Sign in to follow this  
BrickMusher

[MOC] NS-1845 "Middelburg" Locomotive

Hallo everyone,

here is a new model of my "Nez Cassé" series. This time, it is a model of dutch "Nederlandse Spoorwegen" NS-1600 Series. As with the three other models before, I made slight changes in the outer and inner appearance. On this model, I used some old and scratched bricks to create a somewhat more "used" look than normal.

The train is displayed on a truss-girder bridge, build from the new rollercoaster tracks. Altthough the bridge look somewhat fragile, it is unecspected rigid.

Please finde some more pictures, including a new flatbed-car, at my flickr fotostream: Click here

Hope you enjoy.

http://48579256877_4928c4c351_z.jpgNS-1845 "Middelburg" by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

Regards

BrickMusher

Hi BrickMusher, I see these 1600/1700 series quite often in real life and I think you could / should improve the nose. I really like your bridge and catenary b.t.w.!!!

Looks nice. Although the nose looks indeed a bit off. I am actually more drawn to that bridge. Quite interesting use of the rollercoaster set.

That's a rather neat looking locomotive, although I'm not all that familiar with Dutch trains (my only experience with the Netherlands being 7 hours at the airport in Amsterdam waiting on my connecting flight to Bahrain back in 2004), so I'll leave the serious critiques to the experts.

I do really like how you used the roller coaster tracks to make a steel girder bridge, though.  That is some seriously cool alternative parts usage right there!

I think the bridge deserves its own thread! The engine seems convincing.  I also like the overhead.  It would be easy enough to make the wire zig zag with your design.

I agree with the others. The bridge is great and I'd like to see more of it. The NS 1600 class looks good too. Haven't seen many of them, but I don't roam their territory often.

Many compliments above all for the bridge.

I've a question about your photostream, I see a wonderful looking portion of tracks self made with an interesting option to fix the curved rails, does it function? I mean what kind of flat bottom rails have exactly 8mm of base?

best regards

Sergio

Nice locomotive for sure, being from NL, I've certainly seen those around in the past.

Nowadays, I tend to see more Bombardier TRAXX F140 MS2 locomotives. (NS 186)

Bridge certainly deserves it's own thread as it's great use of parts and in red it looks even better.

Edited by TeriXeri

Another fabulous looking engine in this style, perfected with the working headlights. I suspect you've got quite a fleet of these now, if they're all still assembled.

And as a civil engineer I can't help but admire the job you've done with the bridge. Fantastic work all round!

For a Yankee, the engine is easily recognizable. I would agree with the others that the fantastic bridge is deserving of it's own thread.

Thank You all for your nice and friendly words!! :blush:

I have not exspected so many nice comments, especially since this MOC is allready number four of the same type of Loco.

And I never exspected the bridge to catch so much attention!

I was actually just playing around with the new pieces, when they found together more or less on their own.

At the moment, I just have a problem with my photobox. It is just not wide enough for the whole bridge. I try to fix it and make an own thread for my bridges when ready! BTW, what would be the best place for that thread? So far, I have mostly posted within Train tech forum. Any suggestions?

@JopieK and @Man with a hat, its longe time since I have seen a Dutch train by myself. So I appreciate your advice and will have a closer look on how I can improve that nose issue :thumbup:

@ColletArrow Thank You. Yes, all engines still excist. I´ll do a picture for you of the whole family during the next photosession

@monai Indeed, the rails are DIY. Profiles come in straights, but it´s no big deal to bend them into nearly any radii larger than R40.

They are full metal and I used them on a display with approx. 15m length for a high-speed train. All my trains run with old 9V motors, that works pretty well with theese kind of tracks.

But I think that would also be subjet for an other thread.....

17 hours ago, BrickMusher said:

@JopieK and @Man with a hat, its longe time since I have seen a Dutch train by myself. So I appreciate your advice and will have a closer look on how I can improve that nose issue :thumbup:

Well that nose is a tricky one. There are a lot of LEGO models around of this type and yours is certainly one of the better ones. It is also partly due to the perspective and maybe being 6-wide but still with a height that fits, scale wise, with an 8-wide model perhaps also doesn't help. Looking at your Flickr album from other angles it looks better. Apart from that, the rest of the detailing is superb.

17 hours ago, BrickMusher said:

@monai Indeed, the rails are DIY. Profiles come in straights, but it´s no big deal to bend them into nearly any radii larger than R40.

They are full metal and I used them on a display with approx. 15m length for a high-speed train. All my trains run with old 9V motors, that works pretty well with theese kind of tracks.

But I think that would also be subjet for an other thread.....

I've realised they are DIY (Do It Yourself I presume) but where have you bought such a flat bottom profiles that fit exactly between 2 studs (8mm)? and above all, is this clump strong enough? at the end it is open and a rail can blow up if solicited.

As regard a thread for the bridge I think this forum is perfect, it is a railway bridge.

best regards

Sergio

Can I resume this question?

where have you bought such a flat bottom profiles that fit exactly between 2 studs (8mm)? and above all, is this clump strong enough? at the end it is open and a rail can blow up if solicited.

best regards

Sergio

Hi Sergio,

I very much apologize for the delayed answer, I was just off for a while.

Before I answer about the rails, I have to mention that the original idea was inspired by french FreeLUG´s LGV as shown at Fanabriques Exhibition 2012.

You will easily find Videos on YT from their fabulous train display there.

However, I was not able to get hold of the aluminium-rails they used. Also I had the ambition to balast my tracks in a way that makes it more lookalike to original balasted 9V track. And I had to find a reseller. Last part was probably the biggest problem.

I think I should make an own thread about building and balasting the tracks, but if you cant wait, just search for "code 250" rails meanwhile. Hope that helps for now?!

Once again apologizes for the late reply.

Regards

BrickMusher