Lego David

Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

4 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

Again, hardly unpopular, especially on forums mainly occupied by adults :wink:

Maybe I'm hanging around the wrong forums then. Seems like every time LEGO brings out a new brick-built animal there are a dozen commenters calling the designers "lazy" for not just making a new single-purpose mold.

4 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

My opinion: some of AFOLs vastly overestimate their power

Oof, good one. If I had a nickel for every AFOL who was convinced their buying power could make or break the company, I'd be eatin' nickel soup.

11 hours ago, tafkatb said:

1. Themes and sets I don't care for have just as much a right to exist as things I like, because LEGO does not exist for the sole purpose of catering to my specific interests.

Finally! Someone who understands!

Edited by Ronan54

1 hour ago, tafkatb said:

Maybe I'm hanging around the wrong forums then. Seems like every time LEGO brings out a new brick-built animal there are a dozen commenters calling the designers "lazy" for not just making a new single-purpose mold.

Thought you were referring to pieces in general, e.g. why have another curved slope or wedge when there are so many already :shrug_oh_well:

I don't know if it's popular or not, don't see it discussed here, but I HATE big figs, mainly their semi squat pose which you can't change, way too comical and too different from a minifig.

6 hours ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

(With a few exceptions) Lego Star Wars stopped being fun about five movies and 20,000 kits ago, now it just seems repetitive and tedious.

Hear! Hear!

Feeling the CMF bags is cheating. It also wrecks the appearance of the display for whoever comes after you--rumpled bags lying askew. You should just pick out some and hope you get what you want.

Edited by Karalora

Ooh, I have a few:

The use of numbered bags in sets compartmentalises the building process too much, sets with unnumbered bags are much more fun because it encourages rummaging for pieces and lets you be surrounded by open bags of Lego.

Instruction manuals are ridiculously oversimplified these days, they seem to do no more than three pieces per step. Older sets have a more interesting experience, e.g. the Explorien sets had you playing spot-the-diffeence to see what got added each step, or technic sets like the 8480 Space Shuttle show dozens of parts in a single callout making you think carefully about what you are building.

Also, I love it when a set has a large number of stickers.  I find doing stickers to be very calming as it forces me to slow down, to work carefully, so I do a good job with them. 

(Please note these are purely personal opinions, and you are quite entitled to disagree with me!)

Edited by NathanR

Lego should use way less different colours and concentrate on getting out as many different pieces as possible in those select colours that are used. I mean, for the basic 1x1 brick comes in 58 different colours and of those there are something like 10 different hues of blue available. Who needs all that?

1 hour ago, NathanR said:

Instruction manuals are ridiculously oversimplified these days, they seem to do no more than three pieces per step. Older sets have a more interesting experience, e.g. the Explorien sets had you playing spot-the-diffeence to see what got added each step, or technic sets like the 8480 Space Shuttle show dozens of parts in a single callout making you think carefully about what you are building.

Yep!

While it is kinda hard to compare old to new sets, because even comparable sets usually have way more parts nowadays, the instructions used to be a lot more straightforward. 50-100 piece vehicle build? Here's a double sided piece of paper with a couple of steps, and you're done. Nowadays, that would require a 20-40 page booklet :look:.

Some thoughts of my own:

Lego relies too much on licensed themes and has pretty much forgotten what its own product was actually designed for. Lego nowadays actually doesn't want its customers to come up with new creations, instead if ypou want something new, you should just buy another set.

Lego's pricing policy is all over the place and at time smakes no sense at all. Some sets offer pretty good value, while others are just way, way overpriced.

Replacing actual remote controls with apps on mobile phones is an extremely stupid idea that will render all the new components useless in a few years time.

Lego has too many special interest themes.

Lego produces way too many Star Wars sets.

I am not a fan of Ninjago.

Lego should celebrate either the first plastic brick (1949) or the anniversary of the company which was founded in 1932. Not the plastic brick as we know it today (1958).

On 8/23/2019 at 2:56 AM, TeriXeri said:
  • Creator 3-in-1 and other open-backed buildings are fine

I’d take this further. My unpopular opinion: I prefer City/Town/Creator 3-in-1 scale to modular scale for these reasons:

•It’s easier to make a city, or at least a few downtown blocks. When I bought modulars and made modular MOCs, I never got more than a street. Now that I’ve scaled down, I’m in the process of making a bigger town that looks more alive.

•The City/Town/Creator 3-in-1 scale is obviously smaller than life. But when you look at the modulars, you’ll see that they are also undersized—just less so. Most of them lack plenty of details.

•There are fewer constraints outside of modular-style buildings. I made a tiki bar modular, and one of my next projects is to change it to a smaller-scale building. Already I can think of lots of ways to make it even better.

