some similarities, at least when it comes to package design and the timing, which was also suspicious. 

Still leagues above Kre-o that outright copied very specific parts

Edited by BrickBob Studpants