Lego David

Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

A topic to share any opinion you have that isn't very popular with the rest of the community. What LEGO set or theme do you like but everyone else hates? What set or theme do you hate but everyone else loves? 

Share all your unpopular opinions about this (or about LEGO in general)

• The Classic Castle theme should never return
  • Nexo Knights was actually good
  • The Ninjago City set is 0 imaginative
  • Most of the Ninjago Movie sets aren't that good
  • The Lego City space wave looks cool
  • HS is better than MF

And I think I have no more

Edited by Ronan54

There was nothing wrong with the color-coding in Knight's Kingdom 2.

Likewise, fantasy-based Winter Village sets are fine.

Edited by Karalora

Jack Stone and Galidor were really just grea... no... no, I can't do it!

6 hours ago, LegoDW said:

I kinda liked some of the bugs in Galaxy Squad.

Agreed!

Market Street doesn't count as a Modular Building.

• I don't like Flesh toned minifigs
  • Nexo Knights was a good theme
  • Creator 3-in-1 and other open-backed buildings are fine
  • I don't like the concept of CMF series, while figures are great, the whole random/blind bag system is bad, especially for online purchases.
  • LEGO should stop making any exclusive/regional sets+figures
  • LEGO should go back making Seasonal vignettes/minifigure sets instead of Brickheadz.
Edited by TeriXeri

14 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Can’t stand fleshies. They’re an abomination

Agreed.

14 hours ago, Ronan54 said:

Nexo Knights was actually good

Yes! Finally someone who admits it!

*The Ninjago City set is 0 imaginative

Though I would agree it's a pretty overrated set, I really like all the references hidden in it.

*Most of the Ninjago Movie sets aren't that good

I can't agree more. Honestly, it was probably one of my least favorite Ninjago waves.

14 hours ago, Carrera124 said:

Studded technic is better than studless.

I never liked the look of studded Technic to be honest... it sticks out a but too much.

8 hours ago, LegoDW said:

I kinda liked some of the bugs in Galaxy Squad.

Is that even an unpopular opinion? I loved those.

14 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I don't like the concept of CMF series, while figures are great, the whole random/blind bag system is bad, especially for online purchases

Yep, am totally with you on this one.

15 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:
  • LEGO should stop making any exclusive/regional sets+figures

They are stopping doing regular retail regional sets. Although convention exclusives will remain.

For me:

Printing on fake minifigures has now surpassed the quality of printing on LEGO minifigures. Often the print is 'deeper' so dark colours do not show through lighter print. And because torso and legs are assembled and printed together, continuous prints from torso to legs both lines up correctly and also does not have a gap near the bottom of the torso.

5 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I never liked the look of studded Technic to be honest... it sticks out a but too much.

Well, the modern studless technic models look like cheap China toys, at least for my opinion.

And they constructions are weak and wobbly, you need a zillion of connectors to make them somewhat sturdy.
(of course, this increases the official "parts count content" printed on the box).

The studded technic sets need way less parts to get constructions that are more solid...

Classic police should be the only police subtheme for City. 

Don't axe the explorers themes. But take them away from City because having them there kinda defeats the purpose. That should be it's on theme; LEGO Explorers. 

The fire wave for this year is the best one we've got in 6 years. I actually think the squeezing water cannon system is pretty cool. 

Sky Police made no sense.

We need more town-based subthemes for City. We've hardly had any in ages. 

Most Afols are wankers.

Most Afols think they're so clever because they collect hundreds of sets & minifigs and share hundreds of pics that reek of "omg look at how rich I am, I just spent my children's college fund and inheritance on Lego but at least I've enlarged my e-penis" but couldn't piece two bricks together without detailed instructions.

1. Themes and sets I don't care for have just as much a right to exist as things I like, because LEGO does not exist for the sole purpose of catering to my specific interests.

2. "AFOL" is a misnomer except under the loosest possible definitions of both "adult" and "fan."

3. Printed parts (especially legs and arms) are vastly overrated.

4. Innovative uses of existing parts are more interesting than just making new molds.

I love the various different stud shooters.

I’m not fond of flesh toned minifigures either, as long as I can swap the hands with no visible sign of Leah on the main torso, I’m happy.

35 minutes ago, J4ck said:

I’m not fond of flesh toned minifigures either, as long as I can swap the hands with no visible sign of Leah on the main torso, I’m happy.

I'm completely the opposite but have the same view about torsos. So long as I can remove the yellow hands and replace them with fleshie ones, they are fine. So much so that I have a few AFOL friends where we exchange heads and hands in bulk.

3 hours ago, Lego David said:

I can't agree more. Honestly, it was probably one of my least favorite Ninjago waves.

I don't even consider it a Ninjago wave :laugh:

* Buying Lego is an environmentally unfriendly hobby.

* Most Friends sets get built once then gather dust and are never played with or used for MOCs.

*Most modern children in most countries have no interest in Pirates, Castles, Cowboys (or Classic Space).

*The Padawan Menace and The Yoda Chronicles were much funnier, charming and more inventive than any of the Lego movies.

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

LEGO should go back making Seasonal vignettes/minifigure sets instead of Brickheadz.

I don't see how this is unpopular. I'm not against BHs themselves, it's just that vignettes have so much charm and go well with the "main course", Winter Village sets. At least they could do one Brickhead, one vignette (and not just for Christmas).

4 hours ago, tafkatb said:

Innovative uses of existing parts are more interesting than just making new molds

Again, hardly unpopular, especially on forums mainly occupied by adults :wink:

My opinion: some of AFOLs vastly overestimate their power, clamoring that if classic themes were to come back, they would outsell any other theme, bring back the company to former glory etc. Just becaue they would buy them, doesn't mean it would be enough to consider such a revival succesful. Also with the new standards, pieces and techniques, it's guaranteed they wouldn't be fully satisfied, because the sets wouldn't look and feel the same.

- The Endgame sets are a complete joke.

- Chima and Nexo Knights are good themes.

- Minifigures are overvalued.

- The CMFs have become worse and worse over time.

- Star Wars is overrated. 

- I don't mind specialized parts. Trying to find smart usages for them can be challenging, but it can lead to amazing results. 

- I don't like the Brickheadz. 

Edited by Lego David

Large $250+ sets shouldn't include exclusive figures.

Collecting custom minifigures is more fun and less frustrating than collecting official Lego minifigures

I'll bite, hold on while I get my grumpy old man hat...

* Great sets don't rely stickers, prints or figures.  If leaving off the stickers and ditching the mini-figures/mini-dolls diminishes the rest of the build, it wasn't that great a design in the first place.

* Collectable minifigures and the whole blind grab-bag scheme does nothing for me.

* The only use I've found for Brickheadz is as a source for SNOT bricks and bows

* I really liked Exo-force

* I never really cared for Bionicle - story, movies, comics or product line (but I'll give it credit for keeping the company afloat) 

* (With a few exceptions) Lego Star Wars stopped being fun about five movies and 20,000 kits ago, now it just seems repetitive and tedious.

6 minutes ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

I really liked Exo-force

Not really unpopular.

6 minutes ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

I never really cared for Bionicle - story, movies, comics or product line (but I'll give it credit for keeping the company afloat

But have actually even tried all that stuff you don't care about? I can almost guarantee that you will find at least something you will enjoy in there if you take a more in-depth look.

8 minutes ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

With a few exceptions) Lego Star Wars stopped being fun about five movies and 20,000 kits ago, now it just seems repetitive and tedious.

Glad I am not the only one who shares that opinion.