•Making modular MOCs takes a ton of plain bricks that won’t necessarily be seen often (see point 1).

•While I appreciate the detailed interiors, the lack of an open back makes playing much more difficult.

•The size, scale, and detail of modulars means anything that’s not packed with detail looks sorely out of place. Relatively plain “filler” or background buildings are easier to pull off if you’re not using the modular standard.

I’m sure there are other reasons I’m forgetting, too.

Edited by Still Raindrop

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

- City is way to repetitive

Tbh, that's not really an unpopular opinion. Go on YouTube, Facebook, MeWe and any other forms of social media and you'll find out that others agree with that. 

The only people I've met who either get triggered by that argument are here on Eurobricks. 

Careful, this thread is ooooulld, but should not be put to rest yet...

My unpopular opinion:

I don't care for animal moulds. Especially not the big ones like dragons and dinosaurs. This is Lego after all, not Playmobil or Schleich. Creator 3-in-1 regularly gives us good examples for brick-built animals, even small ones like dogs (31104 or 31097) and birds.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:52 AM, suffocation said:

Most Afols are wankers.

Most Afols think they're so clever because they collect hundreds of sets & minifigs and share hundreds of pics that reek of "omg look at how rich I am, I just spent my children's college fund and inheritance on Lego but at least I've enlarged my e-penis" but couldn't piece two bricks together without detailed instructions.

On 8/25/2019 at 10:41 PM, PickleManDan said:

I enjoy stickers in sets. I like them equally the same as printed parts, and I have no preference over either.

The only two unpopular opinions in this topic...

Anyway:

• I hate brown lego, I only use it in moc's if the parts are not visible, so I do not waste the nicer colors. I think it is unpopular because I see a lot of people being happy if they see lots of brown in sets (or am I just not in on the joke?)
  • I like lots of colors (not brown), as such, I like it when technic sets have red, blue, yellow,... pins clearly visible. I think it is unpopular because I see a lot of people in topics of MOCs saying that those should be covered up. Which is a shame in my opinion

55 minutes ago, Rotbart said:

I don't care for animal moulds. Especially not the big ones like dragons and dinosaurs. This is Lego after all, not Playmobil or Schleich. Creator 3-in-1 regularly gives us good examples for brick-built animals, even small ones like dogs (31104 or 31097) and birds.

Molded animals will always look better than anything brickbuilt animals can achieve though. Brick-built by it's nature just looks way too blocky, which I don't like. On top of that, the larger animals mold are still made up of multiple parts instead of only one piece (like Playmobil usually is) so the potential for MOCing is still there. 

Here’s one people won’t like to hear, but in my opinion, AFOLs are way too blinded by their nostalgia for classic Lego themes, like Classic Space, Castle, Pirates, etc. I can certainly understand wanting to have your favor if e Lego themes, but I’m so sick of hearing people complain all of the time that theme x, y, or z is still being made instead of more sets from those classic themes.

Edited by The Stud

-Modular was revolutionary in 2010 but it's played out now and just consists of 20 and 30-something AFOLs posting pictures of streets to Reddit that all look exactly the same.  It is Lego minus creativity.   Your Modular street has more in common with Funko Pop than you want. to admit.

-The Bluebrixx 2021 lineup looks better than what we've seen of the 2021 Lego Creator Expert lineup thus far.

-Lego Star Wars is just the same tired designs over and over again.

1 hour ago, CopperTablet said:

-Modular was revolutionary in 2010 but it's played out now and just consists of 20 and 30-something AFOLs posting pictures of streets to Reddit that all look exactly the same.  It is Lego minus creativity.   Your Modular street has more in common with Funko Pop than you want. to admit.

r/Lego is pretty much a AFOL circlejerk at this point. From my experience, it doesn't matter how good your MOC is but if you post it at the wrong time, it will just be ignored in favor of the 1000th idiot holding a UCS Millennium Falcon box.

3 minutes ago, Black-Brick said:

r/Lego is pretty much a AFOL circlejerk at this point. From my experience, it doesn't matter how good your MOC is but if you post it at the wrong time, it will just be ignored in favor of the 1000th idiot holding a UCS Millennium Falcon box.

You probably use the wrong sites then. Decent MOCs posted here are rarely ignored.

29 minutes ago, MAB said:

You probably use the wrong sites then. Decent MOCs posted here are rarely ignored.

Depends on the theme or subject of the MOC, I have seen a lot of impressive MOCs barely noticed because they are obscure or not something multimedia related.

47 minutes ago, MAB said:

Yeah I recently reactivated my old eurobricks account just for that! Also I feel like I should clarify that only really the main Lego subreddits (r/lego and probably r/legostarwars ) are bad. There are a lot of smaller theme specific Lego subreddits that are way better and more MOC-friendly which Is pretty much only place on reddit that I post to now.